Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 12:03 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
When this happened I had no idea she was this way. I had never had this experience with her before and I guess I assumed most people have enough common sense not to spill someone else's guts as she did.

It won't happen again, believe me. BTW, I have to see these people to this day and she does not. It's a rotten feeling to know that my personal "issues" are now known. It's like airing someone's dirty laundry and then not being around for the fallout.

Well, what's done is done - don't spend any more emotional energy on it or her.

Being depressed is nothing to be ashamed of. I understand you would have rathered the infomation stayed private, but since it's out there now stand tall and be proud of yourself for working thru it. Doing so can make you an inspiration to others around you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 12:09 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,623,378 times
If this information ruined your reputation it must be something that you don't feel very good about but I guess you made the mistake of confiding that information to your so called friend. I think all of us have done things we regret so I can sympathize with your predicament. I just hope it isn't something that will cause major problems in your life. I guess there are some things that are better left unsaid unless you really trust someone.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:17 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Well, what's done is done - don't spend any more emotional energy on it or her.

Being depressed is nothing to be ashamed of. I understand you would have rathered the infomation stayed private, but since it's out there now stand tall and be proud of yourself for working thru it. Doing so can make you an inspiration to others around you
Well it's a little worse than that. She told them that I was depressed, lonely, self-medicating and that she was taking me somewhere for help for a while. I mean OMG!

She said "don't worry, being in rehab is en vogue." Oh really? Hey, if I want it advertised I'll go on Intervention. I mean, I am anonymous here so I don't mind sharing this (plus I'm in good company with LiLo and Charlie, right? Only my thing was wine, nothing illegal) God.

So you can imagine the gossip. I just really did not need that shared with people I am not even close to or speak with and I speak a whole lot less with them now. In fact I avoid them like the plague.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:24 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Well it's a little worse than that. She told them that I was depressed, lonely, self-medicating and that she was taking me somewhere for help for a while. I mean OMG!

She said "don't worry, being in rehab is en vogue." Oh really? Hey, if I want it advertised I'll go on Intervention. I mean, I am anonymous here so I don't mind sharing this (plus I'm in good company with LiLo and Charlie, right? Only my thing was wine, nothing illegal) God.

So you can imagine the gossip. I just really did not need that shared with people I am not even close to or speak with and I speak a whole lot less with them now. In fact I avoid them like the plague.
I agree you didn't "need" this, but what's done is done honey. Quit spending valuable energy on it. Like I said, hold your head up high and stop projecting an attitude of shame

Old 04-09-2011, 12:29 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,382,313 times
I'm sorry this happened to you. Even if you weren't clear with your friend that the information shouldn't be disclosed, it's almost like an unsaid thing. When someone shares something very personal with you, you should keep it to yourself!
At this point, just like others have said, there is nothing you can do. With time, people will forget about this personal information. People thrive on drama and excitement and love getting juicy news, but they have short memories and quickly forget too.

On a personal note, there is a reason why some personal things will never come out of my mouth. I keep such things to myself. Just look at my status.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I'm sorry this happened to you. Even if you weren't clear with your friend that the information shouldn't be disclosed, it's almost like an unsaid thing. When someone shares something very personal with you, you should keep it to yourself!
At this point, just like others have said, there is nothing you can do. With time, people will forget about this personal information. People thrive on drama and excitement and love getting juicy news, but they have short memories and quickly forget too.

On a personal note, there is a reason why some personal things will never come out of my mouth. I keep such things to myself. Just look at my status.
LOL, . Yes, what's done is done but I still cringe over it. And while these people may not give it much thought, I just feel like I'm walking around with a scarlett letter on my forehead. This is just how much I did not want this information disclosed.

I can't change the past and I can't change the fact my (former?) friend has such a big mouth (when it comes to my personal business), but it sure ticked me off to hear she felt she'd be crossing a line to even ask who her new neighbors were going to be.

Then she said to me - don't you think they already knew? No, I don't think they already knew! But they sure do now. And thanks for your sentiments and everyone's support. I am sure I feel much worse about all of this and am much more horrified typing this than any of you are reading it.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:50 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,382,313 times
Well, it's natural to feel embarrassed that others know your personal information, but I believe that eventually it will pass.
Keep your head up, I'm sure those people have their own sceletons in the closet.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Well, it's natural to feel embarrassed that others know your personal information, but I believe that eventually it will pass.
Keep your head up, I'm sure those people have their own sceletons in the closet.
Yes, I know we all do but many are lucky enough to get to keep them there. There is one more horrific thing I forgot to mention. After my friend went ahead and told these people these things she actually followed up with CARDS to them thanking them (for their support?!) and telling them I had a very, very serious condition. OMG!!!! Can you imagine? Double damage. The only saving grace might be they thought she was a nutcase for doing so.

So maybe now it's obvious why I am not sure I can even get past this even though I thought I had. It wasn't just a blurting out of my stuff in a thoughtless moment, rather a thought out and over time situation in which cards were sent to these people! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Old 04-09-2011, 01:39 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,623,378 times
To be honest, now that you've given us a little information about this situation I first of all don't think that it should ruin your reputation. I actually suspected it was going to be some sort of sexual situation that you regreted. I don't see this as something to feel ashamed of although I do agree that your friend shouldn't have spread the word as though it's some kind of office gossip.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:47 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,312,208 times
Sorry your personal business was revealed by your friend, but I don't think this would ruin your reputation. People get help for issues like yours everyday. I think people would respect you for recognizing that you had a problem and needed help. I agree with the posters who say don't tell things you don't want shared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships