Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 07:12 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
Talk to your landlord about this situation.
Although this option has come up in a few posts it would end all possibilities of reconciliation at a future date and be a significant escalation in the situation, i'd forever be viewed as the squealing rat neighbor.
The main reason for the post was to get a consensus as to whether i was right or wrong in going next door to ask them when would their construction be over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 03:29 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,223,021 times
Jambo, my heart goes out to you. I'm another person who would sooner live in a yurt in the forest than share a wall with somebody.

My suggestions are:

1. Renata Tebaldi singing "La Traviata" at maximum volume after midnight and then looking innocent and claiming harassment and retaliation when they call the cops.

2. Research moving to someplace else where you and your family can have some quality of life, as people like that don't change.

Good luck to you in an unfortunate situation. The older I get (I'm also 63), the less I want to be around ANY of my fellow humans! No wonder old people look so grouchy all the time.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:14 PM

85 posts, read 105,016 times
So many people are disrespectful of others when living in shared units, it's amazing. It's one reason why I hesitate to buy a condo. If my neighbors are home-repair fiends or party animals, I'll be stuck with them - and with my mortgage! I think it was totally appropriate for you to ask about the renovation timeframe - and their responses were immature and aggressive.

If you want to get a mediated resolution, you should also get a copy of the city noise code to see what is and isn't allowed, and have someone well-versed in it help you evaluate if the noise constitutes an official disturbance. The hours sound kosher but the noise levels may not be. Also, get a copy of your lease. These renovations may not be within bounds of the lease. You said you didn't want to go to your landlord. I didn't, either. But it came to that. I'll explain...

Over the summer, some young students moved in downstairs. These guys blast the stereo at a volume that causes my floors to shake - often within acceptable hours, sometimes, not. I have told them it's inappropriate several times and they have blasted the stereo louder, longer, and later into the night. (I'm not sure they're being hostile so much as trashed beyond comprehension.) I got my landlord involved today; he says he will talk to them. I'll try that route a few more times and if the noise persists, I'll get the police involved. Folks on my local forum here said that if cops make repeated visits to a rental, the landlord gets a citation, which usually triggers the landlord to start the eviction process. My landlord doesn't tolerate BS so it's likely they will obey him, move out, or get evicted well before the cops get involved.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:30 PM

924 posts, read 2,230,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
The main reason for the post was to get a consensus as to whether i was right or wrong in going next door to ask them when would their construction be over.
I think the overwhelming consensus is that yes you were right to go over. It's better than to go complain to the LL right away. That being said, since it's readily apparent you decline to take further action, I think this thread should be closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships