Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 06:21 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,394,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
How do you make new friends? I've either out grown my friendships or friends have moved on and I find myself with no real friends, in the area, outside of my family for the first time in my life (I do have strong family support). I miss being able to call up a friend just to chat or going out for drinks. Most of my friends were college friends or women who were in a church group I belonged to years ago (who have all moved on to different churches even different states. I do still email a couple of them).

So how does a 51 year old woman make new friends? I really miss my old women's group. We were close until a change in pastors at the church resulted in most of us leaving the church. Over time, we've just drifted apart now that we don't see each other every week. One mistake I made was relying on that group too much to fill my need for friends. Other friendships went by the wayside during those years. My best friend, for many years, no longer returns my calls. I don't know why but ever since she moved back in with her mom, she won't call back if I call her so I've taken the hint and quit calling.

There really should be a dating like site for people like me who just want to find a new circle of friends to hang out with. So how would you go about making new friends?

One of the best ways to make new friends is to join some volunteer group or meetup group that shares your common interests/goals.

What are you interested in, or interested in learning more about?

Quilting? Photography? A childrens charity? Hiking? Birdwatching?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 06:28 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,578,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
How do you make new friends? I've either out grown my friendships or friends have moved on and I find myself with no real friends, in the area, outside of my family for the first time in my life (I do have strong family support). I miss being able to call up a friend just to chat or going out for drinks. Most of my friends were college friends or women who were in a church group I belonged to years ago (who have all moved on to different churches even different states. I do still email a couple of them).

So how does a 51 year old woman make new friends? I really miss my old women's group. We were close until a change in pastors at the church resulted in most of us leaving the church. Over time, we've just drifted apart now that we don't see each other every week. One mistake I made was relying on that group too much to fill my need for friends. Other friendships went by the wayside during those years. My best friend, for many years, no longer returns my calls. I don't know why but ever since she moved back in with her mom, she won't call back if I call her so I've taken the hint and quit calling.

There really should be a dating like site for people like me who just want to find a new circle of friends to hang out with. So how would you go about making new friends?
If you can afford it, move to a country were people appreciate each other and the pace is much slower. Here in the states it's all about MONEY, to the point where humans and relationships get in the way and nobody has anytime for it.

Edit: Even if you do find "friends" here in the states, it's often fake and they run as soon as you need help.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
If you can afford it, move to a country were people appreciate each other and the pace is much slower. Here in the states it's all about MONEY, to the point where humans and relationships get in the way and nobody has anytime for it.
Oh good grief

Old 02-20-2011, 06:36 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,578,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Oh good grief
Have you ever traveled? At one point I was apart of a Mexican community and I'm not Mexican. I never felt so welcome by another group in my life and I would move to Mexico in a heart beat if there was not so much violence.

All you amercian like to do is work, work, work, with no social life then die.

"A California woman was found dead in her office cubicle, but not until a day after she actually passed away."

Woman dies at work, no one notices until next day | The Big Blog - Seattle Post-Intelligencer

Old 02-21-2011, 12:45 AM

288 posts, read 715,889 times
Take tennis lessons.
Get pretty good at it.
Join a tennis team.
Play tennis.
Go out for lunch or dinner afterwards.

You can meet people at tennis lessons. There are also tennis clinics where people play together.

People play tennis well into their 80s.

Lot's of fun to be had.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:41 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,335,525 times
I had to get a new circle of friends at age 30, when I moved to another state/city to be with my boyfriend. He was the only person I knew when I moved here.

My friends are mainly from:

-work
-the civic choral group that I perform in
-other musicians connected to above
-church
-yoga
-messageboards

Old 02-21-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Have you ever traveled? At one point I was apart of a Mexican community and I'm not Mexican. I never felt so welcome by another group in my life and I would move to Mexico in a heart beat if there was not so much violence.

All you amercian like to do is work, work, work, with no social life then die.

"A California woman was found dead in her office cubicle, but not until a day after she actually passed away."

Woman dies at work, no one notices until next day | The Big Blog - Seattle Post-Intelligencer

Whether I have traveled extensively or not (and I have) is irrelevant to the problem our OP is having

I understand your point about being welcomed into a culture or community you aren't really a part of, but that happens in plenty of places here in America too. (Ever visited Cajun Country in south Louisiana?)

You don't have to go to a foreign country to find a true friend in America

Old 02-21-2011, 12:51 PM

44,285 posts, read 19,948,508 times
Quote:

Edit: Even if you do find "friends" here in the states, it's often fake and they run as soon as you need help.
Wow. Nothing like generalizing!

I'm in my mid-50s and have a large circle of close friends. The circle grows every year. You are never too old to make friends! Ivorytickler, I assume you are a musician, so perhaps seek out some musical groups with which to become involved. Do some volunteer work with your music, or pursue an entirely new interest.

Not in a particular friendly church right now? Then shop around and find one where you feel welcomed and at home, and make new friends there. Lots of churches have fellowship groups which are open to everyone and not just members of that parish or even of the same denomination.

Check the community announcements section of your local newspaper (hard copy or online) regularly for blurbs about upcoming events which sound fund to you. Then GO to some of the events and connect with like-minded people there.

I've never tried meetup.com, but I've heard it's good. Just always use caution when you meet people through online services, and don't give out any personal information until you feel confident that the other person is trustworthy. When you meet for the first time, do so in a public place and not at your/her/his home.

You sound like a very nice and friendly person. It's just a matter of getting started. Force yourself to get out there and meet people in various venues which interest you. Best of luck!

Old 02-21-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
Wow. Nothing like generalizing!

I'm in my mid-50s and have a large circle of close friends. The circle grows every year. You are never too old to make friends! Ivorytickler, I assume you are a musician, so perhaps seek out some musical groups with which to become involved. Do some volunteer work with your music, or pursue an entirely new interest.

Not in a particular friendly church right now? Then shop around and find one where you feel welcomed and at home, and make new friends there. Lots of churches have fellowship groups which are open to everyone and not just members of that parish or even of the same denomination.

Check the community announcements section of your local newspaper (hard copy or online) regularly for blurbs about upcoming events which sound fund to you. Then GO to some of the events and connect with like-minded people there.

I've never tried meetup.com, but I've heard it's good. Just always use caution when you meet people through online services, and don't give out any personal information until you feel confident that the other person is trustworthy. When you meet for the first time, do so in a public place and not at your/her/his home.

You sound like a very nice and friendly person. It's just a matter of getting started. Force yourself to get out there and meet people in various venues which interest you. Best of luck!
Meetup.com can be a great way to meet people with similar interests

Over the years my husband has found tennis partners, volley ball games, and hiking groups this way. I highly recommend anyone looking to make some new friends try doing this

Old 02-21-2011, 03:56 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,291,251 times
Making friends is the same at any age. Friendship develops over time. Old friends are a treasure if u have both grown and still remained friends. True friends are a godsend where and whenever u find them. One thing I have learned over the years friendly people attract more friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships