Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 09:42 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,859,981 times

Advertisements

Ever had a situation where a friend expressed interest and you have to turn them down? Did your relationship recover?

I briefly dated a friend when we were both in middle school. It lasted a few months. Shortly after we left high school he wrote a very beautiful letter and asked to try dating again for real.

I had to turn him down, primarily because our needs were very different. I'm not at all interested in romance and I need a great deal of 'me' time. He needed more interaction and well, I'm asexual and he isn't.

We're still friends, but not nearly as close as we used to be. Now I see him only occasionally for special events and he has a new 'best friend'.

Anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 11:30 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,965,966 times
Yeah, a asked me to go out with her and I declined and everything went on as usual. Looking back I probably should have gone just for fun, no reason to decline those kind of offers but I was younger and dumb. Not everything has to be a huge romantic ordeal and you can just go out and have a good time.

It makes me think of the movie "Yes Man", it's a cool idea and kind of a view to adopt in my eyes.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:37 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,200,844 times
Yes. A lot. Sometimes we remained friends. Sometimes we didn't. Sometimes we remained friends and then they got mad at me later. Sometimes we remained friends and then their future SO's didn't want them to see me anymore. Sometimes things were perfectly fine and dandy afterward.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:07 PM

331 posts, read 604,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
Ever had a situation where a friend expressed interest and you have to turn them down? Did your relationship recover?

I briefly dated a friend when we were both in middle school. It lasted a few months. Shortly after we left high school he wrote a very beautiful letter and asked to try dating again for real.

I had to turn him down, primarily because our needs were very different. I'm not at all interested in romance and I need a great deal of 'me' time. He needed more interaction and well, I'm asexual and he isn't.

We're still friends, but not nearly as close as we used to be. Now I see him only occasionally for special events and he has a new 'best friend'.

Anyone else?

^^I have had a similar situation as you. A guy I dated a few months in MS, then throughout HS became Besties...we grew in attraction for one another but neither one of us said anything about it for a couple years, we just continued to date other people and those "SO"s would usually feel a bit uncomfortable with our "friendship". We dated for about a year after HS, had BIG plans for forever..lol..didn't happen...we just strayed in different lifestyles, still a wonderful friend of mine, but there is a 'special love' between us...that has yet to be broken!! I love him to piecees and visa versa, we both just know we are NOT ment to go there again...ever!!

Old 05-25-2012, 12:13 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,209,486 times
Sexually? No for a relationship? Yes

Old 05-25-2012, 01:00 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,384,063 times
Years ago when I was in this production a woman that happened to be playing my mom on the stage wanted to go out with me. I was 22 at the time and she was in her early 30's. She saw the possibilities and I thought back then that I want to be with someone more my age. She had a couple kids that were 12 and 10 at the time. we were friends and all but I just couldn't see myself dating her. She was hot but so were two other girls that we were acting with.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:52 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,833,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Yeah, a asked me to go out with her and I declined and everything went on as usual. Looking back I probably should have gone just for fun, no reason to decline those kind of offers but I was younger and dumb. Not everything has to be a huge romantic ordeal and you can just go out and have a good time.

It makes me think of the movie "Yes Man", it's a cool idea and kind of a view to adopt in my eyes.

That happens to a lot of us when we are younger.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:24 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,209,779 times
Never turned down a "friend", been handed the "friend" card a number of times by past girls/women, who I made the stupid move of trying to cultivate a friendship for the express purpose of trying to date them. Stopped making that mistake after high school.

Anyhow, I still have retained a few of them as friends to this day, others ended in bitter fights, others I just finally got the hint. Its really a mixed bag with me.

Old 05-25-2012, 04:05 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,212,654 times
I'm in that situation and I'm the guy.
Go look at my topic.

Old 05-25-2012, 04:24 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,296,053 times
Yeah, about 35 years ago in college. He's a Facebook friend of mine now. Looking back, I should have given him a chance. But at the time I just wasn't feeling it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships