Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2009, 08:38 PM

1,139 posts, read 3,465,659 times

Advertisements

I took my car for oil change and noticed that the Odometer wasn't working, it had stopped working for a while(speedometer and tachometer work just fine)..

My local mechanic said he couldn't or cannot replace Odometer and asked me to take it to a dealer.

Can I buy a 'used' one or an OEM instead of one from the dealer(am afraid I'll have to pay thro' the nose at the dealer). I tried finding prices online but couldn't find anything.

How much should I expect to pay for parts and labor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 10:16 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,136,328 times
You need to troubleshoot . It may be in the dash cluster or the pick up. Could be a short or blown fuse maybe. You need a repair manual to locate what it is you are trying to repair first. Nissans are crammed with electrical parts

Old 10-28-2009, 04:43 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,047,755 times
Post up in your local forum and see if you can't find a good independent shop that does this sort of work.

Offhand, if the speedo works but the odometer does not, probably your pickup is fine, the problem is in the speedometer head itself.

Does this car have a mechanical odometer or electronic? BMW speedo/odometer heads from this era are sort of famous for the odometer to stop working, there are small plastic gears inside the head that you have to replace.

For a cult car like a BMW, there are mail order outfits that cater to this.

Depending, you may be better off getting a good used dash pod from a junkyard and installing yourself or have any decent mechanic install it.

Chief is right in that your first move needs to be to lay hands on a good shop manual, see what you are up against.

Last edited by M3 Mitch; 10-28-2009 at 04:44 PM.. Reason: Chief & manual

Old 10-28-2009, 05:03 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,903,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaite View Post
I took my car for oil change and noticed that the Odometer wasn't working, it had stopped working for a while(speedometer and tachometer work just fine)..

My local mechanic said he couldn't or cannot replace Odometer and asked me to take it to a dealer.

Can I buy a 'used' one or an OEM instead of one from the dealer(am afraid I'll have to pay thro' the nose at the dealer). I tried finding prices online but couldn't find anything.

How much should I expect to pay for parts and labor?
Yeah Altimas around that year are known for bad speedo clusters. My mom's 96 Altima's speedo and tachometer would work randomly. When it wasn't working the check engine light came on. Is your engine light on? If it's not you should ignore this!!!!!!!!! It's really not worth the fix if you can pass inspection.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:13 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,224,407 times
Leave it broken and make more money when you sell it due to the low miles. LOL, J/K.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post

Does this car have a mechanical odometer or electronic? .
Its mechanical

Old 10-28-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
When it wasn't working the check engine light came on. Is your engine light on? If it's not you should ignore this!!!!!!!!! It's really not worth the fix if you can pass inspection.
Engine light doesn't come on and in the state of FL you don't need vehicle inspection.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:30 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,047,755 times
Probably the most practical fix would be a good used dash cluster from a junkyard. If you plan to keep the car long-term, you could have the original speedo repaired by an outfit like Programma, Hollywood Speedometer, etc. Probably would need to mail it off for repair, thus the beauty of having a spare dash pod.

I don't know about Altimas in particular, but on many import cars the dash pod is not hard to remove and replace, typically you unscrew or unsnap the speedo cable, take a few screws out, unplug a couple of electrical connections, and it's out.

That is, if you want to fix it. You could just do oil changes and similar maintenance based on time and your own estimate of how many miles you drive per week/month. Or track your fuel consumption, estimate your typical MPG for this car, and work back from that.

If you don't plan to keep the car, and really don't care about it that much, you definitely don't have to fix this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti