Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2012, 02:58 AM

663 posts, read 1,084,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste;
because you have to raise a kid for 18 years, a dog may die before that. And if u dont feel like keeping that dog anymore you can pretty much drop him off anywhere and be free of it, and animals arent as complex and needy as a human being?
I would trust someone who doesn't care for children and chooses to not have them over someone who actually feels the way you describe about dogs or any other animal. Please never have pets, or children for that matter. Just don't.

Pretty much drop him off anywhere and be free of it? Wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 03:07 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,340,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Ok some People may not be cut out for it. Or choose not to have extra expenses. Or like the life they live and choose to keep it that way.

Some people I met are very selfish and all about themselves. They couldn't possibly have time for another. It takes a lot of give and less take with a child. Many can't handle it.
But why would you call them selfish?
Is it any more selfish than having a mini-me?

Wouldn't you rather that people who didn't want kids for whatever reason, not have them?
Isn't it the conservative religious republican lobby that wants to force people to breed?

I don't want to handle kids, why denigrate us?

Quote:
Most don't know how to hold a baby. But if you have one you will learn. My ex held my son while sitting and when I asked him to come see the new crib. He asked me how do I stand up while holding him? I cracked up laughing.
We don't have kids so we don't need to/want to hold babies.
They don't appeal to us.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:08 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,116,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
I raised two daughters, but now that they are adults, I find that I do not like being around other peoples' babies and small children (I have no grandkids yet). I could cuddle and talk baby talk to my Muffy (kitty) all day. She's mommy's sweet little baby.
My kids are in school all day and I find myself talking to my dog and cats...

I even have a special voice for the dog...lol. It's not baby talk, more like Elmer Fudd.

I need to be commited!

Old 03-06-2012, 06:11 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,409,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Human babies that is. Just trying to understand.

Fact of being human, some humans relate to animals better. I have 3 kids who started out as babies and I love them all however, currently I shy away from babies and small children except my grand children. At my age and the number of years my children have been grown I find babies and small children too needy, whiny, ill behaved and disrespectful.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:50 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,964,873 times
Most people are responding to this question and talking about HAVING children vs. HAVING pets. But What about a person like me, who prefers animals over babies, just to visit or look at. In this case it's not about all the inconveniences of children vs. pets.

Example: My post earlier here about getting all excited when someone brings a puppy into the office, but not caring at all if someone brings a baby in. But the person bringing in the baby is inevitably surrounded by admirers all wanting to hold it and look at it. I just don't get the attraction. But when someone brings in a puppy, I'm dropping everything, running out, holding it, playing with it, etc.

Another example: I would NEVER want a calendar in my office with babies on it, like those babies-dressed-up-like-vegetables calendars that people seem to love. But I always have a calendar at home and at work with some type of cute animals on it.

When I was a little girl, other little girls all seemed to love babies. They all wanted to be mommies some day. Not me, even at around age 4, I was saying "I never want to have babies, just animals." Now I'm 42, and nothing has changed. I never even wanted to babysit, and I used to resent as a teenager that just because I was a girl, people just assume that I would want to babysit their kids. Nope, but I'll be happy to walk your dogs or take care of them when you're on vacation.

It's not just about not wanting to RAISE kids, I don't even care to look at or interact with other people's kids. (Except my nephew and nieces, who I love). But I love to see other people's pets, hold them, pet them, etc. I get something in the mail from a charity with a cute little pitiful baby on it, I don't feel like donating. but if a charity sends me something with sad little puppies or kittens, I'm shooting them a donation on paypal within 15 minutes!

Anyone else like me? I've always thought I'm missing a gene or something.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:54 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,040,505 times
Why do some people like kids but not puppies/dogs? I dunno. I don't care as long as they don't have them and/or do harm to them.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:12 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,537,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
We've got the opposite, 4 kids 1 dog and I can honestly say, one dog is enough for me. I don't know how you do it!

I was amazed at the amount of additional effort it took to keep this house clean since getting the dog.

My kids have been BEGGING for another doggie so he can have a friend...and I'm dead set against it! I know my limits.
2 of them are big dogs and 2 are the teacup chihuahuas my wife had before we got together. The tiny ones create zero mess. The big ones are collies, who tend to be dainty neat freaks (don't like to get wet or get paws dirty), but their shedding can be a challenge. Growing up, my little bro and I were wsy more messy/dirt-inducing tham our one dog (also collie).

Old 03-06-2012, 08:26 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,966,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Anyone else like me? I've always thought I'm missing a gene or something.
Just like me! I keep waiting for the "mothering gene" to kick in, but I have zero desire to love on babies. As a kid, people gave me dolls and I ignored them to instead play with my stuffed animals. In preschool, instead of playing "house", I wanted to play "zoo". To this day, in my mid-20's, I will melt into a puddle seeing a puppy or kitten, but shy away from my friends' babies. They're constantly asking if I want to hold them, and I'm constantly turning them down, though I will happily take their pup for a walk or let their cat curl up on my lap.

I think some people are just wired differently.

I'd be a great mother. I have the love, the time, the dedication--just not the desire. I put all those talents and skills to good use through my efforts teaching, tutoring, and mentoring my students at school and at church (I like kids once they are old enough to have actual conversations about real topics with you--10 and up are interesting to me). I further utilize them fostering rescue dogs, volunteering as a trainer for local rescues, and loving on my own rescue dog. I have no need for a baby in any part of my life.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:32 AM

770 posts, read 1,180,657 times
Quote:
Hmmm lemme get a crack at this answer:

The people that don't like babies or kids are:

A. A big kid themselves.
B. selfish
C .Rude
D. Don't realize that not all kids turned out like some of the brats you see.
E. Like animals because they don't talk back.
F. When the pets die not a big deal.
Struck a nerve? Someone must have an ugly baby

Old 03-06-2012, 09:04 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,372,418 times
You have to alter your entire life around another human baby. Not so with a dog. Some of us don't want that responsibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships