Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 02:12 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,275,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
This entire story is a little lame, and hard to swallow. Given the benefit of the doubt though, offer to take your GF out with your "new girlfriends."

That would go over like a fart in a whirlwind, I`m sure~
My GF knows about them and what they've said, it's not a big deal to her.

I was looking for general advice on how to have more success at starting friendships with girls. I have friends that are girls, but have known them for a while.

The problem is half the people on here have a cut and dry attitude and don't believe in resolution or change.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:16 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,592,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKSnook View Post

I was looking for general advice on how to have more success at starting friendships with girls. I have friends that are girls, but have known them for a while.

The problem is half the people on here have a cut and dry attitude and don't believe in resolution or change.
Then it should not have been such a surprise to your new girlfriends, as you would have told them about your GF, already..correct?

Old 06-16-2011, 02:18 PM

402 posts, read 1,403,554 times
Lightbulb take your girlfriend with you

Quote:
At my sister's bday party at a bar, met a couple of cool chicks who were friends. Talked very in depth with one, realized we both enjoyed the same "night life area", exchanged numbers and planned to meet up in that area.

A few weeks ago, met up with her and her group of girls at a bar, drank and socialized a bit, then went home.

Last week, met up with them again at a bar. Spent a longer time with them, drank and had a fun time.

Towards the end of the night, one of the girls asked me "what's your deal? Are you a playboy? Don't just use her..." etc etc, because she was drunk.

I have not made any intention of pursuing this girl, because... I have a girlfriend and only want to meet new friends! Somehow her and her friends think I am going for her. If any females have advice, much appreciated.
So, you made this clear? After an in depth conversation, she SHOULD have known about your girlfriend.

Quote:

I was looking for general advice on how to have more success at starting friendships with girls. . .
Maybe if you take your girlfriend with you next time, everyone will be clear about your motives and intentions.
Maybe she would also like to make some new friends.

As for your question: honesty = success in friendships.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:29 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,275,613 times
Yes I mentioned I had a GF. I find it offensive to say "I have a GF, I only want to be friends" because that assumes they want more" so I said things like my GF does this or like that.

I know it sounds shady like I'm trying to scout for more options... but this girl is not attractive. I am not attracted to her in the least bit.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:37 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,592,868 times
Quote:
Yes I mentioned I had a GF. I find it offensive to say "I have a GF, I only want to be friends" because that assumes they want more" so I said things like my GF does this or like that.
..ok..
Good Luck!!

Old 06-16-2011, 02:44 PM

77,798 posts, read 59,963,843 times
Quote:

I know it sounds shady like I'm trying to scout for more options... but this girl is not attractive. I am not attracted to her in the least bit.
Like in any male-female friendship the potential for a "relationship" can muck things up as all it takes is one party to not be on the same page so:

1) Befriend gays or lesbians.
2) Sisters\Brothers of good friends who know you or know enough about you that if you say you have a gf\bf that they will respect it and know you aren't going to cheat on them.
3) childhood or old school friends.
4) People that are way out of your league or age range.
5) People whom you meet through other collective interests. Like if you meet someone at a sky-diving club you can make friends with them and then it isn't wierd if you tell them about a party or a new band etc.

I had the same problem with a girl I knew in college. Somewhat attractive but 100% not my type. She was a bit puzzled that I never hit on her and even mentioned it once (and not in a way that meant that she wanted me to hit on her.). <shrug>

Old 06-16-2011, 02:49 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,286,973 times
I think if u have a girl friend and these girls are thinking u want more than just "friends w/ NO-benefit" status then maybe u should not hang out with them. And if u really want to hang out as just friends anyway why not invite your girlfriend along?

Old 06-16-2011, 02:53 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,589,352 times
Quote:

I think you should just go ahead and sleep with her out of pity. Girls like it when you pity them.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:17 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,205,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qymaen View Post
Really because I do. In fact most of my friends are girls.

I hate this idea that pop culture pushes about platonic friendships between different sexes as impossible. My best friend at school was female. Females can have personalities and be very personable.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:53 PM

12,999 posts, read 18,815,662 times
Wait until you are a senior citizen. Most of your friends will be girls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships