Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 01:58 PM

2,013 posts, read 3,546,641 times

Advertisements

Just cook whatever you want whenever you want, for heaven's sake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 02:41 PM

697 posts, read 1,281,035 times
i agree with miss lucky-- just cook whatever the hell you feel like cooking-- roommate will get over it

Old 01-27-2011, 03:01 PM

469 posts, read 1,256,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the old man View Post
i agree with miss lucky-- just cook whatever the hell you feel like cooking-- roommate will get over it
Seems like a disrespectful approach (just doing what you feel like anyway) if you know there's an underlying issue, no matter how small or trivial. If these two aren't able or willing to talk to each other over something so simple, there's a bigger problem in their levels of maturity. Somebody needs to be the adult in that household.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:18 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,472,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennie Flowers View Post
Wow. Why are you all criticizing me? Mean.
You come in here and ask a assinine common sense question that you should be communicating to your roommate.

So how are we mean by telling you what you should be telling your roommate?

Old 01-27-2011, 04:44 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,681,526 times
I wouldn't know how to prepare a dinner meal without onions and garlic. They are always the first two ingredients I reach for when I'm cooking.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:52 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,643,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro View Post
Move out? Find a new roommate? Because of onions???

What if such drastic solutions were applied to similar everyday topics with your significant others:
"I don't like those shoes you're wearing... I'm moving out!"
"You know I hate Seinfeld. I'm leaving you forever."
Work it out, people — that's why they're called "relationships." Practice makes perfect.
I don't think this is a SO, just a room mate. It's hard to explain, but there are differences in how you would treat the two.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:15 PM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,169,083 times
my roommate said something about me cooking once

i said "yo, its a kitchen, it smells like food, ****"

he hasnt complained since. smells when he cooks too so dunno why he was complaining

Old 01-28-2011, 05:53 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,430,343 times
The only time I've ever gotten annoyed by a roommate cooking in the kitchen was when I was in a townhouse sublet over a summer. My roommate insisted on cooking stinky foods with both the stove and oven on, heating up the whole house very late at night (as in after I was in bed). My room was directly above the kitchen so both the heat and the smells would wake me up.

I talked to him about it and he got really angry. Silly. We worked the same hours so all I asked was for him to stop cooking at 11PM. It was a weird situation.

Honestly, I'd never stop cooking onions. Onions and garlic are the basis of all of my meals- they're cheap, go with everything, and make a great base for soups. I would be willing to work around my roommate but I tend to get home later than most of the people I live with due to a long commute so cooking before they get home is generally not an option. If I know I'm cooking something smelly (fish, curry, etc), I always light a candle and open a window- even now when it's 0 degrees outside.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:20 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,338,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthsideJacksonville View Post
People catch feelings at the most ridiculous of things, my goodness First it's women being called "females", now this. I'm not being mean, I'm just saying that people need to toughen up. Life is too short to get offended by petty things.
Given that, now if someone said your post in bold bothered them, you could start up a thread about not posting entirely.

Seriously, this is easy to solve. Don't cook with onions often. Do it when the roommate is out of the house or won't be home for a while. Open up windows, turn on fans, vent out the place.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:44 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,640,374 times
Do you pay rent? Then you have a right to cook in the place you share. I agree that you should be mindful with each other but if you are cooking, why should you have to readjust your menu plan because someone doesn't like the smell of something? I say do what you want in small doses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships