Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 04:31 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,373,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass101 View Post
Okay, you have convinced me to look into it. I had it on my list of places to look into but I guess I always had the "stereotype" about it that it was more of a cliquey, sorority type atmosphere. Is that not the case?
I am interested too, but I don't like sororities either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 04:38 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,243,693 times
Smile More on that....

I live in Boca Raton, FL which people have a certain perception about. Not always true either. There are some really nice down to earth people here.

When I got involved in the League, my daughter was 8 and my son was 3. I also worked more than full time. I also volunteered in their schools and at church. Volunteering keeps me balanced - when I feel down and then I volunteer, the focus is not on me!

Fast forward 10 years - my daughter goes to college in a southern state. All the girls she meets are from the south and their moms are in the Junior League in their respective cities. I guess one day they were talking about the "white glove" aspect and my daughter was like "the League my mom is in is not anything like that" - made me feel good b/c those are things our League has really worked on.

I did not have a traditional college experience so I did not belong to a sorority. I always felt I missed out. I may have shied away from the League b/c of my own perception and like I've said, I've met some amazing, amazing women.

One of my favorite assignments (after the first year) was to oversee the New Member class. Each year, the new women were even more amazing than the earlier groups! I found the girls to be awesome, willing to learn, and open to the opportunities. We all got our hands dirty!

This is the right time of year to contact the League in your area. I'm sure you will be welcomed with open arms!

Old 02-05-2011, 04:41 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,801,056 times
We have moved to a new area and I also have struggled to make friends. As I can tell:
1. I am pretty picky and critical - so that narrows the field;
2. I have kids - so my time is limited;
3. I am in an area where people NEVER leave so they have all their family and friends here:
4. And we have a BRUTAL winter season

So -
1. I do plan weeks in advance to see the few people that I have made friends with - sometimes 6-8 weeks - but at least we have plans;
2. The friends I have made I try to nuture those friendships;
3. I make dates at times that are not popular for family and friends - breakfast or lunch on a Saturday usually works better than a happy hour or dinner;
4. I have begun to focus on me - health, reading etc.

Good luck - its lonely being somewhere new. I know - - -

Old 02-05-2011, 04:41 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,243,693 times
Smile Not at all - see my other response

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolVa1977 View Post
I am interested too, but I don't like sororities either.
If you're in Northern Virginia, there is a League there. The women come from all walks of life, trust me. Of course, you have your stereotype but that has really changed!

DM if you want - actually here's website for my city:

JUNIOR LEAGUE OF BOCA RATON | Women building better communities

Old 02-05-2011, 04:51 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
Howdy, Bass 101,

Join a regular fishing club in your area, or an online fishing forum. You will make friends. Fishin' folks always want to get together & fish new or old waters. Learn new techniques, baits, lures, etc. Folks have open seats in their boats.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:55 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,908,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
I live in Boca Raton, FL which people have a certain perception about. Not always true either. There are some really nice down to earth people here.

When I got involved in the League, my daughter was 8 and my son was 3. I also worked more than full time. I also volunteered in their schools and at church. Volunteering keeps me balanced - when I feel down and then I volunteer, the focus is not on me!

Fast forward 10 years - my daughter goes to college in a southern state. All the girls she meets are from the south and their moms are in the Junior League in their respective cities. I guess one day they were talking about the "white glove" aspect and my daughter was like "the League my mom is in is not anything like that" - made me feel good b/c those are things our League has really worked on.

I did not have a traditional college experience so I did not belong to a sorority. I always felt I missed out. I may have shied away from the League b/c of my own perception and like I've said, I've met some amazing, amazing women.

One of my favorite assignments (after the first year) was to oversee the New Member class. Each year, the new women were even more amazing than the earlier groups! I found the girls to be awesome, willing to learn, and open to the opportunities. We all got our hands dirty!

This is the right time of year to contact the League in your area. I'm sure you will be welcomed with open arms!
Is the league more geared towards women in their 30s and up? Would it be weird for a 22 year old to try to join?

Old 02-05-2011, 05:10 PM

450 posts, read 5,022,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I find it to be an age thing, here. I'm in my early 30s, as well, and have been living for 3 years or so with my SO in a city and state where we are both transplants. I work with a lot of people who are younger than I am (early to late twenties), and while they go out a lot and socialize, the few of us who are 30+ do not. People socialize at work, but, at least here, once they reach their 30s, tend to become more of homebodies. It's been very hard to get people that I AM friendly with to so much as meet for a Saturday brunch. Sometimes I feel like once people get into their thirties, they tend to lean more toward less spontaneity.
Interesting perspective! I find that too, about the homebodies. It's frustrating, I know. What have you done to try to cope?

Old 02-05-2011, 05:10 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
Most people are too selfish and thoughtless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolVa1977 View Post
work full time
getting an MBA part time
trying to study for a "business law" certification test
and then running errands, cleaning house, etc

it takes all my time, plus church

(no kids no husband here either)

Old 02-05-2011, 08:12 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
We all need friends. I think women especially in your age group are just maxxed out. Between work, kids, home, other family, and a husband....it's a banner evening when they have time to trim their toenails. People need to give friendships a higher priority, at least some of the time. It sounds like you are doing everything right but the people you want to associate with are all too darn busy.

In time, you will find someone who has chosen to simplify her life or just let other things go now and then so she can have and be, a friend. Just don't give up.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:23 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,390,106 times
I'm female and aside from work friends, I have no female friends, nor do I really want any. I have two very close friends, both of them men. I have several other fairly close friends, also men.

Most females bore the hell out of me and always have. To me, men are FAR more interesting, non-judgmental, funny and have fewer hang ups than women. Less competitive and petty too. Just my opinion, I realize most women want to hang with other women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships