Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 09:15 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,562,030 times

Advertisements

OK so here’s the deal. I moved from South Carolina to North Carolina for a better job it took me a while to find one but I did. I moved in with my best friend & her Bf. She is 29 & he is 25 going on 8. That is if I don't take his head off before then! So we all moved here two months ago my best friend had a job lined up already so one of us had a job. I was the second one to get one. The eight year old Bf isn't even looking for one..... no big surprise there. In between me finding one he (the Bf) wanted a dog we voted & we decided against it, we didn't need to extra expense. BTW my best friend as an eight year old son as well. Three weeks go by & surprise, surprise there is a new member of the house hold. I was against it but my friends Bf pouted & got his way once again. Again no surprise. Her son goes to stay with his grandparents when school is out for the summer. So they tend to travel on the weekends. To cut this story short I told them I don't plan to babysit the dog while they are gone & they need to look into going places they can take her too. Well all hell broke loose & now I am being treated like a leper.
Not that I care I miss the peace & quiet of being alone. For the record I am looking for my own place. When we got the puppy we almost got rid of her because she kept everyone awake at night shes a puppy & I tried to explain that it would pass. Which it did. The Bf said he would take ALL responsibility but he wanted to keep her. AGAIN he won out. So in the mean time what am I going to do about this? I didn't want the dog I LOVE dogs & want another one one day but knew this wasn't the right time. How can I bring this to an end? They truly don't understand how to raise let alone what a dog means. They have 2 cats which is nothing like having a dog.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 12:59 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,161,971 times
Nothing as you will be out voted. Focus on getting your own place.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Nothing as you will be out voted. Focus on getting your own place.

I don't dislike the dog what I do dislike is the idea that they REALLY thought that I would give up my weekends to stay home & take care of the dog while they went out. Even more so after her BF has sit on his butt all week not working!!!!

Old 06-14-2012, 07:19 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,313,415 times
So get rid of the puppy yourself since you are paying 1/2 the rent or get your own place. If your friend is that easily swayed by a pouting boyfriend you really need to find new friends anyway because she is under his complete control and that will not change until she grows up and realizes it and gets rid of him.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
So get rid of the puppy yourself since you are paying 1/2 the rent or get your own place. If your friend is that easily swayed by a pouting boyfriend you really need to find new friends anyway because she is under his complete control and that will not change until she grows up and realizes it and gets rid of him.

This is VERY true. She asked me & others what she should do with him yet when given the advice she has asked for it's ingored. I don't want to lose her as a friend but I do understand in order to keep her as a friend I have to move. I'm not getting rid of the puppy like like you & others have said I should move. I don't want to move because I like the place but I believe it's for the best.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:39 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,375,157 times
I agree that you need to move asap. However, I do believe that you are very concerned about this puppy. The bf doesn't seem to be concerned since it appears that he usually gets his way and you will take care of the dog. It also doesn't appear that he will be getting a job. So, make sure that you are satisfied with the care of the dog and then find a place. I think you will also need to make some new friends.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:09 AM

3,987 posts, read 5,021,459 times
Get a place of your own. Take that little dog with you, since you take care of it, it seems. Give your friend a "break". As in, take a break from her. She may come around, she may not. Meanwhile, you're having a great time in your own quiet place with your new furry companion. Problem solved! (Hopefully...)

Old 06-14-2012, 09:17 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,161,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I don't dislike the dog what I do dislike is the idea that they REALLY thought that I would give up my weekends to stay home & take care of the dog while they went out. Even more so after her BF has sit on his butt all week not working!!!!
Yep, I understand. That is why I said you will be outvoted either way. They didnt consult you in the decision in the first place. You are dealing with a tag team right now. I have friend going through a similar situation. She is often left to deal with dog on the weekends while her roommates (her daughter and daughter's boyfriend) go off on little trips. Last weekend they came home and surprised her by buying second dog, a new pup. My friend is livid. She is looking for her own place now and immediately when she said she was looking, they asked her who was going to take care of the dogs.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
Get a place of your own. Take that little dog with you, since you take care of it, it seems. Give your friend a "break". As in, take a break from her. She may come around, she may not. Meanwhile, you're having a great time in your own quiet place with your new furry companion. Problem solved! (Hopefully...)
Here is the problem with taking the dog while I do care for the dog like any other animal it would be hard getting a place with this breed of dog. It's a pitt/lab mix my ex-wife & I had trouble getting a apt with a choclate lab, so getting a place with a breed that is mixed with an agressive mix in it would be nearly impossible. I want another dog down the road seeing that the ex kept both dogs but this breed is not what I would pick. I had thought about this but I think it would be more trouble at this moment.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:58 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,118,838 times
Are you in a lease? If not I think getting your own place is definitely the solution to save your sanity and your friendship. You didn't want a dog, so for them to expect you to take care of the dog while they go out every weekend is really really not okay. They need to board the dog when they're gone or take it with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships