Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 07:25 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,255,037 times

Advertisements

People who copy others
All my life, I've had problems with other people wanting to copy me. for instance, I had a girlfriend who, got her hair cut like me, bought a coat just like mine and even took my staple sayings, now, there is a girl at work who has copied my decorating ideas, (she came to my home for dinner with her huband and some other friends) she is always copying my ideas for decorating. But now my neighbors, copy...when I moved into my community, there was only one other house that hand a candle in the window....I put mine in every window, and now the entire community has them...then I had a privacy lattice built which I designed, so a neighbor walked up the the contractor and asked him to do the same thing to her house... and now, they are all coping my gardening ideas, specific patterns I use, and design? A friend of mine has told me this is the highest form of flattery, but not for me. I've always been the kind of person, who doesn't want what everyone else has. I love things that are way different, one of a kind, so pecular and antique iron stuff...it's to the point, when they come to visit, they are not visiting me, but looking to get more ideas....especially if they see I've gotten some deliverys. Why don't people come up with they're own original ideas, why do they have to copy me? It really is annoying? And it hurts....that they do exactly what I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 07:28 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,188,467 times
Well, you must be the cool person in town.

Perhaps these people are not complimenting you on your ideas?

Old 06-21-2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
Well, you must be the cool person in town.

Perhaps these people are not complimenting you on your ideas?
I'm not cool and I don't take this as a compliment, it really bothers me big time...
I mean I wouldn't care if it were a few things, but the moment I do something new in my garden, within the next two days, someone will copy it. And, they copy my design and the way I alternate colors and plants, right down to the same thing.

It really hurts and irritates me.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:52 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,012,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I'm not cool and I don't take this as a compliment, it really bothers me big time...
I mean I wouldn't care if it were a few things, but the moment I do something new in my garden, within the next two days, someone will copy it. And, they copy my design and the way I alternate colors and plants, right down to the same thing.

It really hurts and irritates me.

Not to be a jerk about it, but seriously -- are these methods YOURS and yours alone, forbidden to others?

I can understand coming up with something and being irritated if others take credit, but them just DOING it? Srsly?

Ask yourself -- does it matter? Stop worrying about them and just live YOUR life. It's not like them doing this is detracting from yours, is it?

Old 06-21-2012, 07:57 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,188,467 times
OP, there will always be people who are more creative than you are and people who are less creative than you are. Perhaps you live amongst the less creative people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
Not to be a jerk about it, but seriously -- are these methods YOURS and yours alone, forbidden to others?

I can understand coming up with something and being irritated if others take credit, but them just DOING it? Srsly?

Ask yourself -- does it matter? Stop worrying about them and just live YOUR life. It's not like them doing this is detracting from yours, is it?
Yeah, we have a saying...don't be envious, just do it too.

But I certainly do compliment the person if possible. Most of the time, I don't do it exactly.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:08 AM

19,697 posts, read 20,225,871 times
Because they're idiots and can't think for themselves. lol

Old 06-21-2012, 08:18 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,984,807 times
Simple.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:19 AM

11,788 posts, read 12,024,345 times
They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but I get where you're coming from. I have had that experience and it is frustrating when someone isn't capable of their own original thought so "borrows" yours. Most recently, I had a new coworker who started copying everything I did. While some of it was a learning curve, a lot of it was what felt like plagiarism to me, taking my creative ideas and using them as her own. She recently was moved to a different branch office and contacted another coworker for copies of certain documents I'd designed, but my coworker didn't forward them to her, told her to come up with her own.

It is flattery in a sense if other people like your ideas so much that they copy them or want them, but I completely understand your wanting to feel original and different from all the other neighbours too. No easy answer, but I sympathize.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but I get where you're coming from. I have had that experience and it is frustrating when someone isn't capable of their own original thought so "borrows" yours. Most recently, I had a new coworker who started copying everything I did. While some of it was a learning curve, a lot of it was what felt like plagiarism to me, taking my creative ideas and using them as her own. She recently was moved to a different branch office and contacted another coworker for copies of certain documents I'd designed, but my coworker didn't forward them to her, told her to come up with her own.

It is flattery in a sense if other people like your ideas so much that they copy them or want them, but I completely understand your wanting to feel original and different from all the other neighbours too. No easy answer, but I sympathize.
I mean, copy your hair style, and wear the exact same coat????? Come on? Really?
oh yeah, same here, I created a presentation years ago...and it was all original...got a new boss, and one day he came to me, and asked, would you make copies of my presentation, I created this. I looked at it and said, Lol, no you didn't, I created that years ago...he took the illustrations and the backgrounds and did put in his own text to fit the meeting, however????

As I said, and you see to be the only one who understands, a few friends of mine have suggest I take up designing....and I like things that no one else has...I don't copy other peoples gardens, designs, etc. I make up my own, and purchase special garden decor...and wala, soon after I do it, someone else copies it exactly??????? Yes, it bothers me, and hurts me....

It is not flattery to me, it's an excuse to copy someone else's idea...? People will actually come to me and ask me for suggestions for interior design. Or landscaping, etc. I'm not trying to brag, just saying, it's my design, and to have someone else copy it? It hurts....especially after you go to all that trouble.

I mean copy your hair style, wear the exact same coat? Come on, really?

Old 06-21-2012, 08:43 AM

11,788 posts, read 12,024,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I mean, copy your hair style, and wear the exact same coat????? Come on? Really?
oh yeah, same here, I created a presentation years ago...and it was all original...got a new boss, and one day he came to me, and asked, would you make copies of my presentation, I created this. I looked at it and said, Lol, no you didn't, I created that years ago...he took the illustrations and the backgrounds and did put in his own text to fit the meeting, however????

As I said, and you see to be the only one who understands, a few friends of mine have suggest I take up designing....and I like things that no one else has...I don't copy other peoples gardens, designs, etc. I make up my own, and purchase special garden decor...and wala, soon after I do it, someone else copies it exactly??????? Yes, it bothers me, and hurts me....

It is not flattery to me, it's an excuse to copy someone else's idea...? People will actually come to me and ask me for suggestions for interior design. Or landscaping, etc. I'm not trying to brag, just saying, it's my design, and to have someone else copy it? It hurts....especially after you go to all that trouble.

I mean copy your hair style, wear the exact same coat? Come on, really?
In high school I made a new friend who started buying all the same clothes I had, albums I listened to (yes, mid 80's still bought albums!). As a teen, it drove me crazy, especially when at her house, those same albums were sitting with the cellophane still on them. Looking back now, I still remember that feeling of annoyance, but as an adult, I look and think it must suck not to feel free to be yourself and rather try to be a copy of someone else.

With copying your design ideas, I wonder if copying is the only issue, or, if like me with my recent coworker, it's that you devoted time and effort, and used your creative juices to come up with ideas and someone else helps themselves with no effort required. It feels like stealing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships