Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 03:25 AM

132 posts, read 315,242 times

Advertisements

My brother likes to pop in on friends and relatives. He learned that from our father who never would call ahead. Both of them don't think it is rude and will just be driving down the street and realize they are close to a friends house and just stop and ring their door bell.

These are GOOD friends (close friends) but I still think that is rude especially after 8 PM. What do you think? Would you like your close friends to just ring your doorbell and expect to be entertained without any notice? Do you just pop in on friends without calling or emailing first? What would you think if someone who you considered a close friend did that to you?

Old 01-04-2013, 05:34 AM

223 posts, read 732,378 times
I make it a point to never just pop in at anyone's house without being invited or phoning/texting ahead. I'd hate it if people just stop in, I think it's rude. As for stopping after 8PM that's just crazy! I barely answer my phone after 8pm! With people's lives being so full of friends, work, family, kids activities, etc people should give advanced notice if they want to stop. If it becomes a habit I make it a point to answer the door in a bathrobe appearing all flustered and say "Gee...I was kinda busy...I really wished you'd phoned first!". That normally does the trick!

Old 01-04-2013, 06:12 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,438,888 times
I don't even answer my door unless I am expecting someone. I would consider it extremely rude to show up without calling and asking for permission first! The person you are visiting could be in the shower, sick, entertaining, or a host of other things.

People from an older generation do think about it differently. My grandmother ALWAYS keeps her house in a state for entertaining. Everything is always spotless, my grandparents are always properly dressed (no running around the house in sweatpants!) and there are always cold drinks and snacks available. On the other hand, when I invite people over, I have to do a mad run through the house cleaning up and letting my roommates know that we will have guests. Different lifestyles, I guess.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:56 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,370,438 times
No.
I don't like to catch people unawares, nor do I wish to be intruded upon with no warning.
24 hrs. notice is required (before an in-person visit), if not more, and both parties have to agree/consent.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:17 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
I'm old enough to remember when it was common to do that, but I'd never do it these days.

It wasn't that long ago that not everyone had a telephone so there really wasn't any way to give someone advance notice. But today it seems rude.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:16 AM

1,651 posts, read 2,783,390 times
Definitely is considered rude in this day and age of cell phones and instant communication. However I did grow up in a rural community where it was not considered rude at all to stop in on someone, and I can still see where it'd be ok in that context but even there - most people call now.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:29 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,216,270 times
Not ever, it's rude in this day and age.... Times have changed in the last 40 years. The only time I view this as okay is if a neighbor knocks on my door for something specific.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:40 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,793,169 times
no way. And I don't want anyone popping in on me either.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:50 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
Oh yeh, I very seldom (if ever) call first, though I'd never "pop in" at a late hour...no way. Phonings a drag, and I'm not into making appointments to visit my friends...I imagine they all know this about me, yet I'm always welcomed warmly into their home. I don't really expect them to entertain me though, I'd rather entertain them, and if any of my friends would show up unannounced to my home, they would be welcomed with open arms for this pleasant surprise.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:44 AM

11,796 posts, read 12,030,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
No.
I don't like to catch people unawares, nor do I wish to be intruded upon with no warning.
24 hrs. notice is required (before an in-person visit), if not more, and both parties have to agree/consent.
I agree with your first part, but I'm more flexible about notice.

My parents had friends who always dropped by unannounced, because they were the type of people who liked unexpected guests. My parents...were not. Even knowing these people welcomed unexpected visitors, there is no way my parents would ever just show up. This couple once did their round of visits on Christmas Day and showed up at our house right in the middle of Christmas dinner! Who barges in on someone else's family celebration unnannounced? It's not like they didn't realize it was Christmas.

Some people like surprises, some people don't. Some people think it's intrusive, some don't. But whatever your preference, don't assume or impose it on others. A phone call or text in advance never killed anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships