Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 03:39 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,079,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Do you have one of these? I do.

We moved here about two years ago and quickly realized that a little boy the same age as our son lived a few doors down. We introduced ourselves, and the boys played together once or twice. The mom, Dawn, was gushy and a little saccharine but nice enough. I liked that my son had a friend his age and that they would go to school together. Dawn said things like, "We just got a firepit and can't wait to have you over for a barbecue!" and "We'll have to get together soon for dinner." Okay. Nothing ever materialized. We invited them over a couple times--they were busy. Their son was too busy for invitations too. So we figured we had done something or we weren't their type (churchy). Also fine. They weren't really our type either, although we were always polite and nice to them. Over the summer, before it felt like they were shunning us, Dawn got really sick with the flu. I left a big, beautiful bouquet of peonies in a vase on her porch with a note. No response. We brought them a tray of cookies over Christmas (had to, because we brought some to our other neighbors, who are nice to us and somehow manage to have playdates and barbecues and dinners together with Dawn and family). No response about the cookies, either, not even a thank you. Most of this happened the first summer we were there. This past summer, she stopped by with her mother to say how much they missed us, and how much her son wanted to play with ours, and she would call me next week to set something up. Okay! No call. My call went unanswered. This woman just confuses the heck out of me. When we see them, they are pleasant enough but it's just so fake!

So we figured we wouldn't have anything to do with them. No big deal. But at the beginning of the school year, my husband wanted to get our son involved in cub scouts. Guess who appointed herself den leader? Of course. Whatever. We were at the den meeting a few days ago, and she complained that she had volunteered to help with the Halloween party at school today and realized she didn't have anyone to watch her younger son, who is three. I said I'd be home today and could watch him. She said, "Are you sure? Oh thank you so much! You're a lifesaver!" That was Monday. Last night my husband asked if Dawn had called or anything. She hadn't, and I had forgotten. So I called her this morning. "Oh, nevermind! Bonnie's going to watch him instead!" Welllll .... thanks for letting me know, Dawn.

I can't figure out if she is crazy or just thoughtless. Maybe I'm the crazy one for trying to figure out what's wrong with her and trying to be a friendly neighbor. I don't want to be a B to her (well, yes I do), because we like our other neighbors and we have to live with all these people for many years. I just don't know if there's any point to asking her if we've done something to tick her off, or why she is such a flake. I would much rather that she just leave us alone instead of doing this two-faced routine.

Do you have a terrible neighbor?

I did before, I used to live in a neighborhood where most everyone spoke spanish, and the women wouldnt talk to me because I didnt speak spanish.
Most of my neighbors had been living on that block for over 10 years, I just moved in 2 years ago there.
The lil old lady who lived right next door to me went to go live with her son, and soon some lady moved in, she was only had been living there for 3 months when my house burned down in the middle of the night in the winter time, we barely make it out, and do you know none of my neighbors asked me for any help, the ones who lived on that block for over 10 years, the only one who offered help was the lady who just moved in 3 months ago. One neighbor actually shut the door when I asked him if he could call the police because my purse was in the house with my cell phone and I couldnt call them, I thought that was rude, I thought those were the rudest neighbors I ever came across.
I no longer live on that block of course..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 05:58 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,575,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgirl27 View Post
I did before, I used to live in a neighborhood where most everyone spoke spanish, and the women wouldnt talk to me because I didnt speak spanish.
Most of my neighbors had been living on that block for over 10 years, I just moved in 2 years ago there.
The lil old lady who lived right next door to me went to go live with her son, and soon some lady moved in, she was only had been living there for 3 months when my house burned down in the middle of the night in the winter time, we barely make it out, and do you know none of my neighbors asked me for any help, the ones who lived on that block for over 10 years, the only one who offered help was the lady who just moved in 3 months ago. One neighbor actually shut the door when I asked him if he could call the police because my purse was in the house with my cell phone and I couldnt call them, I thought that was rude, I thought those were the rudest neighbors I ever came across.
I no longer live on that block of course..
That's terrible!! Your house was on fire and they wouldn't even call 911 for you??

Old 03-11-2011, 06:38 AM

2,788 posts, read 5,079,556 times
Quote:
That's terrible!! Your house was on fire and they wouldn't even call 911 for you??

NO! can you believe it, someone else did...thankfully the houses next time weren't damaged. My girls were 2 and 4 at the time we all made it out, including my oldest son and his friend with no shoes, coats, ...you think one of my neighbors would of said here is a blanket...nope only the one was the neighbor next door to me..and she just happened to be coming home at the time..she let me and the kids go into her house until my ex came and picked us up..

Old 03-11-2011, 07:27 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,502,173 times
I can see how she could be annoying. She's just plain rude.

"I missed you too! Like when you came over to thank me for the flowers, and at the BBQ at your house." She'll never darken your doorstep again.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:07 AM

697 posts, read 1,278,316 times
you don't know me Julia but just for your info, oldmen likes cookies too

BOT: my closest neighbor is close to a mile away from me so I don't have any problems with them unless you think warm pecan pies delivered to the house is a problem-- I know -don't I have the worst luck

Old 03-11-2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgirl27 View Post
NO! can you believe it, someone else did...thankfully the houses next time weren't damaged. My girls were 2 and 4 at the time we all made it out, including my oldest son and his friend with no shoes, coats, ...you think one of my neighbors would of said here is a blanket...nope only the one was the neighbor next door to me..and she just happened to be coming home at the time..she let me and the kids go into her house until my ex came and picked us up..
I'm glad you're OK. That was pretty rotten of your other neighbor. As much as I dislike the woman I mentioned, if she came to me for help I would definitely help her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I can see how she could be annoying. She's just plain rude.

"I missed you too! Like when you came over to thank me for the flowers, and at the BBQ at your house." She'll never darken your doorstep again.
I try not to carry grudges, honestly, but yeah. I'm no saint. I have to see her, though. She's my son's Cub Scout leader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the old man View Post
you don't know me Julia but just for your info, oldmen likes cookies too

BOT: my closest neighbor is close to a mile away from me so I don't have any problems with them unless you think warm pecan pies delivered to the house is a problem-- I know -don't I have the worst luck
The nicest couple lives two doors up from us, an older husband and wife. They always bring us cookies at Christmas and fruit from their daughter's farm stand. Great big beautiful peaches in the summer. I always bake them something out of what they bring me, too, like a pear tart or apple pie. It's win/win.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:24 AM

50,081 posts, read 46,663,334 times
We had a tweeker neighbor, we ended up moving.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:38 AM

Ugh, tweakers. Was your neighbor up all night? It's 2 a.m. ... LET'S BUILD SOMETHING.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:46 AM

645 posts, read 986,127 times
Quote:
Do you have one of these? I do.

We moved here about two years ago and quickly realized that a little boy the same age as our son lived a few doors down. We introduced ourselves, and the boys played together once or twice. The mom, Dawn, was gushy and a little saccharine but nice enough. I liked that my son had a friend his age and that they would go to school together. Dawn said things like, "We just got a firepit and can't wait to have you over for a barbecue!" and "We'll have to get together soon for dinner." Okay. Nothing ever materialized. We invited them over a couple times--they were busy. Their son was too busy for invitations too. So we figured we had done something or we weren't their type (churchy). Also fine. They weren't really our type either, although we were always polite and nice to them. Over the summer, before it felt like they were shunning us, Dawn got really sick with the flu. I left a big, beautiful bouquet of peonies in a vase on her porch with a note. No response. We brought them a tray of cookies over Christmas (had to, because we brought some to our other neighbors, who are nice to us and somehow manage to have playdates and barbecues and dinners together with Dawn and family). No response about the cookies, either, not even a thank you. Most of this happened the first summer we were there. This past summer, she stopped by with her mother to say how much they missed us, and how much her son wanted to play with ours, and she would call me next week to set something up. Okay! No call. My call went unanswered. This woman just confuses the heck out of me. When we see them, they are pleasant enough but it's just so fake!

So we figured we wouldn't have anything to do with them. No big deal. But at the beginning of the school year, my husband wanted to get our son involved in cub scouts. Guess who appointed herself den leader? Of course. Whatever. We were at the den meeting a few days ago, and she complained that she had volunteered to help with the Halloween party at school today and realized she didn't have anyone to watch her younger son, who is three. I said I'd be home today and could watch him. She said, "Are you sure? Oh thank you so much! You're a lifesaver!" That was Monday. Last night my husband asked if Dawn had called or anything. She hadn't, and I had forgotten. So I called her this morning. "Oh, nevermind! Bonnie's going to watch him instead!" Welllll .... thanks for letting me know, Dawn.

I can't figure out if she is crazy or just thoughtless. Maybe I'm the crazy one for trying to figure out what's wrong with her and trying to be a friendly neighbor. I don't want to be a B to her (well, yes I do), because we like our other neighbors and we have to live with all these people for many years. I just don't know if there's any point to asking her if we've done something to tick her off, or why she is such a flake. I would much rather that she just leave us alone instead of doing this two-faced routine.

Do you have a terrible neighbor?

WTF?!??? Sorry, but I'd yank my boy outta that scout troop ASAP before good ol' "Dawn" turns him into a politician!

We always hope of having neighbors like you - but seems to get more like "Dawn." I know I'm generalizing and all, but why are the "church-y" types always the flakey ones? It's like - I know you're trying to "love thy neighbor" - but know what? Y'all suck at it!!

I know you are not the type to sink to her level, but perhaps a bit of the same medicine would help her see the "error" of her ways...nah - second thought, forget it. These types are too clueless to ever get it. Better just to grab a couple slingshots and then you and your son can start flinging stale baked goods at her house! . You can walk by the next day and say - "hey, y'all catch a glimpse of that UFO the other day? Spooooky!"

Old 03-11-2011, 09:57 AM

50,081 posts, read 46,663,334 times
Quote:
Ugh, tweakers. Was your neighbor up all night? It's 2 a.m. ... LET'S BUILD SOMETHING.
Dude never slept! He was a nice guy but his friends were all gangsta and did cr*p like park on the ice plant and smoke right outside our windows, party till 6 am, etc.

Losers

One day a few years ago he was on the people's court with an ex. He got smoked by the judge. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships