Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 02:05 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,863,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Thanksgiving was one of the most dreaded holiday for me until about 10 years ago. My MIL would host Thanksgiving every year and I hated it. My MIL and SIL's were always really cold towards me or if I would chime in on a conversation, I would get looks that I was stupid or they would make a comment with a tone that they thought whatever I said was stupid. Meanwhile hubby would disappear to another room to watch football.

What also irked me was hubby worked swing shift at that time. Every year he was on a different shift. What irked me about it was that my MIL would change up the times every year actually making it more difficult for us to attend. If she knew he was working dayshift and got off at 3. She would insist dinner was at 1 or 2. When he worked afternoons and 1 or 2 was perfect, she would make dinner at 4. Everyone else in the family did not work Thanksgiving so adjusting the time for her one child that worked the holiday was not a issue. She made it an issue for whatever reason. Finally she would relent the day before and agree to change the time.

After 3 years of this I suggested to my husband (again) that I would make a small turkey just for us before he went to work. We could eat at 11 and that way he could rest, watch some tv. I think he was tired of his mother finally and said yes. It was such a nice holiday for us that we never went back to my MIL's again. What is funny is my MIL blew a gasket! She was so peeved we decided to eat at home. I will never understand that woman I swear.
She loved to play the sacrifical lamb i'm sure, making a BIG deal about changing the time and probaly allowing every one else to know how much SHE had to do to alter it for you. Without you there she can't do that every year lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 06:45 PM

1,863 posts, read 4,299,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieCountrycm View Post
Hell no. Thank God I got work and use that as an excuse lol
That has been my excuse to get out of an dinners I did not want to attend for the past few years- and I will continue to use it in the future. Instead of spending it with my own family, I spent it with my ex in-laws because they just ordered in good food then we ate, and hit the club afterward.

Now that the divorce is final, I won't be able to spend it with them anymore. Oh well- maybe I will be lucky next time around!

Old 11-28-2010, 05:57 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,312,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post

My family when we get together, there is eating, there is laughter, there is singing, some REALLY HYSTERICAL 'shtick' there is SO MUCH NOISE and laughter you can't hear yourself think, and God I can't wait till the next one.

Jonathan

Your family sounds like mine. I had so much fun with them this year...lots of laughter....great food....just a huge house party.

Old 11-28-2010, 07:35 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I think family is precious and we do not have any conflicts when we all get together, but in fairness, we are all spread around the country and only get to see each other in small doses. Fortunately, our drunken family members are nice quiet drunks.
IF I came from a family where there was strife or fighting, I would not participate and I would tell them why. If you expose your children to this type of behavior, then they will think it's acceptible, and the cycle will continue.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:37 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,860,472 times
I managed to dodge the bullet this Thanksgiving but am now being raked through the coals. I made the mistake of moving back to my hometown and my father and his wife tried to force me to go to his half-sister's house for Thanksgiving. I have managed to avoid visiting that part of his family for 20 years. I don't want to be around them because one cousin did something to me when I was 4 that these days would land them in jail and the other one used to physically attack me as well and last time I saw her she said something out loud to everyone in family that "I see she still has big boobs".

I spent Thanksgiving working out at gym and then I decided sorta last minute to go fishing since it was unusually warm 74 degs outside. I made the mistake of mentioning my fun adventure of fishing and now dad's wife is sending me emails admonishing me for fishing without him now that he is "retired & has nothing else to do". First off he wasn't in town when I went and second I really don't see just because I am single that I have some kind of obligation to take him fishing everytime I go. After all she is his young wife and should be the one entertaining him. But now I end up getting harassed for having my own life.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:06 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,025,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post

My family when we get together, there is eating, there is laughter, there is singing, some REALLY HYSTERICAL 'shtick' there is SO MUCH NOISE and laughter you can't hear yourself think, and God I can't wait till the next one.
Not my type of family but to each his or her own.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:35 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
Not my type of family but to each his or her own.
lol, you dug up a 2 yr old thread to say this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships