Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 09:53 AM

2,652 posts, read 4,798,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDASpaceman View Post
What does she look like?
First, this is funny.
Second, why?

Would you ask the question, if it were a guy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 06:54 PM

59 posts, read 104,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
No one who monopolozies a conversation for 95% of the time is "interesting." Maybe if it's 1969 and you're chatting with Neil Armstrong (who just returned from the moon), it would be OK. Otherwise... this is a self-absorbed BORE.

Anyway, this is not conversation. Anyone who takes up 95% of any chat is engaging in a monologue. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.....
Couldn't have said it better myself. Conversation is a two-way street that a lot of people haven't mastered yet.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:05 PM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,170,662 times
do a lot of interesting things, get stories to tell. read news, watch movies, listen to music you might be able to talk to other people about. get to know people, ask them how things are going on in their life.

talking aint hard if you are interesting yourself and keep up with the world

Old 03-09-2011, 07:13 PM

59 posts, read 104,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldus View Post
I started this new job recently and my supervisor is an extremely talkative person. He gets in very early before me and leaves some time after I do and I'm in there for at least 8 1/2 hours each day. So I know he's doing his work but he also spends copious amounts of time each day chatting with people nearby (I sit in the next large cube over and we're still in visible view of each other). He'll spend up to an hour sometimes chatting with someone and he is usually talking about 95% of the conversation. Everyone basically just listens to him. He's an interesting person but he talks a lot! Meanwhile, I'm always having the hardest time even getting one word out of mouth when I'm in these situations at work. I just wonder how people are able to chat for that long and have seemingly infinite amounts of things to tell other people. I recognize that I'm extremely quiet and introverted and going to work on improving that, but even if I wasn't he talks a lot to the point of distracting me from doing my work. I'm thinking about putting on some headphones and listening to music but I don't want to look like I'm trying to ignore people or something. How are people able to do that?

I want to get better at being able to contribute something to a conversation even if it's a small amount but have no idea how. I'm the youngest person in the area I work in and everyone else is probably a good 10-15 years older than me. A lot of the topics are more sophisticated and I never have any clue what sort of questions to even ask without putting my foot in my mouth. Everyone else always seems to know what to say and I never do. How do I get better at this? I've been listening to audiobooks about communicating and interacting with people. I've also thought about joining a Toastmasters club (I heard that they have sessions where they make you talk on the spot for some time about whatever). How can I improve in these situations?
I used to be exactly like you. Don't worry though, it will get better. You do need to work at it though. I did join toastmasters and it was one of the best things I ever did. Toastmasters is a wonderful organization with lots of interesting people that are very helpful. I see you're from Chicago so there should be lot of clubs going on there. I learned so much confidence from public speaking.
Don't be afraid to converse at work. Most people like quiet people and would like them to open up more. If you like animals and see a coworker with a photo of her cat or dog, that's a great conversation starter. If you like children, a lot of women in the working world are moms and the topic of children is a good conversation starter. Sports is another good topic to chat about.
I would need to know more about your supervisor to give you advice about him/her. Do you two get along? Does he/she ever act like they want to chat with you? Like ask you questions to get you talking? Is you've said yes to any of these, then go ahead and jump in and converse some. Just be sure to don't overdo it, since you want to look like a good worker too. Just don't worry about being nervous and you'll make it!

Old 03-09-2011, 07:36 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
I have wondered the same for years, why and how some talk almost constantly... particularly about mundane topics...( "the more you talk the less you know"). We learn more by listening than by speaking!

If someone talks more than you, it does not mean they are smarter, more engaging etc. Toastmasters is a good recommendation if you want to feel more at ease and confident when interacting and speaking in public.

Mostly I wanted to say: it is very wise to keep your own counsel-particularly at work!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships