Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 06:42 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,006,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
I have a QX60 with 15K miles.. No problem so far.
Are you concerned about the CVT judder issue? I own a 14 Pathfinder and some of these Nissan forums scare the be-jeebers out of me about transmition problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 08:49 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,923,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theedgeoflight View Post
Are you concerned about the CVT judder issue? I own a 14 Pathfinder and some of these Nissan forums scare the be-jeebers out of me about transmition problems.
To be honest. Not so much. I do plan to keep the vehicle for 8-10 years. My understanding is that the CVT problem is mostly on the Pathfinder. We did think about the Pathfinder when I first thought about buying a used JX35. I researched the Pathfinder a bit and decided to spend the extra for the QX. Since I do plan to keep the QX for a while, I did buy the extended warranty.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:11 PM

Quote:
To be honest. Not so much. I do plan to keep the vehicle for 8-10 years. My understanding is that the CVT problem is mostly on the Pathfinder. We did think about the Pathfinder when I first thought about buying a used JX35. I researched the Pathfinder a bit and decided to spend the extra for the QX. Since I do plan to keep the QX for a while, I did buy the extended warranty.
When you buy a Nissan CVT product you roll'z the dice and ya takes yer chances.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:58 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,923,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theedgeoflight View Post
When you buy a Nissan CVT product you roll'z the dice and ya takes yer chances.
I think you will find that with almost all the cars out today. Engine if cars have gotten so good lately but across the board, transmission is a big issue. Prior to going with Nissan, I had two Acura. Guess what was plague with them?

Old 08-30-2015, 10:00 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,822,779 times
Nissan quality and reliability is not what it used to be.

Old 09-02-2015, 06:33 PM

Quote:
I think you will find that with almost all the cars out today. Engine if cars have gotten so good lately but across the board, transmission is a big issue. Prior to going with Nissan, I had two Acura. Guess what was plague with them?
Acura? I figured they were pretty much bullet proof.

Old 10-07-2015, 02:02 PM

17,142 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
On my second Nissan Rogue (2012 and now a 2015) and not 1 issue. Actually I did have a small issue with the cvt whining on the 2012 at 32k miles and I brought it in for service and they performed a cvt fluid flush and fill and it took care of the problem right away.

My neighbor has a 2009 Rogue with over 100k miles and never had an issue either. He performs a cvt fluid change every 30k miles and tell me that while he's aware of some people having cvt issues, he's never had a problem with his.
This.

My 2008 Altima did the whine after a solid hour of driving on the interstate. I got concerned, flushed the fluid (myself) and the problem went away.

What happens is that the fluid breaks down and loses its cooling and lubricating properties over time, which causes the final bearing to overheat (that's the noise you hear.) Change the fluid. If you want to go cheap, get 5 quarts, pull the plug out the bottom, and refill. (That's changing only about half of the fluid, but it works regardless.

Drove my Altima till it had around 300k miles and sold it in 2014. I miss it.

Old 02-10-2016, 12:47 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,174,820 times
CVT's have come along way.. if I had to compare it to a DSG (similar gearbox)(on the German car I drove before), it's day and night. The DSG was very un-refined, clunky and needed fluid change every 40K miles ($350). German quality!!

CVT is smooth and in bumper to bumper traffic there's no jerking/lurching/bucking, whatever you call it, as on the DSG). Service is every 60K miles. It handles traffic well and on new cars, i.e. Murano, it simulates an automatic(upshifting etc..)

Some people who have outdated info need to keep their opinions to themselves unless they speak from experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti