Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 07:47 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,552,459 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever had a friendship end with someone who was either narcissistic or if not clinically a narcissist then they were an elitist snob?

I ask because i ended a friendship after 4 years with such a person, but his behavior toward me was such that one might wonder why HE didn't end it with me. Haughty, arrogant, cynical, name calling, yelling at my face because of my shortcomings (indecisive about my major, took me a long time to graduate, not outgoing with the girls), you'd think i was a convicted criminal from the way he used to treat me

Do narcissists typically wait until you end it with them because they secretly enjoy feeling superior to you and belittling you? And once they learn you're history in their lives, do they ever think to themselves "gee maybe I'm a snob or a difficult person?".

has anyone ever ended it with someone like this but in reality the snob should have just ended it themselves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 07:53 PM

48,296 posts, read 34,425,363 times
I wouldn't be friends with someone like that in the first place.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:58 PM

Default I was 18

and around the time i hit 20 i noticed the snideness. i didn't know people, i was young and naive. i was nothing like i am now

Old 12-27-2010, 04:26 AM

10,196 posts, read 17,746,094 times
That's not narcissism or even snobbery, that's bullying and emotional abuse. Abusers will never drop friends/partners no matter how worthless they try to claim that you are because then they would have no one to abuse. I was once briefly friends with someone like this but I cut ties with him early on, from the first moment he called me names (told me I was a pathetic loser and laughed in my face) - he did not take it well and would occasionally resurface to try to verbally abuse me some more. It was only two or three times a year for a couple years but had it been more often, I would have contacted the police and reported him for harassment. At the time I met him, I was depressed with low self esteem and my only friends were family members so I think he thought I was an ideal candidate for an abuse victim - like I was so desperate for friends, I'd take anyone... well, he got a surprise when I still had enough self esteem to boot him out of my life the moment he treated me like crap. I will never be that desperate for a friend!

Hopefully you have learned from this to cut ties with someone from the very first sign of behavior like this and you will not have to endure 4 years of it again. Remember, verbal/emotional abuse does not only happen in romantic relationships or parent/child relationships. It can happen with friends, siblings, extended family, employers/co-workers - pretty much ANY one you have any kind of relationship with can be an abuser.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:32 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,596,386 times
I agree with PA2UK. This is not narcissism or snobbery. It's just abusive behavior. People like this can't feel good about themselves unless they're belittling you. I've had friends who've done things that frustrated me. I had one friend who spent years and years bouncing between careers and I always wondered when he'd settle on something. I had another friend who would keep dating guys that treated her like dirt. I didn't just pretend not to notice, but I also didn't berate them for their choices. I simply offered my opinion and if they chose to ignore my advice, then there was nothing more I could do. Sure you can watch from the sidelines as your friend makes a major mistake with their life. But it's their life and shouting at them, insulting them, etc. isn't the way to persuade them.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:30 AM

Default thanks Denny

tho it probably was less common in the early 80's to find people like me who transferred 3 schools, dropped out twice until getting the degree at 25, to day you see that a lot

this experience always made me think that i was clinging too hard to a friendship and looking for approval that i could not get; it also was very irritating to see someone who was NOT making mistakes like i was. to this day i still carry around that experience. i still feel like he is watching, criticizing and evaluating every move I make tho i have not see him since 1984

it taught me a lesson about how i relate to people that's for sure

Old 12-27-2010, 08:36 AM

Default thanks pa2UK

i didn't see your post. in this case it was very hard to see because this guy seemed like a 'salt of the earth' type. he came from a rich family. what i failed to remember was that he used to get picked on a lot from the other students in our program. guys used to ask him if he liked any girls and he was really not very attractive to the ladies tho miraculously always found someone to spend the night and he even got married about a year before our friendship ended (when he was courting and married he was at his worst). i guess he took all that anger and shame and just transferred it all on to me. his wife also had a big weight issue. not that that made her bad but he was so grandiose you'd think he'd never be with a woman who was overweight

so you are saying this guy is probably not a narcissist?!

Old 12-27-2010, 08:46 AM

2,412 posts, read 5,071,659 times
OMG 26% of a century ago?

Have you ever heard the term "somebodies renting space in my head"

I believe a veiwing of Great Expectations is in order, with a focus on Miss Havisham.

You are a 50-51yr old woman now and still tortured by the actions of a 20 something BOY?

You make wonder if that girl who wet her pants in 2nd grade is out there writing threads about it today?

Old 12-27-2010, 08:52 AM

Default i'm a male

i was referring to a male friendship, and i'm not 51, and i continue to have occasional issues with bullies at work, so i think of this person when it happens and what i should have done back then and now

and we are always talking of difficult people on this board so i figured why not chime in

Old 12-27-2010, 09:14 AM

2,412 posts, read 5,071,659 times
As smart and mature and as responsible as you perceive yourself to be now, and at that time, you BOTH WERE JUST KIDS!

What's more scary is you totally blame him, and don't realize your own attraction to such a person. If he was as awful as you say, why did it take you so long to get out of the friendship, partnership, whatever.

We..ALL OF US..are always trying to fix OTHER PEOPLE..instead of ourselves. My Ex wife was manipulative, mean, and cold. An episode of House where they showed a female psychopath who was decieving everybody scared the hell out of me because she acted EXACTLY like my wife. There's a scene where she reveals her true self tom 13. In my case my wife in a conversation suddenly turned stone faced and said "give me what I want or I'll make our children hate you, I can make them love you or hate you" It was the same robotic, unemotional way that the actress did it on House. When our marriage ended I was a mess. Dwelling and dwelling on why, if she hated me so long(i found out) would she stay with me for 18 years! How could she not love me, I showered her with affection? Not looking at all what was wrong with me that I'd totally be oblivious to eveything she did. was doing, that I wouldn't put up with for a second in others. I dated and found I was suddenly with another woman, very much like my ex! Then of course, I have to rationalize THEY MUST ALL BE LIKE THAT, to ease my inability to work on myself.

Only, when I delved into what made me attractive, have an attraction to this sort of person, did they suddenly start disappearing from my life. I could dwell on this for the rest of my life, or move on..I eventually moved on. Only looking at the past to avoid future mistakes, not to time travel in my mind and fix something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships