Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 01:53 PM

110 posts, read 587,920 times

Advertisements

If you go to a new city, you don't know anyone, where do you make friends?
I'm in my mid-twenties.
I'm going to live in a new city soon, and would like some input.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 02:02 PM

11,379 posts, read 24,385,676 times
Coffee shops, bicycle shops, local bars, and book stores are places where you can meet people. If there is an inner city farmer's market in your new town it could also be a good place to stand around and talk to perfect strangers.

You will also meet new people at work or at school. I imagine joining a gym might also lead to new friendships. And then there are social clubs, professional organizations, community groups, etc.

The best way that I've found, however, is to ask everyone you know now, if they know anyone in the town you're moving to. That will give you a head start to meeting people.

Just be patient and don't give up. Sometimes it takes awhile.

Old 06-30-2007, 02:15 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,889,547 times
I personally have met most of my close friends through work. I've been working in Customer Service on and off for about 20 years and there's usually a training class so i end up hanging out with a couple people and becoming friends. Or just talking to people that sit around your desk and see who you click with.

The other way for me was being introduced by other friends. You might meet someone and then just happen to click better with one of their friends and go out for coffee or whatever.

Old 06-30-2007, 02:17 PM

1,942 posts, read 8,481,358 times
Well, I have been in Naples since Nov.2004. The only people I know are the ones I work with, and only on my team (first grade). We're friends-aquaintance friends, but don't hang out really. Don't call on the phone to chit-chat. People on the team have different lives-either younger and into clubbing, or much older and not really into "hanging out"...or have their own families and kids........

I think I only have 1 real friend down here-yep, from my team, but we don't see each other that much becuase she has a very hectic family life.

At my husband's work, he is one of the youngest. And, we did go to a party one time, to find out it was a "swingers" party-leave your keys everyone! so needless to say, we don't hang out there anymore.

I would love to make friends with someone that would like to come over and play games and drink a few beers at night, or get together during the day and BBQ, but it doesn't work out like that.

We don't go to church, don't go to a gym....I sometimes think that's why I come on here so much....for friends

Old 06-30-2007, 02:22 PM

434 posts, read 1,734,801 times
I have the same problem in Atlanta. My husband and I are mid-thirties so most of the women my age have kids and their social lives revolve around them. I'm not into bar hopping like most younger single people do so... It's tough when you move a lot!

Old 06-30-2007, 02:27 PM

36,380 posts, read 15,981,220 times
I'm in my fifties and feel the same way, The girls I work with are much younger and I'm kinda their boss, so that won't work!! I know a couple of people at the coffe shop but not to call and chat with. I'm single and my closest friend at work is 35 with 3 kids, I did hang out a little last summer and may again this summer, but that's it!! It's hard!

Old 06-30-2007, 02:56 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,889,547 times
We are north of atlanta, but with a new baby. We go out to eat regularly but this is getting difficult with the little one becoming increasingly demanding. I much prefer to do things during the day and since I am not working currently and have only been in the area for about 4 months, there hasn't been much chance to meet people at all. I think I'm going to try the Gymboree around here for the little one, who knows, maybe I will meet someone there.

Problem is we keep moving, and as soon as I meet people, we leave. And it's happened so many times, the person has to be pretty special for me to keep in touch. I think I'm going to start the little on at gymboree though so should meet some people.

Last edited by floridadreamer; 06-30-2007 at 03:15 PM..

Old 06-30-2007, 04:01 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,755,810 times
It probably depends on the person but I have friends that range in age from 26 to in their 60's. I've made my friends through other friends, work, customers I've had, a few from the internet, going out, mutual interests/bands and classes I've taken.

It's a lot easier if you're outgoing and take the initiative and talk to people. I talk to people everywhere I go, so I make friends easily.

When you move, maybe join some organizations, hobbies, take a class, have a little get together and invite the neighbors.

Another good way is to get a job in a restuarant, even if it's part time. I met so many friends in my 20's while working in restaurants and going to school.

Old 06-30-2007, 08:57 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,507,451 times
Well, how about looking right on here for the city you're moving to, see if anyone from there is a member here, maybe strike up a conversation and see what happens. If nothing else, you could ask where the 'cool' places to go are! Might give you a head start on things.

Old 06-30-2007, 09:07 PM

1,712 posts, read 4,228,092 times
Talk to people. Don't expect to make lifelong friends right away, but you might be pleasantly surprised at who you meet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships