Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2011, 03:27 PM

600 posts, read 1,609,367 times

Advertisements

I don't have a problem saying that I don't like kids and don't want any (and I'm a woman). Most people I know know that about me. The only sad thing is that most of my friends are married already and are now at the age when they start thinking about or trying to have a baby. Once they do - I just can't relate to them anymore and we pretty much stop hanging out I dread the day when my best friend tells me she's pregnant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 03:39 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,212,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
I'm just teasin' you...hope you realize that!

Of course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetheart1311 View Post
The only sad thing is that most of my friends are married already and are now at the age when they start thinking about or trying to have a baby. Once they do - I just can't relate to them anymore and we pretty much stop hanging out I dread the day when my best friend tells me she's pregnant

I know what you mean, sweetheart.

Suddenly all the girlfriends who I used to go dancing with are now at mother’s groups or kid’s days. I miss them, but I understand, and there is no way I am going to change my mind simply for fear of getting “left behind”. The way I see it is I will always have those friends and the memories we shared, but it’s also ok to make new ones.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:52 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Can't really imagine basing my friendship with somebody on whether or not they have kids. I've got friends of all ages, genders, married and unmarried, and with and without kids. I have made VERY different lifestyle choices than probably the majority of my friends (especially my childhood friends), yet, the bonds are still there.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I know, right?

I should ask my BF's globetrotting father how exactly it is that he manages to travel to exotic locales for sh*ts n' giggles and maintain his Upper East Side condo despite having a 5-year old daughter. Oh, wait, I know...he makes a good living, AGAINST ALL ODDS, apparently, given that he has thrown away his life, along with all prayers of a normal and fulfilling existence, raising three sons into adulthood, and now one small daughter.
That's great if you make a good living - i.e. a lot of money - but what about when you make $700 a week?

I am 30 years old and I make that. $200 of it goes towards rent, I have $500 left to pay off the rest of my bills, put some into savings (usually $150 - $200) and have some sort of a life with... I can't even afford to pay for a car, let alone a child. We can't all afford condos on the Upper East Side.

I would be giving up my life and giving up doing the things I wanted. Of the little money I have left at the end of the week, I like to spend it on enjoying myself.

Would I have children if I had money? No. I like my life the way it is. I don't care how many parents say “oh don't worry, we can still sleep in/go to dinners/take holidays/stay out all night too!”, it’s never the same (in my experience of having friends who are parents, anyway). I like my time to be mine, too.

Last edited by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa*; 02-03-2011 at 04:22 PM..

Old 02-03-2011, 04:06 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dweet View Post
Childless couples should be given a tax credit for being unselfish & eco-friendly as having children is detrimental to our environment.
Instead we get a marriage penalty tax.
I think Clinton tried to get it repealed once.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:20 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
Not to justify any nasty behaviour, but you have clearly never had to constantly defend a personal life choice to people.

Pretty much everyone I know has kids or plans on having them someday. You may as well be a leper when you say “I don’t actually want kids” to them. Yes I know, get new friends. I have heard it all before. Problem is, society has drilled into their brains that you must reproduce.

IMO it’s twice as hard if you’re a woman. What kind of a woman doesn’t want children?

Just look at this stuff!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1185128/Why-bosses-right-distrust-women-dont-want-children--VERY-outspoken-mother-ex-boss.html

Now how do you think that would make you feel?

Also, some people do actually dislike children. I know that is impossible for some of you to believe, but it’s true. You go from leper to evil monster if you dare to tell the truth and say "I just don't like them".

That’s just the way it is. Yesterday one of my bosses had his beautiful little girl in here. She’s pretty and sweet and lovely, but hearing her run around and make noise made me want to make an appointment to get my tubes tied, and she wasn’t even being that loud. I could have screamed.

The childfree people on here who do like kids but don’t want any of their own are very lucky. They appear to have people around them who accept their choice.

Unfortunately it’s not the same for all of us.
Wowww! That is one assinine article.
I love how it villifies single women.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Wowww! That is one assinine article.
You Google “childless women” and it’s all the same!

Childless Women Do Not Lack "An Essential Humanity"

allDAY - The sisterhood of the childless women

Childless Women Are Perceived as Odd, Cold at the Workplace “

“The last great taboo: Why are we childless women treated like second-class citizens”

Elizabeth Gregory: Pushing Babies: The Assault on Childless Women

Americans Hate Childless Women--Editorial - EmpowHER.com

Of course there are a lot of positive articles too, but the fact that it's even considered unusual is insulting enough for me. A person should be able to make their own choice.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:40 PM

1,801 posts, read 3,554,526 times
Quote:
You Google “childless women” and it’s all the same!

Childless Women Do Not Lack "An Essential Humanity"

allDAY - The sisterhood of the childless women

Childless Women Are Perceived as Odd, Cold at the Workplace “

“The last great taboo: Why are we childless women treated like second-class citizens”

Elizabeth Gregory: Pushing Babies: The Assault on Childless Women

Americans Hate Childless Women--Editorial - EmpowHER.com

Of course there are a lot of positive articles too, but the fact that it's even considered unusual is insulting enough for me. A person should be able to make their own choice.
And yet we should be thankful that this is not the 1950's anymore! But the idea of the heartless b*tch who dislikes children (or who will never want to get married, or... ) and is such an un-natural woman, formerly known as a witch, because of this won't be eradicated anytime soon, I'm afraid.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noela View Post
And yet we should be thankful that this is not the 1950's anymore!
GOD I feel for those women. They had no choice.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:43 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
That's great if you make a good living - i.e. a lot of money - but what about when you make $700 a week?

I am 30 years old and I make that. $200 of it goes towards rent, I have $500 left to pay off the rest of my bills, put some into savings (usually $150 - $200) and have some sort of a life with... I can't even afford to pay for a car, let alone a child. We can't all afford condos on the Upper East Side.
I'm aware of that. I certainly can't. Neither could my SO's dad, when he was 30. My point was to offer a counterpoint to the "People who are tied down by kids never have the freedom to travel, blah blah blah," argument. Having kids doesn't necessarily mean sacrificing all you want in life.

If you can't AFFORD to have kids, then it's best that you don't have them (whether you want them, or not, obviously). But this whole "the childfree have the freedom to travel the world, attending wine tastings in private jets, while those saddled with brats are stuck digging change out of their Big Lots-purchased couch cushions to buy Pampers from the dollar store" thing is bunk.

That's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships