Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 12:29 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,108,380 times

Advertisements

^

Anyway, Lital If I were you I'd do as Thursday said.. I wouldnt' get a new phone but I'd only answer when convenient or cut them off if the call is not important and during work.

Have you tried letting your mum know how inconvenient it is to just have your plans changed on her whim?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 12:35 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,636,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Hmm... I just did quick look at your posting history... I suspect that you know why your family do not respect/take you seriously.

I guess if you really want your family to change that, you would need to prove that you deserve to be respected/taken seriously.

I am sorry to say this, but this is the way I see it.

What do you mean? Brian.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:09 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,188,467 times
OP, I learned how to give myself respect, then I was able to give other people respect which included how I communicated my needs and feelings to them, and then I was able to respect their own needs and feelings. This meant that I had to stop trying to please and prove my worthiness. This meant that I had to learn how communicate in a way that was not needy or accusatory. The end result, I learned how to let things go and start living my life.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:14 PM

538 posts, read 1,521,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Hmm... I just did quick look at your posting history... I suspect that you know why your family do not respect/take you seriously.

I guess if you really want your family to change that, you would need to prove that you deserve to be respected/taken seriously.

I am sorry to say this, but this is the way I see it.
Wow, I was all excited to post this exact same thing, but you beat me to it, word for word.

Old 06-04-2016, 02:29 AM

2 posts, read 3,020 times
I have been mistreated, disrespected, and lied on. My mother taught my siblings, and other family members to hate me. I just realized they will never love me or treat me like a sister. I have made peace with it, and have moved on.

I have also learned when you grow up in a house full of siblings that don't like you . It's very hard to trust people on the outside. I have been stabbed in the back and used by family , I don't know how to trust anyone.!

Old 06-04-2016, 02:40 AM

2 posts, read 3,020 times
I sometimes get very angry
with my mother. My mother treated me as if I was her enemy. I never knew what my mother felt like because I was not allowed to touch her. The day she passed on was the only day I got to hold her in my arms until she turned cold, and hard. That was the day I forgave her.

My siblings still treat me the way my mother treated me and have passed that dislike on to their children.

Old 06-04-2016, 10:31 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,035,584 times
Rent is sky-high in many cities, which is why you get roommates and make some sacrifices in order to be independent.

Old 12-30-2018, 06:39 AM

1 posts, read 775 times
Default Don’t Ever Prove Yourself “worthy”.

[quote=Brian;19712428]Hmm... I just did quick look at your posting history... I suspect that you know why your family do not respect/take you seriously.

I am sorry to say this, but this is the way I see it.[/QUOTE

Now since when does a family member have to “prove he/she is worthy of respect from another family member? NO! Please disregard this guy. Because you never have to allow yourself to be extorted for Love & respect from your family. If they do not give this freely and without strings, then let them go! You don’t need them!

Old 12-30-2018, 07:54 AM

6,294 posts, read 4,192,051 times
Then you need to change the script because you keep falling into the same pattern,response etc. you are not going to change them, so change yourself. Stop setting yourself up for failure.

If you’re working don’t answer the phone, if you do answerthe phone don’t answer their question “are you home” just state you will call back as you’re busy at that moment. If they want you to do something learn the art of saying NO. Don’t offer excuses or justifications.

You don’t need to talk about it since you know they will blow it off, so just quietly get on with your life and they can get on with theirs.

Old 12-30-2018, 08:09 AM

13,980 posts, read 25,942,367 times
Ummm folks? Check out the date of the original post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships