Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 07:52 PM

19,012 posts, read 27,562,983 times

Advertisements

Unasked for but here's my impression of this vehicle.
Situation:
rental with 25 000 miles on it, not sure if it's 2017 or 2018 model. AWD.
Drive - approximately 1000 miles from Seattle to Boise. Six mountain passes taken during the trip.
Vehicle load - 230 + 120 + 170 lbs passengers plus maybe 50 lbs luggage.

Average speed maintained around 67 mph (thank you, Idaho for 80 SL)
Average mpg when returned 26.1. Best mpg 26.5.

It's a base model, or something. Very spartan. BT, BSM, VSC, RVC, 4WD lock. That's about it. Power front seats. Heated seats.

I am presuming, it's Nissan response to RAV4 as I have NX200(Lexus RAV4 version) and sitting side by side in garage, they were same length, Nissan was slightly wider and noticeably taller.

Rental had 4 cyl engine, whatever displacement it was.

I'll start with bad.

1. The ugly. Road noise inside is immense. Especially in the rear seat, as I spent 2.5 last hr there, while son was driving. Deafening.
2. The bad. 4cyl engine is absolutely not enough for the vehicle. It is revving loudly trying to giddy up, with very little success. Vehicle actually had Sport mode, I kicked in for an hour, produced NO difference. Per comparison, Sport mode in my NX gives clear added agility.
3. This will be questionable, as it depends on anatomy. Seat. I figure, they are all made this way now - deep for buttocks with stiff front raised edge. In about 1 hr legs start tingling, in 2 hrs, you MUST start spinning in the seat and coming up with weird leg/buttocks positions to restore circulation. Painful. I rented Durango last year, it was even worse. Every new car I set in lately has seats made that way.
4. Rattles. Rear seats, trunk panels. Lots of wind noise.
5. Ton of wind buffeting. It'll literally toss you off the track.

The good:
1. TON of headroom. Both in the front and in the rear. So you were real tall....( I am 6'4.5''). Good shoulder room. Leg room - mehh... Seat does not go back far enough. Pretty decent R knee room, as they lowered center console, so lateral knee does not cram into it. Not so good for the left knee, there just MUST be hard plastic handle there protruding into your leg. Why those handles are staple on new cars, I have no idea. How hard is it to recess handles and door panels INTO THE DOOR, like they had on 91 Civic, I don't know. Appears to be impossible to design that way now.
2. Pretty decent luggage compartment, save for 3 plastic panels there that are supposed to be some sort of functional separators for things, or something. Bunch of various channels where you can place them... Of course, all that rattles ruthlessly when moving. Whatever.
3. Ah. The NICE thing. Zero body lean. Like - none. And I was going fast in curved mountain passes. Seats flat.
4. I expected suspension to be more stiff and bumpy. It wasn't. Was OK. As far as you are in the front seat. In the rear seat - you get it all. I think, rear seat is like right atop the rear axle. I had it all.

Summary: I'll quote my son. It is nothing special.

Will I recommend it? Absolutely not. Maybe with V6. Otherwise, it is lousy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 07:54 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,519,039 times
For more power but higher gas use, step up to the Murano with the CVT and FI V6

Old 04-09-2018, 08:11 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,746,637 times
The CVT doesn't help the engine to put power to the ground. It would be better with a 6 or 8 speed automatic.

Old 04-09-2018, 08:48 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,666,242 times
I'm guessing Nissan must have an edge price/incentive wise on at least the lower trim levels compared to its rivals. No other guess as to why the Rouge sells as well as it does.

Old 04-10-2018, 07:47 AM

70 posts, read 70,340 times
Keep in mind Rogues from 2014 and on have known heater problems. I would not recommend one in a colder climate. The heater has a tendency to stop working on the coldest days.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:15 AM

24,555 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
I'm guessing Nissan must have an edge price/incentive wise on at least the lower trim levels compared to its rivals. No other guess as to why the Rouge sells as well as it does.
Yep. It's cheaper than a RAV4 or CR-V at comparable option/trim level. If someone is shopping "Japanese compact crossover", it will win sales based in price. Toyota and Honda have better brand loyalty so Nissan kind of has to come in at a lower price. Subaru is the same way.

I'm Hertz Five Star. I get "F" class corporate rentals. I usually grab an Altima. I wouldn't want to own one but it's fine as a rental car.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:50 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,552,729 times
Why wouldn’t you just take your Lexus then?

Old 04-10-2018, 08:58 AM

295 posts, read 353,955 times
Wife has a 2015 base model with 3rd row. The 3rd row is a joke though. Ok for kids but no adult is gonna fit back there. Cargo space will now be limited to 2 small backpacks. On a 2 lane highway don't even think of passing with the car fully loaded.

Old 04-10-2018, 10:06 AM

3,464 posts, read 4,835,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Unasked for but here's my impression of this vehicle.
Situation:
rental with 25 000 miles on it, not sure if it's 2017 or 2018 model. AWD.
Drive - approximately 1000 miles from Seattle to Boise. Six mountain passes taken during the trip.
Vehicle load - 230 + 120 + 170 lbs passengers plus maybe 50 lbs luggage.

Average speed maintained around 67 mph (thank you, Idaho for 80 SL)
Average mpg when returned 26.1. Best mpg 26.5.

It's a base model, or something. Very spartan. BT, BSM, VSC, RVC, 4WD lock. That's about it. Power front seats. Heated seats.

I am presuming, it's Nissan response to RAV4 as I have NX200(Lexus RAV4 version) and sitting side by side in garage, they were same length, Nissan was slightly wider and noticeably taller.

Rental had 4 cyl engine, whatever displacement it was.

I'll start with bad.

1. The ugly. Road noise inside is immense. Especially in the rear seat, as I spent 2.5 last hr there, while son was driving. Deafening.
2. The bad. 4cyl engine is absolutely not enough for the vehicle. It is revving loudly trying to giddy up, with very little success. Vehicle actually had Sport mode, I kicked in for an hour, produced NO difference. Per comparison, Sport mode in my NX gives clear added agility.
3. This will be questionable, as it depends on anatomy. Seat. I figure, they are all made this way now - deep for buttocks with stiff front raised edge. In about 1 hr legs start tingling, in 2 hrs, you MUST start spinning in the seat and coming up with weird leg/buttocks positions to restore circulation. Painful. I rented Durango last year, it was even worse. Every new car I set in lately has seats made that way.
4. Rattles. Rear seats, trunk panels. Lots of wind noise.
5. Ton of wind buffeting. It'll literally toss you off the track.

The good:
1. TON of headroom. Both in the front and in the rear. So you were real tall....( I am 6'4.5''). Good shoulder room. Leg room - mehh... Seat does not go back far enough. Pretty decent R knee room, as they lowered center console, so lateral knee does not cram into it. Not so good for the left knee, there just MUST be hard plastic handle there protruding into your leg. Why those handles are staple on new cars, I have no idea. How hard is it to recess handles and door panels INTO THE DOOR, like they had on 91 Civic, I don't know. Appears to be impossible to design that way now.
2. Pretty decent luggage compartment, save for 3 plastic panels there that are supposed to be some sort of functional separators for things, or something. Bunch of various channels where you can place them... Of course, all that rattles ruthlessly when moving. Whatever.
3. Ah. The NICE thing. Zero body lean. Like - none. And I was going fast in curved mountain passes. Seats flat.
4. I expected suspension to be more stiff and bumpy. It wasn't. Was OK. As far as you are in the front seat. In the rear seat - you get it all. I think, rear seat is like right atop the rear axle. I had it all.

Summary: I'll quote my son. It is nothing special.

Will I recommend it? Absolutely not. Maybe with V6. Otherwise, it is lousy.

It isn't that the 4 cylinder isn't big enough to carry the vehicle, the reason it is always "revving" is because Nissan uses a sh!tty CVT transmission. The way the CVT transmission works is it keeps the engine up in the power band where it thinks it needs to be so it often sounds like the car is just revving but not going anywhere. They have actually lost sales because people hate the CVT so bad. Instead of going back to a regular automatic transmission, Nissan keeps playing around with the software programming to try to make the CVT behave and sound more like a regular transmission. However, the more they play with it, the more annoying and worse it gets.

There is a lot of road noise and it is uncomfortable because Nissan's are for the most part cheap made and cheap built. They have a lot of inferior plastic interior parts that are too thin and break. There is a lot of wind noise due to poor sound insulation and again all the cheap thin plastic that transmits the noise. The rattles and creaks are also the cheap plastic parts and lack of padding/insulation.

The seats in all the Nissan's along with their so called luxury line of Infinities have all sucked that I have sat in so it isn't just the Rogue.

On a side note, when I rent a car, I actually call ahead and tell them I specifically do not want a Nissan. We owned an altima a few years ago and we got stuck with one for a rental a couple years ago and I absolutely hate them. I hate driving them, I hate the transmission, I hate the seats and I really dislike all the cheap ass plastic with a thin coat of silver paint that wears off in no time. In my opinion, Nissan targets the cheap market. Even with their Infinity line, they are targeting the low end "luxury" market.

Old 04-10-2018, 12:54 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
I found most entry level vehicles to be noisy uncomfortable bare bones. That’s why they cost what they do. Cheap cars are fatiguing to drive long distances. From the uncomfortable ergonomics to the road, engine and wind noises all contribute to make a driver tired.
I can get in my wife’s 14 year old Infiniti and drive 10 hours and walk out like I drove down the street. In my diesel or my Kia it’s not as comfortable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti