U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 10:34 AM

433 posts, read 1,205,658 times

Advertisements

I don't mean to stereotype, but I'll be hanging out at this social hobby gaming store for the next 2 nights as a beginner to the types of board games they play there like Dungeons & Dragons, Magic, Minecraft, etc. I'm kind of back at square one with no friends after the year and a half vocational course I took, but I learned from my mistakes about what I should and shouldn't do socially.

If I get along with the guys that hang out there and we become friends and get to hang out with each other somewhere else, do you think they have other interests besides games, like sports, movies, partying, etc.? I don't want to suddenly convert into living a "nerd" lifestyle and be hanging out with these people who only like gaming.

Again, I don't mean to stereotype and describe what is real from what I've seen on TV and in movies about what nerds are really like. But I hope you guys know what I mean.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 10:39 AM

12,941 posts, read 19,962,640 times
My oldest son went through a gaming phase when he was in his mid-teens - back then it was Warcraft and D&D - and he went at it hot and heavy for a while, but it never affected his ability to party and just hang-out. The plus side was that he enlarged his circle of friends (and I got to help him paint those neat little pewter figures ).

Old 04-19-2011, 10:51 AM

16,409 posts, read 27,581,182 times
haha do whatever you enjoy doing, i was friends with everyone back in high school. i never gave a crap about what other people said, if i enjoyed it, i did it and admitted it to anyone. I knew more about video games and anime than the geeks of the school and more about death metal than the goths of the school, but did it affect my popularity in any way? nope.

its all about confidence, do what you enjoy, you only get one life so be happy. if you like the people you hang out with, hang out with em. if they bore you, find new friends. no use wasting time with people you dont like

Old 04-19-2011, 11:10 AM

5,258 posts, read 8,315,787 times
I play video games and, although I'm not heavily into them anymore, I was a pretty serious gamer a few years ago. A lot of people said it seemed out of character for someone like me (whatever that means).

One thing I love doing is reading. I can spend all afternoon at Barnes & Noble just reading. This might be considered nerdy.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:14 AM

5,143 posts, read 11,429,646 times
You can have a variety of friends. I have my married friends, my party friends, clean cut friends, my gay friends, different race friends deep in own culture, old friends, young friends...

What I am trying to say is all types have something fun to bring to the table. Why pick just one group?

Of the nerdy gamers I knew they did do a lot of other things besides that.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:22 AM

2,726 posts, read 4,707,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlquebec102 View Post
I don't want to suddenly convert into living a "nerd" lifestyle and be hanging out with these people who only like gaming.
If you don't want to do this, then don't but be careful how you communicate your desire to change the scenery every once in a while.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:44 AM

12,094 posts, read 11,757,418 times
OP, you should keep an open mind and try out new things -- that said, I do have some (limited) experience with the types who hang out in game shops. A few years ago, I had a boss who was into a superhero dice game, and he encouraged a bunch of us to go to this comic book shop where it was played once a week. I went. It's usually a good idea to be into what the boss is into ... wow. Different life, different people. No, I didn't get the sense that they had a life outside of the comic book shop.

Try it out though. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:45 AM

9,410 posts, read 18,689,943 times
There's nothing wrong with having different sets of friends. When I was younger I had my geek friends, jock friends, artistic friends, hoodlum friends, etc. I hung out with all kinds of people. I don't get out as much today, but I never turn down the prospect of having a new friend because of any perceived cultural or social differences.

Hang out with the gamers and enjoy their company. They may or may not want to join you for a football game or a hike outdoors, but you don't have to spend all your time with one bucket of friends. Spread the wealth.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:59 AM

433 posts, read 1,205,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
No, I didn't get the sense that they had a life outside of the comic book shop.
Really? Why is that? Did you ask them what else they did? Or do you mean you didn't get the sense that they didn't have a life outside of the comic book shop?

Old 04-19-2011, 07:31 PM

3,111 posts, read 7,342,405 times
You don't have any friends now, so why do you care what others think if you hang out there. If you like playing the games, then don't worry about it, and make some new friends please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships