Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2012, 02:20 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,824,973 times

Advertisements

My parents and I never had a close relationship. My mom and I are two different people and my father and I have never talked about anything without it turning into a raging argument. My mom's always been a bit too immature for me and my father doesn't know how to communicate at all which gets both of us upset which may be why we aren't friendly to each other.

I am now 19. I haven't spoken to my parents in quite some time. I do want a good relationship with them but don't know how to go about it. They don't even tell me important things that go on in the family and don't pick up the phone when I call either (I have to call my younger sister if I even want to hear them in the background).

Anyone have any tips or pointers that may get me into a better relationship with my parents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 02:37 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times
all you can do is try but not much can go forward without your parents trying as well. you also need to take the relationship at face value, for what you know it to be and not hope/or expect things to be better. try not to have expectations of them and do the best you can. limit your time with them unless it is going well. not everyone has great parents you are ahead of the game in that you don't have illusions about how they are. try not to feel guilty for their lack of parenting, it's on them not you

Old 06-25-2012, 03:06 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
I'd try to consider your relationship from the perspective of each of your parents. Doing that might help identify whatever it is that they don't like, or reasons they try to avoid talking to you. It's worth a try.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:15 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,962,389 times
How was your childhood ... when you attended elementary school did they support you ... birthday parties ... PTA meetings, attend school conferences and open house to meet your teachers? When you were sick, sore throats, flu, stomach virus did they take care of you?

You are 19 and just entering or completing your teenage years. Did you graduate from high school and are you in college now? Are you living on your own and supporting yourself?

Just trying to get a handle on your situation with your parents. It may be up to you to sit down, no ranting and raving and have a cool, calm conversation with your father. Or sit both parents down and talk to them from your heart. Just get it all off your chest even if you have to ask them to kindly be quiet and listen to you.

Parents are not perfect. We do the best we can and usually ask our children to just give us their best. Sounds so easy doesn't it ... but it's not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships