Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2011, 09:47 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,212,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetheart1311 View Post
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes parents, we know if you teach/discipline your child(ren) properly they wont be like that, let’s not get into that debate now, for Christ's sake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 06:11 AM

22,333 posts, read 29,421,443 times
Yes and then I go drink, dance and F all night and tell them to enjoy their "quality" time together...Or I simply take off for the weekend at 5 mins notice and send them pics of the goregeous beach from my phone...

Old 02-02-2011, 06:17 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,553,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I truly don't understand why anybody would care about other people's choices that don't affect them... I AM annoyed by a brood of kids I and the rest of us taxpayers have to raise because their irresponsible parents can't afford them, but other than that I don't give it a second thought.
Same here.

And yes, I've been "talked down to" by parents and although it's irritating, I usually don't react. I've always thought that their attitude when they do this is utterly unconvincing and that it looks like they're trying to sell me something...

Old 02-02-2011, 06:34 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noela View Post
Same here.

And yes, I've been "talked down to" by parents and although it's irritating, I usually don't react. I've always thought that their attitude when they do this is utterly unconvincing and that it looks like they're trying to sell me something...
Exactly. This type of behavior always indicates people are trying to sell you something they want to return to the store themselves, no matter which side of the fence the comments come from and no matter what the subject is.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:45 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,067,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Same. I don't have kids. I'm not a wearer of the childless-by-choice badge, I just don't have kids - may or may not have biological ones in the future, not really sure how that's going to pan out. I work with kids, in an environment where the majority of coworkers have kids, and those who don't, largely do plan to. I've never really gotten any commentary about my not being a parent at this point, other than being asked, "Do you have kids?" Nothing beyond that. Not sure where all these accusatory, attacking, and/or smug sorts are hanging out, but not where I am. Or, perhaps, because I'm not actively looking for those attitudes, I'm not seeing them everywhere. Just a thought.
Thank you for posting this TR.

From the comments of the other childfree posters I had to wonder if that was actually the norm.

We are not childfree, we have 4 kids, but I have NEVER made comments like those examples posted by some of the other childfree posters. I can't even imagine making some of the comments that have been made.

My sil and my aunt are both childfree (not sure if it's by choice, not my business) and it's just the way it is. I don't question why they don't have kids, they live their life the way they want to and they do what works for them.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:00 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,314,426 times
I think it's great that couples can make choices today about whether they want to have children or not...When I was growing up this just didn't seem like an option. Everyone automatically had kids...My older son and his wife and my husband's son from his first marriage and his wife decided not to have kids and we have no problem with it at all...We admire them for "knowing who they are" and "what they want."...One of my husband's daughters has 5 children now. We wondered why she wanted so many kids but we kept our mouth shut and never said a word about it...It's so expensive to raise kids today. And it's hard to make sure that each child receives attention....But "our daughter" does fine. Some people enjoy being surrounded by kids and others don't...I think we all need to do what seems "best" and "right" for us. I don't think parents should try to "guilt-trip" their kids when it comes to "producing grandkids."

Old 02-02-2011, 10:16 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
Thank you for posting this TR.

From the comments of the other childfree posters I had to wonder if that was actually the norm.
Not in my experience. My opinion is that it's completely for dramatic effect, and not really the norm at all. Vociferously militant standpoints on either side of an issue are rarely representative of the norm. Most people just aren't that bothered by what other people do.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:22 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times
Quote:
Not in my experience. My opinion is that it's completely for dramatic effect, and not really the norm at all. Vociferously militant standpoints on either side of an issue are rarely representative of the norm. Most people just aren't that bothered by what other people do.
I know a few people in my social circle who are either in a relationship and have decided they don't want kids, or who have decided as individuals that they don't want kids, and none of them have ever been as over-the-top spiteful as some of the people here and elsewhere on the internet. Really, asid from one gal who is kind of "creeped out" by kids, the others actually like kids quite a bit - one of them, I went to art school with, and she majored in animation and minored in toy design! She has worked on a bunch of kids' shows and collects toys. She thinks kids are awesome, it's just that she doesn't feel like she's capable emotionally of raising a child because of some of the events in her childhood.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:32 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Eh, people say things online that they'd never say to somebody's face. Pretty standard.

I know a lot of kid lovers who aren't interested in having any of their own, as well, for what it's worth. Many are people who work in the arts, which doesn't necessarily provide a stable financial situation that would be of great importance in raising children, and typically necessitates a more mobile lifestyle than is optimum. I applaud them for knowing that their chosen lifestyle isn't especially kid-friendly, and I applaud them even more for not spewing negativity about children, wholesale, simply because they chose not to have them. It's interesting to me, in a society that generally frowns upon writing off an entire subset of the population as bigoted, it's considered totally socially appropriate by some to sound of vocally about one's hatred of children. Not specific children...all children. Extremism, much?

Old 02-02-2011, 12:22 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times
Quote:
Eh, people say things online that they'd never say to somebody's face. Pretty standard.

I know a lot of kid lovers who aren't interested in having any of their own, as well, for what it's worth. Many are people who work in the arts, which doesn't necessarily provide a stable financial situation that would be of great importance in raising children, and typically necessitates a more mobile lifestyle than is optimum. I applaud them for knowing that their chosen lifestyle isn't especially kid-friendly, and I applaud them even more for not spewing negativity about children, wholesale, simply because they chose not to have them. It's interesting to me, in a society that generally frowns upon writing off an entire subset of the population as bigoted, it's considered totally socially appropriate by some to sound of vocally about one's hatred of children. Not specific children...all children. Extremism, much?
Yeah, I don't imagine that most of the people out there who vocally decry children and their parents would be totally okay with someone coming out and talking about how they can't stand blacks or Asians and that they should be banned from restaurants, flights, etc. because they find some cultural norms normally associated with that race to offensive to their sensibilities.

Like I mentioned, I have a 5-year old nehpew I generally dislike. He's an awful little kid. It's more his parents' fault than his, but the blame isn't the point - I don't feel like having him try to punch me in the balls, grope my girlfriend's breasts, kick the side of my car a bunch, and then poop himself and cry when I tell him to stop it. I could understand why anyone wouldn't want to be around him. But why decide you don't like any kids based on one?

Generally, when you write off the macro for the micro, it's called ignorance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships