Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 06:53 PM

2,385 posts, read 4,334,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
It seems to me that Violett *never* wants to talk to these people even though she is visiting them in the spring. That doesn't make too much sense to me.

I think that if a person cares to know people they make concessions here and there to speak with them even if they don't necessarily feel like it.
I'm going to try to explain this as clearly as possible, but I don't know if I can do it justice because it's a little hard to put into words.

I'm much closer to my father's side of the family, my mom died when I was young and I've lost touch with nearly everyone on her side except these relatives.

On my mom's side of the family, everyone is very extroverted, but they keep the conversation topics light and impersonal. But there's ways of communicating on my mom's side of the family that's nonverbal, there's a lot of reading in between the lines. If you say the wrong thing in the wrong way, they'll just stop talking to you. There are unwritten "rules" in behavior.

My uncle (mother's brother), for reasons unknown to me, just stopped talking to me. I'm not really sure why and attempts to email him have been futile. I must have broken some "rule" and I have no idea what it is that I did. He had some ongoing drama with my mom to which I'm not privy the details before she died and I think he just carried on the drama with me, but honestly, I don't know.

The family I want to keep in touch with are my uncle's children who are now grown with their children. One of the cousins came to stay with my family for a while when I was growing up, and even though we've lost touch, we still have a kind of bond between us. But, I'm really terrified of saying or doing the wrong thing by accident and losing the last part of that side of my family.

I figure that when I go down to visit them, if they get to know me in person a little better, they may understand me a little bit more and then I'll feel less scared to say or do the wrong thing over the phone or Skype. You would not believe how quickly this side of the family makes snap judgments that they will stick to forever and never open up and discuss it with you, so I really feel like I need to tread lightly in terms of communication until I meet them. I don't want anything I say to be misconstrued before I have a chance to see them in person and let them get to know me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 07:04 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,928,336 times
Wow. That's intense. So you basically don't trust them. I would just say your computer is broken or something . . . there must be something you can think of. You are not at their mercy.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:18 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I'm reminded of the work/marriage thread. And sure, most good things require effort. Obviously, we all have our own ideas of what's good enough.
We do.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Wow. That's intense. So you basically don't trust them. I would just say your computer is broken or something . . . there must be something you can think of. You are not at their mercy.
haha, well I guess that's the thing. I sort of feel like I am at their mercy. We're on Facebook together, and so far that's going ok, but I don't want to push it.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
I'm going to try to explain this as clearly as possible, but I don't know if I can do it justice because it's a little hard to put into words.

I'm much closer to my father's side of the family, my mom died when I was young and I've lost touch with nearly everyone on her side except these relatives.

On my mom's side of the family, everyone is very extroverted, but they keep the conversation topics light and impersonal. But there's ways of communicating on my mom's side of the family that's nonverbal, there's a lot of reading in between the lines. If you say the wrong thing in the wrong way, they'll just stop talking to you. There are unwritten "rules" in behavior.

My uncle (mother's brother), for reasons unknown to me, just stopped talking to me. I'm not really sure why and attempts to email him have been futile. I must have broken some "rule" and I have no idea what it is that I did. He had some ongoing drama with my mom to which I'm not privy the details before she died and I think he just carried on the drama with me, but honestly, I don't know.

The family I want to keep in touch with are my uncle's children who are now grown with their children. One of the cousins came to stay with my family for a while when I was growing up, and even though we've lost touch, we still have a kind of bond between us. But, I'm really terrified of saying or doing the wrong thing by accident and losing the last part of that side of my family.

I figure that when I go down to visit them, if they get to know me in person a little better, they may understand me a little bit more and then I'll feel less scared to say or do the wrong thing over the phone or Skype. You would not believe how quickly this side of the family makes snap judgments that they will stick to forever and never open up and discuss it with you, so I really feel like I need to tread lightly in terms of communication until I meet them. I don't want anything I say to be misconstrued before I have a chance to see them in person and let them get to know me.

Thank you very much for the insight into your dilemma. Honestly, it makes the situation much clearer and I understand where you are coming from now.

If these people are this judgmental (my father's side is like this and my mother's brother also stopped talking to my sister and I) then you are better off keeping your distance. I hope you don't get hurt in this situation.

How long are you staying/visiting them?

Old 01-11-2011, 07:31 PM

I'm going to visit a city near them (a couple of hours away from them) because i'm thinking about moving there (regardless of whatever happens between them and myself) and I'm driving out to see them for a few hours. I would visit for longer, but I haven't been invited to yet, and I'm certainly not going to invite myself lol.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
I'm going to visit a city near them (a couple of hours away from them) because i'm thinking about moving there (regardless of whatever happens between them and myself) and I'm driving out to see them for a few hours. I would visit for longer, but I haven't been invited to yet, and I'm certainly not going to invite myself lol.
If they are anything like my dad's family, I don't blame you! LOL

Good luck!

Old 01-11-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
If these people are this judgmental (my father's side is like this and my mother's brother also stopped talking to my sister and I) then you are better off keeping your distance. I hope you don't get hurt in this situation.
Thanks I'm sorry for your situation, but I don't feel as bad knowing I'm not the only person this has happened to. It sucks, doesn't it? I really don't understand people sometimes. I've wanted to know for a long time what I did to my uncle, but I think at this point I've given up trying to figure it out.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Thanks I'm sorry for your situation, but I don't feel as bad knowing I'm not the only person this has happened to. It sucks, doesn't it? I really don't understand people sometimes. I've wanted to know for a long time what I did to my uncle, but I think at this point I've given up trying to figure it out.
I haven't seen my uncle (mom's brother) since my first grader was a baby. He has never met my husband or younger son. I have no idea what I did wrong either. Family!

Old 01-11-2011, 09:22 PM

736 posts, read 1,695,488 times
Quote:
But then they want to talk on the phone and to me phone and Skype are the same thing. I just don't want to offend them. Some members recently had little ones and want to show them to me and me to them.

I just feel really awkward because I haven't ever been close with this side of the family nor have I seen any of them for 10 years. They feel like strangers.
If you aren't that close to them and never have been, they can't be that anxious to show you their little ones.

I don't know, maybe you could communicate with them by taking lots of pictures...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships