Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How would you say your relationship with your parents is?
Very good, they are the most important people in my life 12 37.50%
Very good, but there's a few people I love more than my parents 5 15.63%
Pretty good 4 12.50%
They weren't great parents, but I still love them regardless 5 15.63%
They were good parents, I just don't feel close to them 2 6.25%
I hate them, they were abusive to me 0 0%
I am indifferent towards them 4 12.50%
I never knew them 0 0%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 11:56 PM

38 posts, read 78,700 times

Advertisements

Which of these options describe it best?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 03:24 AM

I love my parents. I think my wife and kids would be #1 though when i have them, but it wouldn't make me love em less. Heck, I love everyone on this earth!

Old 02-03-2011, 04:22 AM

1,741 posts, read 4,574,531 times
It's great, couldn't be better!

Old 02-03-2011, 04:29 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
Very good relationship though it wasn't always so. It seems the older we all get the closer we all become. Of course it also means the closer I get to losing them.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:36 AM

29 posts, read 36,256 times
My mom and dad are like my best friends.. they even share their sex life to me LOL

Old 02-03-2011, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sad_chick View Post
My mom and dad are like my best friends.. they even share their sex life to me LOL
hahaha, that's kinda disturbing! but good for you

Old 02-03-2011, 04:57 AM

904 posts, read 2,872,962 times
My relationship with them is okay. I love them but they were not great parents when I was growing up. I spent almost every weekend with my grandmother and finally moved in with her when I was 14. My parents moved 30 miles away to a house with no phone (pre cell phone days). I only saw them a few times a year after that. When I turned 16 and could drive, I saw them a little more. Don't get me wrong, they paid the bills and I am grateful. But I don't feel very close to them.

After I married the first time and had children we became a little closer. After my divorce, I moved back to my home town with my kids and my parents were wonderful grandparents. I am very happy for my children's sake. Three years ago we moved several states away and now everytime I see that my mother is calling I cringe. All I ever hear is how I took her grandchildren away from her and how lonely she is. (although she won't come see them.) I can't take the guilt and frankly...they weren't there for me when I needed them and I just don't feel like I "owe" them anything.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:28 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Very good relationship though it wasn't always so. It seems the older we all get the closer we all become. Of course it also means the closer I get to losing them.
This. I wasn't sure where that fit in the poll.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:43 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,553,043 times
They were not great parents. As a matter of fact, they did countless things wrong (nothing too serious, though, just a lot of small things done wrong, particularly when they were walking the long and winding road to divorce, and dragging me along -typical-)! There were times when it was me that was parenting them. I was a very responsible, mature, independent and resourceful child so maybe I should thank them for that stage of my development lol.

There's only one person I love as much as I love my mother, and that's my partner. My father, I love him a lot, but since he was virtually absent from my life during some key years I don't really feel like he's my father anyway: he's more like a good friend.

I've never hated or despised them for the things they did wrong. They're good people and I appreciate their positive contributions. A house always full of books and movies and good music, where intellectual stimuli were the norm. The way they always tried not to patronise me and were always interested in what I had to say. How we played together and were always doing exciting new things (before things began to go wrong, anyway!). Their own endless curiosity and understanding of other people. How they (my mother, at least) became my parents again when I needed it between my late teens and my early adulthood.

So, my vote would be "Very good, they are the most important people in my life -again, particularly my mother-, although they were not great parents".

Old 02-03-2011, 05:47 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,960,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuShooz View Post
Which of these options describe it best?
I don't like your options. I love my parents like a child normally would, I think. But I can't say that they are the most important people in my life. My son is that...as I think most people's children are. But I have a lot of family, and love them all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships