Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 08:43 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,316,466 times

Advertisements

Is it easy or hard for you to give other people praise and credit? Some people don't receive a lot of praise and credit from their parents when they are growing up or even "thank you's" for what they do...We live in such a competitive society. A lot of people try to "top" each other instead of taking the time to praise or thank someone else for their ideas and contributions. Have you noticed this?...Do you receive praise and credit from the people in your life? Are you comfortable praising others? Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 09:03 AM

130 posts, read 336,124 times
Yes, I receive praise and credit from other people. I am also comfortable giving it out to other people. I am not a very competitive person who has to "win" all the time. As for growing up, I received praise and credit from my family. I was also taught to say "thank you" to those who do things for me.

I think someone has insecurity problems if they cannot praise or give credit to others.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:19 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
Are you comfortable praising others? Thanks...
Not nearly as much as I should be... It just wasn't something done much in my family and society when I was growing up. I'm trying to be more mindful of it, but it doesn't come naturally to me.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:21 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times
Quote:
Is it easy or hard for you to give other people praise and credit? Some people don't receive a lot of praise and credit from their parents when they are growing up or even "thank you's" for what they do...We live in such a competitive society. A lot of people try to "top" each other instead of taking the time to praise or thank someone else for their ideas and contributions. Have you noticed this?...Do you receive praise and credit from the people in your life? Are you comfortable praising others? Thanks...
Yes, to both questions!

Thankfully, all of the time!!

Old 01-26-2011, 09:43 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
No, I don't feel like I receive praise when it's warranted which is why I have no problem giving praise and credit where it's due.

I think most people like to know that they are appreciated and have their effort/hard work recognized.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:49 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,622,832 times
I give freely. I don't always receive - at least not in all situations.

Doesn't bother me, though - I know my worth; that's all that matters.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:12 AM

697 posts, read 1,281,474 times
people get praise from me when they deserve it -- nothing worse than being fake about it

Old 01-26-2011, 10:18 AM

2,179 posts, read 3,404,562 times
When I see someone doing well, it is a source of hope and faith. It's an affirmation of our common challenge to win at the game of life. Probably sounds corny and fake, but that's how I see it. I admit there have been times in my life when that sentiment didn't come so easily, when my first instinct was to feel threatened; like, why not me?! But in truth that was when I was very young. By now I realize that this life is hard on all of us, that nobody, regardless of how it may seem is without struggle, and I am generous with that acknowledgment.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:32 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
I give praise, credit and thank yous out like candy. Ninety percent of the time they are sincere.
Being a parent I think it is important, when warranted, to encourage your children and give them confidence. It also makes people feel appreciated.

It has been my experience with most of the men in my life that they need praise and credit even when something isn’t really praise worthy.

I do also receive praise/credit/thank you mostly within my work environment.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:39 AM

2,068 posts, read 4,337,250 times
Quote:
I both receive and give when it's due.
People who can't give have emotional issues (or some kind of issue).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships