Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 11:03 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times

Advertisements

Seems my neighbors are building a room in their basement and as we share a common wall the hammering , banging and sawing everyday for 3 weeks is getting annoying. So as i thought we've got along over the 10 years we've lived side by side i thought i'd go over and ask them how much longer the project is going to take..Big mistake
Wife comes to the door and is immediately aggressive telling me its going to take as long as its going to take and thats going to be a long time growl,hubby comes to the door also aggressive telling me if i dont like the noise to call the police growl i respond with =
Dude i was just wondering when the project was going to be done?.
None of your effing business was the terse response, meanwhile the wife is in the background yelling curse words in my direction.
So much for friendly neighbors ..
Should i have just said nothing and put up with the constant daily noise from 10am to 7pm everyday?.. I realize doing a project like this is going to be noisy but my family is getting stressed and irritated, i thought knowing when the project would be completed might relieve some of the stress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 11:10 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,383,949 times
- Document incidents
- Call the police should it continue, but anonymously
- Move home if needs be

Old 10-22-2010, 11:14 AM

751 posts, read 1,673,889 times
Years ago when I lived in an apartment house I approached a neighbor about turning his stereo down.He told me to turn mine up then I wouldn't hear his.

Regarding your neighbors.Just don't sweat it.Maybe they were having a bad day and you just happened to be on the recieving end of it all.Or you interrupted their argument.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:17 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,624 times
Oh man, this is why I refuse to buy a place that is attached to another. You certainly have my sympathy.

Are you attached to anyone else? Maybe you could blast some music during that time. Make sure to pick something you know they will hate.

I don't know if the police can do much since they don't appear to be making the noise during quiet times.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:21 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Its in a neighborhood of row houses,8 units to the block,
i'll have to talk to the neighbor on his other side to see if the noise is bothering him..
Had the guy been friendly and said something like = Sorry for the noise but its going to be another week or so i would have responded by saying Need any help? but instead it now looks like we've spoken our last words to each other.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Oh man, this is why I refuse to buy a place that is attached to another. You certainly have my sympathy.

Are you attached to anyone else? Maybe you could blast some music during that time. Make sure to pick something you know they will hate.

I don't know if the police can do much since they don't appear to be making the noise during quiet times.

My apartment living ended years ago.Wouldn't had made any sense back then to turn my music up and distrub the other good neighbors who resided in the same apt house because of one disrepectful person.I now live on my b/f mothers property and her neighbors are quiet.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:00 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie Tebo View Post
My apartment living ended years ago.Wouldn't had made any sense back then to turn my music up and distrub the other good neighbors who resided in the same apt house because of one disrepectful person.I now live on my b/f mothers property and her neighbors are quiet.
Yeah I know it's not practical. That's why I posted in jest.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Yeah I know it's not practical. That's why I posted in jest.
I figured that out.

Society has really gotten bad.You may innocently ask someone a simple question as you did and get put through the mill.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:34 PM

1,659 posts, read 2,776,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Seems my neighbors are building a room in their basement and as we share a common wall the hammering , banging and sawing everyday for 3 weeks is getting annoying. So as i thought we've got along over the 10 years we've lived side by side i thought i'd go over and ask them how much longer the project is going to take..Big mistake
Wife comes to the door and is immediately aggressive telling me its going to take as long as its going to take and thats going to be a long time growl,hubby comes to the door also aggressive telling me if i dont like the noise to call the police growl i respond with =
Dude i was just wondering when the project was going to be done?.
None of your effing business was the terse response, meanwhile the wife is in the background yelling curse words in my direction.
So much for friendly neighbors ..
Should i have just said nothing and put up with the constant daily noise from 10am to 7pm everyday?.. I realize doing a project like this is going to be noisy but my family is getting stressed and irritated, i thought knowing when the project would be completed might relieve some of the stress.

You were reasonable and they were jackwagons. I'm not shy about talking to neighbors and have gotten a wide variety of responses. You are not alone in meeting asshatted loons when you try to handle things in an adult manner with your neighbors. Unfortunately you can't call the cops but if you are in a co-op or condo you can ask for guidance from the board that mediates these things.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:10 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,186,791 times
Building permits. See if they have them by calling the building inspector. The buidling permits also have time restrictions on them for the specific project. There are noise building ordinances, but from 7 a.m to 10 p.m. sounds like it may fall into the allotted time - double check it though with the building inspector for the times. Forget the police it's the building inspector that will know and be your friend. But a word of warning - you went to them directly like that - means you better not have one iota of noise coming from your home ever. Always go through the right authorities first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships