Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which parent was more liberal for you: Mom or Dad
Mom 18 33.33%
Dad 14 25.93%
Neither 10 18.52%
Both 12 22.22%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 06:37 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times

Advertisements

In some families, its apparent that one of your parents were more liberal than the other. In your case, who was it. Mom, Dad, neither, or both.

In my family, my dad is far more liberal than mom. My dad does not care if I hang out with buddies late, date girls and do activities I like as long as I do not indulge in unhealthy behavior like drinking or smoking (WILL NEVER DO IT) or illegal stuff like drugs (AGAIN, WILL NEVER DO IT). He expects good grades in return earned through honest hard work (which I can do).

Mom on the other hand likes to tie my hands down and prevents me from leaving the house outside class hours. Always says "come back home sharp by 10:00 PM". God forbid it takes later, and I am interrogated like a fugitive nabbed by the NJ state police. Often, she does not trust my responses even though I am telling the truth. She does not want me to move out even if I get a job out of state. Yesterday I had a heated argument and fought with her to comply with my wants of moving out to find work. Finally, she agreed to be more realistic and provided me with consent. Me and dad nicknamed her "Mrs. Gestapo" .

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 01-10-2014 at 07:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 07:47 PM

526 posts, read 898,923 times
my father - but only he was tooo trusting

Old 01-10-2014, 08:09 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,795,404 times
Both of them were and are about the same in regards to this.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:14 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,202,346 times
But the time I came along, my parents had already been through everything with my three siblings and they were mellowed out (or maybe just tired!), so neither of them were uber-uptight. However, my father let the boys know that if they were disrespectful to me, "the earth is round and there are no corners to hide in."

Old 01-11-2014, 05:34 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
My dad was very easy going - with him I could do no wrong. He NEVER hit or spanked me - although I can't remember his ever coming to my defense when my mother constantly slapped me, hit me with a belt, grabbed me by the hair, etc. My dad knew I smoked (as a teenager) and I didn't get in trouble for it from him; my mother had a fit. When I'd bring a date in to meet my parents, my father would be polite and chat nicely with him. My mother acted cold and unfriendly and was often rude to any boy who called me on the phone. My father was always nice to my friends (he knew we liked to go out to clubs on the weekends) - my mother was nasty to those friends and referred to them as "tramps and bar flies". My father said if I got "under the weather" (had too much to drink) I should call him. That never happened. My father and my DH were always close. My mother was very nasty to him for years.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:50 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
My dad was very easy going - with him I could do no wrong. He NEVER hit or spanked me - although I can't remember his ever coming to my defense when my mother constantly slapped me, hit me with a belt, grabbed me by the hair, etc. My dad knew I smoked (as a teenager) and I didn't get in trouble for it from him; my mother had a fit. When I'd bring a date in to meet my parents, my father would be polite and chat nicely with him. My mother acted cold and unfriendly and was often rude to any boy who called me on the phone. My father was always nice to my friends (he knew we liked to go out to clubs on the weekends) - my mother was nasty to those friends and referred to them as "tramps and bar flies". My father said if I got "under the weather" (had too much to drink) I should call him. That never happened. My father and my DH were always close. My mother was very nasty to him for years.
That's an interesting story. Usually I keep hearing that whenever dad sees his daughter brings over her BF, then he gets quite defensive. Same holds true when mom sees you bring another girl over. One thing I don't like is the cattiness prevalent among a number of women. Once they hate you, they never forgive and drill you emotionally to the ground. I know mom loves me a lot and does not want me to go wrong, but developing trust within me is a must to progress onwards.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:28 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,186,791 times
Definitely my mother.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:45 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
I'm guessing my dad since he was never there.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:57 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
That's an interesting story. Usually I keep hearing that whenever dad sees his daughter brings over her BF, then he gets quite defensive. Same holds true when mom sees you bring another girl over. One thing I don't like is the cattiness prevalent among a number of women. Once they hate you, they never forgive and drill you emotionally to the ground. I know mom loves me a lot and does not want me to go wrong, but developing trust within me is a must to progress onwards.

My mother just wanted better for me, is my guess. Some of my "boy crazy friends" ended up getting pregnant and having to get married in their teens. Drinking, smoking, going out with boys, going to clubs, etc. in her eyes = trashy. I was always very selective in who I dated and was pretty much the "don't you touch me" Ice Princess, so she needn't have worried! As for my DH, I figure she thought I could have done "better". She's since pretty much come to accept him - after all, we've been married for almost 33 years.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:09 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
My parents were divorced when I was 2 and they had a split custody arrangement for a few years. My father was more liberal than my mother. He was not religious so he was more easygoing in regards to freedoms I had. Going to his house was a walk in the park compared to my mother. My mother was Super Christian and very overprotective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships