Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 12:04 PM

310 posts, read 1,357,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Why did she kick you out? If you don't know, guess? Did she tell you? Were you acting out? You must have an idea.

I would try to mend fences. Tell her your feelings were hurt and see what she says. Maybe you hurt her too. If so, apologize. It is your mother.
I don't know. It happened right after we moved from a crappy trailer into a nicer house her boyfriend bought in a private residential community. She was living the good life finally and I guess I didn't fit into her new 'perfect' lifestyle. That's how I see it, especially now as I look back. I had an attitude with her and we argued a lot about things, but what teenager doesn't argue and have an attitude with their parents. All my other friends acted the same way and their parents didn't tell them to get out - I'm sorry, put a note on the door telling them they are no longer welcome to live with the only person, their only parent, they've ever known their entire life, because that parent is "SICK" of dealing with them. That's what the note said. All my friends asked me the same thing - why. I don't know why. I would like to know, but I don't think I ever will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 12:06 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,660,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwifruit2 View Post
My mom did this to me. I got off of the bus, walked up to the door like I did every school day, only to find the door locked and a note explaining I was no longer welcome to live there. Shocked and upset I walked to a friend's house, called my bf, and he came and got me. His mom let me live at their house, took me in like her own. She was a single mother of 4 boys. My mom a single mother of 1 girl, me.

My mom is one of a kind. She is an animal FREAK. I love animals, but this woman is one of those that treats them like humans. My mom brought in a stray dog that she found on our road. This dog had apparently been abused because a whole litter of them were brought into the local humane society where my mom worked part time. So this explained it's temperament, because ever since we took it in, it randomly attacked me. It attacked me so badly one time that my mom's boyfriend had to convince my mom to take me to the hospital to see if I needed stitches, which I did. The whole way there my mom kept reiterating that I was NOT under any circumstances to tell them that OUR dog did this. She didn't want the dog to be put sleep I guess, idk. Seemed to me she cared a lot more for the dog than her own child. After that incident, she kept the dog on a leash when she was home, in a kennel when she was gone. He growled at me all the time. It attacked my cousin. Tore up her pants. Drug a rather heavy recliner across the living room trying to get to one of my friends. My friend never came back over again.

I could go on about things she has done and said to me that most normal people I'm sure would cringe at. It makes me cringe and I'm the one who deals with it.

I don't really understand why she just all of a sudden without warning decided to 'kick me out'. We lived in a crappy, run down trailer for 12 years. We moved in with her bf into this private residential community. It's a NICE place to live. The only explanation I can come up with is I just didn't fit into her new 'perfect' life. I don't know. I mean, I wasn't perfect, we had our problems, but looking back I think I was a normal teenager. Got me asking myself what did you do?

I've got kids of my own now and they are so precious to me. I just don't understand why she did that to me. I felt and still feel so unloved.

So I was wondering if I should try to make amends or just move on. What would you do? It's such a weird situation. I have talked to her since this happened and I try to talk to her about it all and how it makes me feel to see if she will feel even the slightest bit sorry. Not a chance. She acts like nothing ever happened. It's really frustrating. My bf thinks I should just forget her and move on with my life.
I agree with your boyfriend. I know you are hurting so much inside and that you don't understand what happened to you so many years later, but rest assured that your mother did you a favor by cutting ties. Stay away and don't talk to her ever again.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:14 PM

310 posts, read 1,357,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I agree with others. Move on. That chapter has closed and your mother initiated it. As you can see a lot of people out there have very dysfunctional families and parents. Counseling will help deal with your feelings.

I dont have a relationship with my father at all. He left when I was 11 yrs old. He had been having an affair and when his girlfriend got tired of waiting around she made a phone call to our home letting my mother know what was up. My dad moved out that night and not even giving us kids a glance as he walked out the door. The next day the lights, phone and gas were shut off. He got himself a new pad with his girlfriend and cut off all the utilities as if he just simply moved from one residence to another. It took my mother months to get everything back on as the utilities were always in my dad's name and she had to save up money for deposits on everything. My dad could have cared less. He hardly ever paid support and we struggled.

I watched my siblings struggle with their feeiings as I did but they kept trying to have a relationship with him. He was never father of the year by a long shot but the whole moving out and moving on as if we never existed was pretty bizarre. I tried talking to him a month or so after he left. He answered the phone all chipper and said, "hey baby, how's its going?" like all of it was so normal. I told him not so good and started to say I was hurt. He immediately hung up on me. We didn't speak again until 4 yrs later and it was something I initiated. By that time my brother and sister had been talking to him on a regular basis and had been to his new house. He had gotten married by this point. He didnt tell any of us. My siblings found out during one of their visits when my step mother produced a few wedding photos. My siblings started to establish a relationship with our step siblings as my dad pretty much made his new wife's kids his own. I started to feel left out I guess. So I called him up and said I would like to see him. It didnt feel right but I was caught up in the whole, this is my dad and I should do what is right sort of thing. It was so strange to see him at his new house, with his new life and family. I felt like I had just stepped into a stranger's house and in an essence I had. The visit was awkward and one thing that I immediately noticed is that the house was filled with photographs of my step siblings. It was painfully obvious that my dad had simply wiped us out of his life for good.

I see him about once a year now but only if I feel like it. When he got into his late 60's he seemed to put in an effort. After counseling and some inner peace I have accepted he will never be the father I need or want. I do not wish him harm but I am comfortable with indifference. If something should happen to him tomorrow I am at peace with my feelings. My siblings never went to counseling and get upset easily still by his cold actions. They get angry and want to rehash the past. I have no interest. I have moved on. You will too.

Wow. That's harsh. Just the fact that he just up and left like that, how cold. Well, I'm glad you have moved on and it sounds like you are stronger because of it. Gives me hope that I can move on too. Thank you for sharing your story.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:23 PM

2,412 posts, read 5,085,077 times
Quote:
My mom did this to me. I got off of the bus, walked up to the door like I did every school day, only to find the door locked and a note explaining I was no longer welcome to live there. Shocked and upset I walked to a friend's house, called my bf, and he came and got me. His mom let me live at their house, took me in like her own. She was a single mother of 4 boys. My mom a single mother of 1 girl, me.

My mom is one of a kind. She is an animal FREAK. I love animals, but this woman is one of those that treats them like humans. My mom brought in a stray dog that she found on our road. This dog had apparently been abused because a whole litter of them were brought into the local humane society where my mom worked part time. So this explained it's temperament, because ever since we took it in, it randomly attacked me. It attacked me so badly one time that my mom's boyfriend had to convince my mom to take me to the hospital to see if I needed stitches, which I did. The whole way there my mom kept reiterating that I was NOT under any circumstances to tell them that OUR dog did this. She didn't want the dog to be put sleep I guess, idk. Seemed to me she cared a lot more for the dog than her own child. After that incident, she kept the dog on a leash when she was home, in a kennel when she was gone. He growled at me all the time. It attacked my cousin. Tore up her pants. Drug a rather heavy recliner across the living room trying to get to one of my friends. My friend never came back over again.

I could go on about things she has done and said to me that most normal people I'm sure would cringe at. It makes me cringe and I'm the one who deals with it.

I don't really understand why she just all of a sudden without warning decided to 'kick me out'. We lived in a crappy, run down trailer for 12 years. We moved in with her bf into this private residential community. It's a NICE place to live. The only explanation I can come up with is I just didn't fit into her new 'perfect' life. I don't know. I mean, I wasn't perfect, we had our problems, but looking back I think I was a normal teenager. Got me asking myself what did you do?

I've got kids of my own now and they are so precious to me. I just don't understand why she did that to me. I felt and still feel so unloved.

So I was wondering if I should try to make amends or just move on. What would you do? It's such a weird situation. I have talked to her since this happened and I try to talk to her about it all and how it makes me feel to see if she will feel even the slightest bit sorry. Not a chance. She acts like nothing ever happened. It's really frustrating. My bf thinks I should just forget her and move on with my life.
You yourself have admitted you found a nice replacement mom. When I was 16 I looked up my no good father. He was remarried with 3 kids. Never a birthday card, never a call, nothing. Acting like I didn't exist. Ohh now that your here, what do you want? Deadbeat, more than $8000 in arrears in CS. At 20.00 a week! He lived about 9 miles from us.

I never had a father growing up. My immediate family is all messed up. But my extended family is awesome. I don't have a single father figure, I have a half dozen. I was good to people, friends. Some used it, some really appreciated it. Eventually I learned to stick with the winners. And sometimes, rarely, but sometimes when you stop trying? Some people shock you and start trying.

I'm big in recovery, AA. I work with many people whose biggest hurdle is letting go of bad family. I can't understand my father. I don't take it personally anymore because I know so many people who think he's a bastard. Dwelling on it kills you. Letting go frees you.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:42 PM

461 posts, read 556,329 times
Only make amends if you're feeling an emptiness in your life. If you're living fine now and don't need to bring her back into your life for any reason, don't.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:53 PM

483 posts, read 1,559,970 times
LOL, you guys are so gullible. Do you seriously believe this one-sided story? Hey OP, how about telling us your mom's side? You were probably a problem child for years and years, and she had enough of your crap.

I can't believe the people here believe someone would get kicked out of the house FOR NO REASON. It probably wasn't your first offense was it? I've known people who got kicked out and they deserved it

Old 08-04-2011, 12:58 PM

461 posts, read 556,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh u View Post
LOL, you guys are so gullible. Do you seriously believe this one-sided story? Hey OP, how about telling us your mom's side? You were probably a problem child for years and years, and she had enough of your crap.

I can't believe the people here believe someone would get kicked out of the house FOR NO REASON. It probably wasn't your first offense was it? I've known people who got kicked out and they deserved it
It's practically NEVER ok to turn your back on your kids. Anything short of the OP committing a murder on his sister will not convince me that it's alright he was kicked out by his mom.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:02 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,715,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh u View Post

Insanity exists. The fact that she did what she did with the dog shows a lack of sanity and caring for her family.

You can be a good person and still have someone treat you like dirt. Its ridiculous to think otherwise. That is what abusive parents do! Take out all their crap they haven't sorted on the kids. I don't think its too crazy you don't believe it because that type of nutty behavior is unbelievable. But it happens.

Charlie Manson's mother was a hooker that sold him as a baby for a bottle of beer. Just because you breed doesn't mean you are a good loving mother.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:00 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,305,026 times
Quote:
Boyfriend might be right.

But what is your relationship with your mother like today? You wrote that you've "talked", but is there any connection? Does it appear important to her that you have this limited display of mother-daughter relationship? Or does she remain pretty much detached?

You sound like you really love your mother, so obviously something was right in your lives together before she became mental with the animals (and, yes, I do consider this a borderline mental issue; in fact, she could have been charged with child endangerment).

Your future doesn't sound good. If she isn't changing where the animals are concerned then you cannot take her in or be very active in her life when she needs help. At some point she will be forced to sacrifice her animals (or die living in her house), and things would get ugly.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:59 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times
wow, sorry to hear about that. my best advice is to express to her very directly how you feel, and then take steps to get on with your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships