Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 07:23 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,334,293 times

Advertisements

This happened a few years back but it was just so strange that I had to share it with the wonderful people of CD.
So I got a promotion at work and this guy who I barely knew (I only said hi to him a few times but he was on my team on worked on the same floor) kept asking : "So did you get that promotion buddy." I said "Yes I did."
The next day I find a bottle of champagne wrapped up on my desk. It was from him wishing me congratulations." All my coworkers and friends kept telling me it was so nice of him. All my friends and family thought it was nice.
I thought it was strange and inappropriate.

I told my good friend about it and she agreed that it was very very weird for him to give me a bottle of champagne. My friend said that he seemed like the type of person who would come into work today and shoot everyone.
She said that one day he would talk to her and the next day he would ignore her. She said that she would hear him screaming at customers on the phone anbd banging his desk and kicking his desk in frustration. She then told me he claimed that our company was following him around when he went out for walks and turning the street lights on as he walked by?????
So moral of the story is "I guess it was right. Don't ignore your intuition"
Oh and I never did drink that champagne. He might have poisoned it
Thanks for letting me share my crazy true story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 07:32 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,117,533 times
lol.........wow

Old 10-17-2010, 07:59 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,116,573 times
The champagne was a nice gesture. As long as he doesn't behave strangely with you, then I wouldn't get alarmed yet.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:16 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
I am SO mortified right now. I have had 4 champagne bottles on my desk since moving to the West. All 4 coincided with major milestones in my career. Three of them were from men Worse, I'm a teetotaler.

They probably wanted to intoxicate and molest me.

Even Mrs Chamataka wasn't anywhere in the vicinity to come save her dude's virginity from imminent violation

Last edited by Currency Pair Crocodile; 10-17-2010 at 08:41 AM.. Reason: .

Old 10-17-2010, 08:48 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,860,452 times
or you friend was jealous because she didn't get some as well .

Old 10-17-2010, 08:58 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
I think it's weird. A coworker you barely know gave you a gift (weird), and it was alcohol (weird). Could be that he was just socially inept.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:12 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
Maybe he thinks there is something to gain from your promotion?

Old 10-17-2010, 09:25 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,670,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
This happened a few years back but it was just so strange that I had to share it with the wonderful people of CD.
So I got a promotion at work and this guy who I barely knew (I only said hi to him a few times but he was on my team on worked on the same floor) kept asking : "So did you get that promotion buddy." I said "Yes I did."
The next day I find a bottle of champagne wrapped up on my desk. It was from him wishing me congratulations." All my coworkers and friends kept telling me it was so nice of him. All my friends and family thought it was nice.
I thought it was strange and inappropriate.

I told my good friend about it and she agreed that it was very very weird for him to give me a bottle of champagne. My friend said that he seemed like the type of person who would come into work today and shoot everyone.
She said that one day he would talk to her and the next day he would ignore her. She said that she would hear him screaming at customers on the phone anbd banging his desk and kicking his desk in frustration. She then told me he claimed that our company was following him around when he went out for walks and turning the street lights on as he walked by?????
So moral of the story is "I guess it was right. Don't ignore your intuition"
Oh and I never did drink that champagne. He might have poisoned it
Thanks for letting me share my crazy true story.
I don't see how you were proven right in this story. Maybe your friend had a thing for the guy, so she made stuff up about him to put you off him. Seems weird to me to dismiss a nice gesture based on rumors and innuendo, especially things that would get a person fired. Also, I've been given alcohol as a gift before, numerous times. It's not that unusual.

Old 10-17-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
I don't see how you were proven right in this story. Maybe your friend had a thing for the guy, so she made stuff up about him to put you off him. Seems weird to me to dismiss a nice gesture based on rumors and innuendo, especially things that would get a person fired. Also, I've been given alcohol as a gift before, numerous times. It's not that unusual.

Oh man. I typed a response and my internet went down
I didn't report him. I thanked him for the champagne.
I posted the thread in a hurry and I forgot to mention some things sorry. I witnessed his strange behaviours later on so I know they weren't rumours. Also, I was away from work for awhile and I found out he got fired because he lost all control and started cursing and cussing out his manager and screaming and yelling. That's when he mentioned all the things about the company spying on him and putting bugs on him (the electronic kind).
My friend did not have a thing for him and she wasn't jealous. She is my best friend at work and I trust her completely.
I don't think alcohol is a strange gift depending on the circumstances. I only said hi to him once or twice and he immediatley started calling me buddy. He would ask me if I got the promotion everytime I saw him and then he left me a bottle of champagne. I think a relatively expensive bottle of champagne was a bit much. It's not like I became CEO.

Old 10-17-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Maybe he thinks there is something to gain from your promotion?
No there would have been nothing for him to gain personally or professionally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships