Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2012, 03:46 PM

460 posts, read 984,335 times

Advertisements

I hardly see a guy's night out save for a bachelor's party and occasional hangout. On the other hand, women have their close female friends and spend a lot of time together. I see girl's nights out fade away due to marriage and kids.

Explanations from personal experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 04:07 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,265,307 times
I know a lot of guys who go out for drinks with their guy friends, or golf, or go to a ball game together. I never thought of it as a male vs female thing.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:48 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,963,709 times
My d-i-l has a monthly girls' night out. All the husbands babysit, sometimes at one couple's house so they can drink beer and watch TV and the kids get to play together. I think it's a great idea!

Old 06-19-2012, 04:52 PM

224 posts, read 829,983 times
Really? Maybe it depends on the age group in question or part of country? I never see women doing things social with other women unless they are relatives. What I do see are always guys going out with their long time friends or co-workers boating, fishing, mountain biking, bowling, etc. As a woman I've always felt a little jealous that it seems like guys have it easy having friends to chill with. I've never had a group of female friends to do things with EVER. Oddly most of the people I do socialize with now are guys and its not romantic at all as they are usually married we just have the same hobby as in I've gone fishing with a guy and his son and gone walking with a guy I knew from school and his wife. I would love to have female companions. Guys are great don't get me wrong, but I have so many male friends that I would love to have female friends who I could talk about girl stuff with or get makeup and clothes tips from as I am honestly not really girly-girl like I would like to be and feel out of the loop on woman-stuff since I am never around women.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:25 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,660,256 times
My husband plays poker once a month with friends and they alternate hosting it. I get a girls night out then so I won't have to be there.

I also encourage the man to go to sports events with friends because I'm not a big basketball, baseball or football fan!

Old 06-19-2012, 08:17 PM

2,062 posts, read 1,964,955 times
I've been married almost 40 years and still have girl's nights out and girl's trips and get-togethers. One group of my friends is spread all over the country, so we alternate cities for a week together of gallery hopping, gourmet food, and shopping. Until back problems ensued, my husband enjoyed regular golf outings with his friends. He occasionally plays poker with a group, but they have playing less frequently of late.

When my son was young, I was in a baby-sitting co-op. Once a month, the mothers would have the husband's keep the kids, and we would party.

Like anything else it is an individual thing. A good marriage and a happy family should support friendships, not discourage them.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:08 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,416,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I know a lot of guys who go out for drinks with their guy friends, or golf, or go to a ball game together. I never thought of it as a male vs female thing.
I agree. Yes, I do things with my female friends without my fiance, but he does things without me with his guy friends. I don't really consider it "guy" and "girl" things. More that he is not going to want to go see the "Magic Mike" movie with me, but my female friends will. However, odds are good the guys he works with are more interested in cars than I ever will be. I think it less about maintaining a girls and guys night than it is making sure that just because you are part of a couple you don;t lose what you enjoy on your own!

Old 06-20-2012, 05:01 AM

71 posts, read 133,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Yeah, I know the same, maybe the personality problems.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:03 AM

42,038 posts, read 75,482,832 times
Men do the same thing; they call it "getting together to watch the game" or "playing golf".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships