Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 08:00 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,466,711 times

Advertisements

This is THE facebook thread

Anything you want to discuss about facebook
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 08:06 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,723,939 times
Facebook is to City Data Forum what cartoons are to the Discovery Channel.

I terminated my account.

Facebook is boring.

It seems every advertiser has a Facebook presence now. Seems commercial and it seems like Facebook lost its novelty.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Facebook is to City Data Forum what cartoons are to the Discovery Channel.

I terminated my account.

Facebook is boring.

It seems every advertiser has a Facebook presence now. Seems commercial and it seems like Facebook lost its novelty.
I used to spend a lot of time on facebook, but not much anymore. I agree facebook can be boring. I deactivated my account twice, but I eventually went back to facebook both times. That's what I like about facebook...they make it easy to deactivate your account, but easy to start using facebook again if you change your mind. You don't need to set up a new account, you just need to log in and your account will be back (not saying you should, I'm just explaining how it works).

The main reason I deactivated my account twice is because of drama. I got tired of the drama on facebook. But I eventually realized there are good things about facebook too, and I didn't want to miss out on the good things just because some people are immature losers. Basically, I didn't want to let the immature losers ruin facebook for me.

You're right about facebook losing it's novelty. Facebook now is nothing like the facebook I joined in 2007.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:23 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,605,253 times
Can anyone tell me how to disable the facial recognition feature?

I would disable my account; I rarely use it anymore; but I have some family members that I only stay in touch with on FB.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggi07 View Post

I would disable my account; I rarely use it anymore; but I have some family members that I only stay in touch with on FB.
What is the facial recognition feature? I'm not familiar with it.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:25 PM

Location: Looks like I'm getting out "Valley On The Sun" Arizona
190 posts, read 415,485 times
Is this where I can place a shameless plug for my business/FB account? Hahahahahaha

Old 06-09-2011, 08:31 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,834,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggi07 View Post

Go to settings and you can list who can see your pics or links and posts. You can block some too.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:40 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,542,513 times
I love it. It allows me to get updates on topics that interest me, from musicians I follow, to the schedule for our next city council meeting. I can share books I like, or videos, and get recipes from my favorite magazine -- all on my home page. Regardless of my family and friends busy schedules and distance between us, I can share in their lives, likes, and casual observations. I even reconnected with a family member that has been distant from us for decades. Yes, I love FB.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:02 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,221,768 times
Wouldn't trade it!

I can keep up with friends, family, high school reunions and lots of other things. Several of my kids friends are on my friends list as well.

The only problem I have is those damn Farmville updates from friends who play it. I can't block them! They drive me nucking futs!

Thank God I keep my friends list under 100 or i'd go insane, all because of Farmville...

Old 06-10-2011, 02:45 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,486,067 times
The facial recognition feature was rolled out by facebook a few days ago - I just heard about it on our TV news. It's set by default, so if you don't want it, you need to disable it.

http://howto.cnet.com/how-to-disable-facial-recognition-in-facebook/8301-11310_39-20070045-285.html (http://http//howto.cnet.com/how-to-disable-facial-recognition-in-facebook/8301-11310_39-20070045-285.html - broken link)

"Here's how it works: when you or a Facebook friend uploads a photo, Facebook uses facial-recognition software to match faces in that photo with previous photos on Facebook in which you've been tagged. Facebook groups similar photos together and suggests names for tagging purposes. Granted, Facebook isn't tagging photos itself, but it is certainly making the process easier for your friends to tag photos of you."

The article gives clear directions on how to disable the feature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships