Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 04:06 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,584,850 times

Advertisements

I am wondering if it has turned you into someone who is much more emotional than you were before their passing. Guess it doesn't have to be a sibling, just someone prematurely.

Lost a sister almost 12 years ago, she was 39, and wondering if it's me or it has happened to others. I tear up really easily, whether it be at something sad or happy. Guessing it is from her passing. There is a tv show that I watch on Wednesdays, and 75% of the time it will bring a tear to my eye. Most guys don't cry at a tv show. Weddings will also do it.

I'm not ashamed of it at all, not saying that. Kind of glad that the emotion shows.

Just curious.

Last edited by dfour; 11-15-2010 at 04:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 05:32 PM

1,047 posts, read 3,990,370 times
I lost my Mom when I was 11, she was 42.
43 years later, I still get sad sometimes and think about how much better my life would have/could have been. I do get emotional about things easily, and often times any type of sadness will morph into thinking about my Mom.
I also think I over compensate sometimes with my own kids, doing things for them because I didn't have that luxury when I was their age.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:42 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,255,736 times
About 5 years ago, our friends and their 2 children were murdered in their home and I have definitely changed...my emotions are heightened... fears I never had have surfaced... I am much more overprotective of my children than I was... and I get very melancholy when the holidays come around... when my children hit milestones and I know their children will never be able to...the list is endless, but, to answer your question, yes, I am definitely more emotional.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Ri..._spree_murders

Last edited by mrstewart; 11-15-2010 at 05:51 PM..

Old 11-15-2010, 05:51 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,595,667 times
My youngest brother died in a car accident at 15. I was 22 at the time. For me the hardest time was right after. It's so hard to believe they are really gone. So many times I would catch myself thinking he was still here...

Time tends to make it more believable but you always miss them. You miss the experiences you could have been sharing with them. You miss them on their birthday, Christmas, holidays, and the day they died.

I think the best way to deal with the loss of a loved one is to cherish the time you had with them, and the fact you were able to love them even if it was for a short time.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
About 5 years ago, our friends and their 2 children were murdered in their home and I have definitely changed...my emotions are heightened... fears I never had have surfaced... I am much more overprotective of my children than I was... and I get very melancholy when the holidays come around... when my children hit milestones and I know their children will never be able to...the list is endless, but, to answer your question, yes, I am definitely more emotional.

2006 Richmond spree murders - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wow, so sad.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:01 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,255,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
Wow, so sad.
Yes, it was is very sad and it is probably safe for me to say it changed anyone who came in contact with them.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:10 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,860,950 times
I lost one of my children as an infant and it forever changed me. It's been 20 years and it still hurts.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Yes, it was is very sad and it is probably safe for me to say it changed anyone who came in contact with them.
I bet. I know that every Christmas when I return home and have to drive the icy streets, I'm different. I can't imagine dealing with murder. You not only have to deal with loss but anger that it was a choice that took your friends rather than an accident.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misplaced1 View Post
I lost one of my children as an infant and it forever changed me. It's been 20 years and it still hurts.
There's nothing like losing a child. One year ago I almost lost my son and the feelings I experienced were so intense and painful.
((((hugs))))

Old 11-15-2010, 06:55 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,122,326 times
My parents were shot execution style by someone who ran up on them with a shotgun, fired 2 shots in the head and chest of my mom and dad; they laid dead in the street like wounded dogs. They were well respected in my old neighborhood for being a father and mother figure to some of the at-risk youth. Today would've been their 55th anniversary so I went down to the graveyard for an hour and saluted them. It hurts a little but the consolation prize for me was knowing that the killer met the same fate a day later. He was already marked for death anyway in my 'hood. This all happened when I was no older than 7.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships