Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2015, 03:38 AM

450 posts, read 596,626 times

Advertisements

My ten year old Nissan truck has always been a great vehicle. I have serviced and maintained it and it has served us well. This week it started running strangely and I traced the problem to a cracked air intake manifold connector hose. Three and a half inch inside diameter, two and a half inch total length rubber hose with two clamps. A trip to the car parts stores revealed nobody stocked it. Braving Masters traffic I went across town and learned that Nissan won't sell just the hose but requires you to buy the entire plastic air intake system to get the hose and wants over $74.00 plus tax for it. To get a small rubber hose. Can we say rip off boys and girls (Mr.Roger's neighborhood)?
After recovering from the shock I found the exact same hose with clamps and shipping, plus a year warranty for under $27.00 online from a reputable racing parts company. As usual I checked the Better Business Bureau complaint website to make sure
the online store was on the up and up.
I know that the car company needs to make money but isn't this a bit extreme?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 03:53 AM

45,312 posts, read 60,489,441 times
It's not just Nissan, the same thing happened with a Ford I have and a hose related to the cooling system. Small hose developed a crack, had to buy the whole assembly for a couple hundred dollars.

The assembly looks like Han Solo's ray gun.

Old 04-05-2015, 07:55 AM

119 posts, read 204,315 times
Every dealership does this, I would suggest checking around at local salvage yards.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:53 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,695,879 times
This is nothing new with autos - parts are assembled into components and when a part goes, that whole component gets replaced. I'm frankly surprised the car parts store didn't just sell you a length of hose - almost anything would do I'd think for an air hose.

Old 04-19-2015, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
This is nothing new with autos - parts are assembled into components and when a part goes, that whole component gets replaced. I'm frankly surprised the car parts store didn't just sell you a length of hose - almost anything would do I'd think for an air hose.
Seems like I did get a hose job from Nissan. Their toll free number produced a person who was not at all sympathetic and suggested I trade the truck for a new Nissan. Yep, buy a new truck because the air hose is split. I almost followed her advice until I realized I could get the hose online for under twenty bucks. Saved over fifteen grand and still have my trusty ole Frontier.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:16 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,721,264 times
That's dealers for you. I can't remember the last time I bought a part from a dealership.

Old 04-21-2015, 03:28 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,065,636 times
Yeah this is pretty typical. It's not great but you can't solely blame Nissan as they all do it.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:07 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
I don't see this as a big deal, $74?? That's not a big markup over the $27 item considering you also get the rest of the system. Considering all of the other parts I have priced over the years from any car dealer compared to the auto parts stores, just about anything will be at least $50-100 more at the dealership. I have found a lot of obscure parts cheap online, ebay can be your friend.

Old 04-30-2015, 03:49 PM

Seems like it's always like this. Run a situation up the pole, get upset then walk into a local store and find the exact same part for sale for $7.99 plus tax. So Nissan held out for their expensive sale but lost it all to an auto parts chain store. Guess that's business but isn't a few bucks better than no bucks at all plus a load of bad karma from the guy they tried to gouge? Hmmmmm?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti