Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 08:48 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,383,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB4 View Post
Simple solution do not tell the women you are interested in about you not having any regular friends. Since it does not bother you knowing, it should not bother them not knowing. Need to know! If someone does not need to know something, do not tell them.

Now that is out of the way you might work on why you feel bad about not having any friends. Start talking to people and (most important) listening to them and you will have friends.
He just needs a toy, or a pet. Nobody needs friends, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 09:04 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,742,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaackko View Post
I'm a he. In a vacuum (so to speak) it wouldn't bother me. The fact that people might think little of me (especially women) bothers me way more than the loner-ness itself. I've always been like this. I had acquaintances at school, but never made real friends. I used to be pretty good friends with my brother and my cousin (they were best friends for years), but when they had a big falling out with each other there was no more need for a third wheel (me).
I get what you are saying about feeling weird about women finding out you have no friends. Having few friends is more normal for guys, but I think you should at least find some hobby type friends. You may have a hard time finding a beer and football buddy, but you could join some clubs for your areas of interest. So if you are into cars then get together with people like that and your conversation and activities will revolve around cars. If you are into martial arts, then take martial arts classes. If you want to learn something new, take classes in that and join their organizations, go to their events. Then you may not have a generic buddy to hang with, but you will have some social extra curricular type stuff going on.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:22 PM

130 posts, read 336,102 times
I honestly would not care if someone didn't have any friends. Depending on an individual's personality, it may be hard for them to "click" with people. That just makes them more unique to me. As an introvert, I do not automatically click with people off the bat. I have a handful of friends who just "get me" and that's fine. I am actually attracted to guys with smaller social networks like mine and who tend to be a bit more on the introverted side.

I think the right person for you will not care about your lack of friends. They will embrace that you are a loner. If they do care then they are simply not the one for you.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:45 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,647,885 times
I would probably feel just a bit sorry for said person

That is because that person is missing out on something interesting. Other than a SO or family member, having a close friend is quite emotionally fulfilling as well.

I was reading an article way back and it said that only 25% of Americans have 1 person, other than a spouse, SO, or family member, that they could really talk to. The percentage becomes less when you go up.

So it's not terribly uncommon to be a loner. Americans tend to have "friends" (aka acquaintances), if anything. Our society deems that more is better. Facebook is a great example. How many of the "friends" do you really talk to on that site?

It's not a competition. Other countries tend to value friendship a lot more than us, sadly. Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

Old 11-21-2010, 10:13 PM

355 posts, read 615,709 times
What do you mean "no friends"? What, do you celebrate your birthday alone? I don't know. If i was ever to meet someone who has no friends i'd be at least interested how this happened. Here in Russia you're basically forced into certain social circles (like in school, you study with the same 30 people for ten years, so it's kinda hard NOT to become friends with them).

Old 11-21-2010, 11:42 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,621,557 times
I'm an INFP / Pisces / hermit / recluse / lay monk.

I have no problems being by myself. I have a dozen or so "acquaintances", I have my on-line "friends" here and I have one real-world "friend". Of course, I have the predilection and the training to be comfortable by myself, so it doesn't bother me.

It seems to bother a lot of OTHER people, though...

Old 11-22-2010, 12:05 AM

1,206 posts, read 2,927,553 times
Its more so how you feel about yourself. Self-esteem. Since you feel bad if a woman looks down on you for having no friends, you must feel like you need to have friends to feel good about yourself. I'd suggest getting the book "how to win friends and influence people" by dale carnegie

Old 11-22-2010, 01:30 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,352,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
It would be irrelevant. Most people are overrated, I get bored of them after several minutes, unless you're a friend, an hour. I have three friends, I rarely talk to them, they live in other parts of the nation. Whatever.
hahahahahaha
i am frightened by how much i agree with this. secretly i feel the same. girls want to talk about clothes and babies and most of my men friends wind up hitting on me at some point. conversation with someone who actually is GOOD at it and wants to talk about HEAVY stuff is so rare that it makes me weep for the human race.

Old 11-22-2010, 01:54 AM

346 posts, read 968,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkumat View Post
What do you mean "no friends"? What, do you celebrate your birthday alone?
Dinner with my parents.

In fact, this past year was the first time in probably 15 years that anyone outside of my nuclear family has done anything for me on my birthday (girlfriend bought me balloons, a cake, and we made out vigorously )

Old 11-22-2010, 01:56 AM

389 posts, read 776,965 times
I know this sounds bad, but whenever I see a person sitting by themselve all the time with absolutely no one to talk to, or I meet someone with no friends in the world, I feel bad for them. I can't help it. When I was young I had very little friends. Now I have tons, and I look at people who have none like "Poor sap." But most of the time people with no friends don't give a damn, and they actually like being alone. That's great.

Jessie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships