Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 11:04 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,630,849 times

Advertisements

I have no issue with Facebook, it's just the people who use it all the time for the most minuscule of things, and people who let Facebook dramatize their life. I seriously know people who have had E-Beefs with friends because their friends never give a shout out to them or post status messages, post comments on their walls, etc. I just feel that Facebook make people feel that they are so self-important, that everything they say or do has to mean something to everyone, which is what REALLY urks me. I see people spend more time on their Facebooks sometimes than anything else.

I know someone who is sort of like you. She's a really cool chick but everything she does she has to post on Facebook and it gets to the point where most of the time, she's on her phone busy updating statuses and posting on walls so much that she gets caught up in that while everyone else is hanging out. Then the only time she gets involved is if she wants to take a picture so she can post it on her Facebook and get back to comments and statuses again and "prove" that she's doing what she's saying she is to her Facebook buddies. She's 31. It's just sometimes really inconsiderate to me when people do things like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 11:04 PM

8,358 posts, read 25,211,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TumbleBug View Post
I put this in the relationship section because facebook is fundamentally about relationships.

I really love facebook, I have an iphone so I'm able to check my profile and wall 24/7 anywhere I am (I even updated my facebook page from the top of Ayers Rock one time)

I prefer my facebook friends to update their status at least once a day and to comment of my posts where appropriate. When I add new people I always hope they are active users.

But I sometimes feel guilty - so many people think social networking is stupid, pathetic etc etc (I've read lots of posts from people who hate FB on this very forum)

So I feel guilty for enjoying it - I live my life on facebook. I'm not 100% honest and I don't publish stuff that I consider too private but I do for example take photos when I'm out and about just for my FB friends benefit.

Does anyone one else feel like a loser for loving facebook?
I hate Facebook. People update their status with the most mundane sh*t. Why anyone feels the need to announce that they are going to work or bed is beyond me, let alone all of the cryptic postings that beg for someone to request clarification.

I was on Friendster way back in the day. I was living in Minneapolis at the time and a good amount of my friends from California were on it, so I singed up. It was pretty cool to keep up-to-date with everyone, but Friendster had a habit of censoring things. You couldn't even type words like **** or azz. And somehow, it was able to find and remove "questionable" pictures. Most of which were far from questionable, mind you.

Then MySpace came along and everyone jumped ship because MySpace allowed to type and post anything. When Facebook came out, it was only available to Harvard students. Then to any student in the Ivy League. Then to any student at any college. Then to any student at any school. Then to everyone. Before it was open to high school students, it was definitely a status symbol. Kids would apply to universities and use their temporary university email addresses to register on Facebook. It was the big leagues.

But, many mature MySpace users found Facebook to be stupid. Eventually, we all went to Facebook because we got tired of all the ads on MySpace. What is ironic is that in 2008, Facebook users claimed that they were on the superior platform because Facebook did not have all of the problems that MySpace had. Now, Facebook does. Facebook became MySpace.

I am just waiting for the next social networking site to pop up. There are currently hundreds, maybe thousands of them and one of them will eventually become the "new Facebook".

If I didn't live between 1500 and 3000 miles away from friends, I wouldn't bother with Facebook. It's dumb and MySpace was a way better tool for social networking. Facebook is lame. It is great that there is one place where you can connect to your real life friends from afar, but this whole daily play-by-play stuff is stupid, so is using Facebook for validation.

By the way, you are aware that Facebook owns every thing you post, right? Including pictures.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:05 PM

I guess you can't even type f c u k on here, either

Old 12-23-2010, 11:06 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,402,979 times
another facebook thread? I'm debating deleting it, except that I already know it doesn't go away just cause I click "deactivate". lame.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:09 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,091,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TumbleBug View Post
I put this in the relationship section because facebook is fundamentally about relationships.

I really love facebook, I have an iphone so I'm able to check my profile and wall 24/7 anywhere I am (I even updated my facebook page from the top of Ayers Rock one time)

I prefer my facebook friends to update their status at least once a day and to comment of my posts where appropriate. When I add new people I always hope they are active users.

But I sometimes feel guilty - so many people think social networking is stupid, pathetic etc etc (I've read lots of posts from people who hate FB on this very forum)

So I feel guilty for enjoying it - I live my life on facebook. I'm not 100% honest and I don't publish stuff that I consider too private but I do for example take photos when I'm out and about just for my FB friends benefit.

Does anyone one else feel like a loser for loving facebook?
It took me a long time to really get the gist of it. Now I like it a lot. Where else can you communicate with so many people, so often and so effortlessly? I just wish that FB would leave the interface alone. I am sick of them changing it all the time.

Enjoy yourself. Who cares what anyone thinks.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-23-2010, 11:10 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,630,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I hate Facebook. People update their status with the most mundane sh*t. Why anyone feels the need to announce that they are going to work or bed is beyond me, let alone all of the cryptic postings that beg for someone to request clarification.

I was on Friendster way back in the day. I was living in Minneapolis at the time and a good amount of my friends from California were on it, so I singed up. It was pretty cool to keep up-to-date with everyone, but Friendster had a habit of censoring things. You couldn't even type words like **** or azz. And somehow, it was able to find and remove "questionable" pictures. Most of which were far from questionable, mind you.

Then MySpace came along and everyone jumped ship because MySpace allowed to type and post anything. When Facebook came out, it was only available to Harvard students. Then to any student in the Ivy League. Then to any student at any college. Then to any student at any school. Then to everyone. Before it was open to high school students, it was definitely a status symbol. Kids would apply to universities and use their temporary university email addresses to register on Facebook. It was the big leagues.

But, many mature MySpace users found Facebook to be stupid. Eventually, we all went to Facebook because we got tired of all the ads on MySpace. What is ironic is that in 2008, Facebook users claimed that they were on the superior platform because Facebook did not have all of the problems that MySpace had. Now, Facebook does. Facebook became MySpace.

I am just waiting for the next social networking site to pop up. There are currently hundreds, maybe thousands of them and one of them will eventually become the "new Facebook".

If I didn't live between 1500 and 3000 miles away from friends, I wouldn't bother with Facebook. It's dumb and MySpace was a way better tool for social networking. Facebook is lame. It is great that there is one place where you can connect to your real life friends from afar, but this whole daily play-by-play stuff is stupid, so is using Facebook for validation.

By the way, you are aware that Facebook owns every thing you post, right? Including pictures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XhzYGoBif8

Take it for what it is, but this is why I don't post all my real info on it.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:29 PM

19,666 posts, read 20,169,823 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV-AmaMadSA

Old 12-23-2010, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XhzYGoBif8

Take it for what it is, but this is why I don't post all my real info on it.
A lot of people on MySpace had "fake" profiles. That is, they used pseudonyms as their usernames in the same way that users on CD do. Facebook users in 2008 claimed that this was one of the reasons why Facebook was better; because users used their real names and had real profiles. Now, there are tons of people on Facebook with fake names and profiles. My Facebook username is not real, although it is one that all of my friends recognize. My political affiliation, religious views, and other aspects of my profile are "wrong", too. Well, technically, they are correct. Just in a sarcastic manner.

MySpace makes its money by selling ad space. Lots of ad space. That is why so many people have left; tired of all the ads left and right and in your face. Facebook has ads, but they are small and limited to the right-hand side. But, Facebook makes its money by allowing third party apps and advertisers and others to mine your data. If you use Farmville, or What 80s Rock Legend Are You, etc., you are allowing that app to not only pull your information, but access to all of your friends information, too.

I don't post anything legally incriminating, nor do my friends, but I like my privacy. I am not paranoid, and if Facebook or who-ever really wants to figure out who I am there is always my IP address.

Anybody who has the ability to keep tabs and collect information is going to do so. It is nothing new, been happening for a really long time. Here is something to keep in mind, though: there is so much information that is being mined, it will make your head spin just trying to think of a way to organize it all.

All that aside, social networks are a great way to stay connected, updated, and even perhaps meet new people. That is if they are actually used for that purpose. Sadly, and as such with CD, too, many people only use Facebook to find some validation to their boring lives.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:55 PM

6,727 posts, read 4,400,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
I have no issue with Facebook, it's just the people who use it all the time for the most minuscule of things, and people who let Facebook dramatize their life. I seriously know people who have had E-Beefs with friends because their friends never give a shout out to them or post status messages, post comments on their walls, etc. I just feel that Facebook make people feel that they are so self-important, that everything they say or do has to mean something to everyone, which is what REALLY urks me. I see people spend more time on their Facebooks sometimes than anything else.

I know someone who is sort of like you. She's a really cool chick but everything she does she has to post on Facebook and it gets to the point where most of the time, she's on her phone busy updating statuses and posting on walls so much that she gets caught up in that while everyone else is hanging out. Then the only time she gets involved is if she wants to take a picture so she can post it on her Facebook and get back to comments and statuses again and "prove" that she's doing what she's saying she is to her Facebook buddies. She's 31. It's just sometimes really inconsiderate to me when people do things like that.
I got onto Facebook about 6 months ago. I found a few people I went to High school with and others that I hadnt seen in 25 years. We contacted and talked a few times. I noticed a few of these would just post nonsense stuff and go on and on about whats for dinner, what they did today, and oh, the cat just jumped up on the keyboard, and a few people would sent a note saying so and so liked that past comment. I know where all of them live, still close by, within 20 miles from each other. Why dont they just pick up the phone and call each other. It all seems like a waste of time to me. I deactivated my account. I dont really see the attraction to use it.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:59 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,811,404 times
OP, if you enjoy Facebook then go enjoy it! Who cares what other people think of what you do with your time (easier said than done I know).

I first got on Facebook a couple or so years ago because my cousins and brother were on there. And I really did like it back then. I got pretty addicted and couldn't stay off until the novelty finally wore off about a year later. I'd be on there for hours looking for people, playing (at the time, Farm Town) and reading profiles. But not many people I knew were on there back then.

I've probably said this in another thread, I dunno, but the idea of Facebook is cool. It just doesn't work out that way. I cancelled my account a little while ago and I think it's better for me. I didn't feel that I was getting much out of it and nobody really said anything to me at all. In fact I don't think half the people out there talk to half their friend lists and the ones they do talk to, they talk to in real life. So what's the point of being on Facebook? So that's why I'm not with it.

But it was really funny my mom knew I was on Facebook and gave me massive hell about it. She'd say things like "you know that's not real right? So why do you waste your time with it?" It took all my energy not to say "well TV's not real either!" LOL! (She was just mad that I was talking to family members she didn't want me to talk to, lol).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships