Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2017, 12:12 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,417 times

Advertisements

I have just leased a 2017 Nissan Sentra SV. I've always driven Toyota Corollas before. I liked the way this Nissan handled but would like to know more about it. The good, the bad, the ugly?? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2017, 08:34 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
The good.
Better looking forward nterior and exterior. Feels like a midsize sedan inside instead of a compact car. Very comfortable driver's seat. Looks like an Altima. Good fuel economy thanks to CVT.

The Bad.
Weak engine for its size and class. A 1.8L without turbo nor direct injection can be had for over 145 HP in its competitors. Slow acceleration even with sport mode turned on. Sport mode will feel and sound faster but that's about it. The CVT transmission can be annoying. Some people have learned to live with it and appreciate it's fuel economy.

If you don't accelerate hard and fast and you like comfort, price, and fuel economy then there's nothing wrong with the Sentra. I actually considered the Sentra when I bought my 2015 Elantra. Styling is a personal choice. I prefer having 6 speed auto transmission and 145 HP with better acceleration over what the Sentra offered.

Old 04-30-2017, 03:58 PM

victimofGM: Thank you for answering. I appreciate your honesty. I was in a high pressure to get a different car and this is what I got. Lease for 3 years, can live with that. Can make a change when time to turn in.

Thanks again.

Old 05-01-2017, 12:33 AM

1,088 posts, read 1,462,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
victimofGM: Thank you for answering. I appreciate your honesty. I was in a high pressure to get a different car and this is what I got. Lease for 3 years, can live with that. Can make a change when time to turn in.

Thanks again.
Just to reiterate some of what victimofGM said and add a few points of my own-

Good- Ride quality, spacious rear seat (better than many mid-size sedans), top-of-the-class fuel economy, comfortable driving position, a lot of features for the price (good value)

Bad- weak acceleration due to the underpowered engine and CVT, not exactly 'pretty' (but the Civic takes the cake for ugliest in class), overall driving experience is dull (very average handling and aforementioned acceleration)

As long as you can tolerate driving it for three years, you're fine. It's not a 'bad' car and it will probably meet your needs just fine. When the lease is up, take a look at a Mazda3 if you want to experience the extreme opposite of the Sentra.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:58 PM

I picked my new car up today and took it for a ride.

I'm very happy with it. I did notice a little hesitation with acceleration but truthfully, it could have been me.

Old 05-05-2017, 01:15 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,797,066 times
They are better now compared to a few years ago... my buddy had one for a rental and I was in it..I liked it. They are a little underpowered though I live in a part of the country that has a lot of hills and grades and it's noticeable. The hesitation is due to the CVT engine I believe.

Old 05-18-2017, 03:03 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,006,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I picked my new car up today and took it for a ride.

I'm very happy with it. I did notice a little hesitation with acceleration but truthfully, it could have been me.
It may take time for you to become accustomed to the CVT acceleration characteristics. Learning to drive with the CVT, in mind, will increase your enjoyment and gas mileage of the car. I have owned Nissan CVT equipped cars in the past. Enjoy your new car!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti