Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2019, 01:53 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,782,569 times

Advertisements

I own a 2014 Nissan Versa that I bought in Oct. 2013. The car is almost 6 years old, but has only 32,500 miles. (I don't drive a whole lot.) I live in humid South Florida.

Last November, my radiator mysteriously went kaput. (I knew something was wrong when smoke started coming out of the car and another driver told me it was leaking antifreeze everywhere.)

I took the car in for maintenance yesterday (5-month oil change and tire rotation) and was told that:

-The transmission fluids had to be replaced
- One of the motor mounts had to be replaced
- The timing belt had to be replaced because it had cracks on it. (They actually showed me the belt.)

I take my car to be serviced at the dealership where I bought it.

For a car that's about to turn 6 years old, do any of the above sound fishy?

We've built a good relationship with the service advisor and doubt that he would take me for a ride.

Could it be the fact that we're dealing with a Nissan Versa? I know it's one of the cheapest cars out there, and I'm not sure if it means the parts are cheaply made as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 11:35 AM

22,145 posts, read 33,667,581 times
The motor mounts and the timing belt are imo fishy. The trans fluid at 30k imo would be time to change it.

I would demand to see the cracking. Timing belt. Those things re supposed to b good for 60k minimum.
Motor mounts shouldn’t be breaking. I replaced one on my Kia but it has almost 150,000

Old 08-21-2019, 11:58 PM

3,358 posts, read 1,249,652 times
don't get cars serviced at the dealer

Old 08-24-2019, 09:25 PM

9,445 posts, read 6,603,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
don't get cars serviced at the dealer
I agree.

Old 08-25-2019, 12:53 AM

1,981 posts, read 6,891,383 times
The transmission in your car is probably a CVT and the fluid change sounds reasonable, both for miles and also age.
I am going to guess that yours does not have a timing belt, rather a serpentine belt. Might be a good idea to change it merely because of age. Rubber deteriorates due to age.
Not sure on the motor mount.
When in doubt, get a second opinion. Also check your owner's manual on the maintenance intervals. Check the services based on months/years rather than mileage as you don't seem to drive much.
I also agree that generally, if the car is not under warranty, you are better off going to a local guy. Ask around for an honest mechanic and befriend him/her.

Old 08-25-2019, 04:53 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,715 posts, read 81,578,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
The motor mounts and the timing belt are imo fishy. The trans fluid at 30k imo would be time to change it.

I would demand to see the cracking. Timing belt. Those things re supposed to b good for 60k minimum.
Motor mounts shouldn’t be breaking. I replaced one on my Kia but it has almost 150,000
He did say that he saw it. A belt going at that age is not unusual, we had to replace in in just two years on a car once. Same with motor mounts, though that’s much more unusual. Whether you get it fixed there or elsewhere you can ask to see the old broken mount. It’s most likely a factory defect that just took this long to show up.

Old 09-29-2019, 12:26 AM

1,485 posts, read 958,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
I own a 2014 Nissan Versa that I bought in Oct. 2013.
Your first mistake is owning a Nissan, with a CVT. They are crap and endless money pits.

My CVT in my 2013 Versa took a crap at 77k miles. With financing charges it cost a grand total of approx. $6,000 to rebuild and my maintenance was up and I don't drive like a maniac. These Versas suck badly.

Now almost a year later I'm getting a code that says the park/neutral switch could be going out! I really regret going cheap when buying this car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti