Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2012, 10:36 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,324,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
yes it is a waste of time. i'm not knocking people that have a social life, i'm knocking the way people socialize and all the crap they put others through in order to see if they qualify as 'socially acceptable.' it's nothing but a joke.
agreed, pretty much

Last edited by Clintone; 07-02-2012 at 11:02 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 10:42 AM

28,896 posts, read 53,932,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
There are so many productive ways we could all be spending our time: reading great books, learning a musical instrument, advancing our career, traveling to a new country, learning a new language, developing an art collection, raising a family, starting a side business, and on and on.

So, do you think that having friends and developing a social circle is worth more than these things? What if you just don't have time?
Are you serious? You can't possibly be.

I read great books. I live an active intellectual life filled with curiosity. I travel. I own a business. I've written two novels. I play a musical instrument. I know how to sail. I am raising three children. By any stretch of the imagination, I live a complete life. But my friends complete my life in a way that books, boats, and other pursuits cannot possibly do.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:34 PM

3,011 posts, read 6,279,484 times
Quote:
There are so many productive ways we could all be spending our time: reading great books, learning a musical instrument, advancing our career, traveling to a new country, learning a new language, developing an art collection, raising a family, starting a side business, and on and on.

So, do you think that having friends and developing a social circle is worth more than these things? What if you just don't have time?
Without a doubt. I couldn't imagine my life without friends and family, even though it can be stressful at times. Incidentally, the above things you mentioned would not be enjoyable or next to impossible without support from family and friends. Those things are great, but without people to share them with, what's the point?

Old 07-02-2012, 03:37 PM

27,220 posts, read 28,295,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Are you serious? You can't possibly be.

I read great books. I live an active intellectual life filled with curiosity. I travel. I own a business. I've written two novels. I play a musical instrument. I know how to sail. I am raising three children. By any stretch of the imagination, I live a complete life. But my friends complete my life in a way that books, boats, and other pursuits cannot possibly do.
Well, it's nice to know you can make time for friends with such a busy life. Somehow, I doubt the vast majority of people would be able to pull it off if they put that much time and energy into other pursuits.

I guess the issue is how well can one develop quality friendships under such circumstances?

Old 07-02-2012, 03:54 PM

28,896 posts, read 53,932,532 times
Quote:
Well, it's nice to know you can make time for friends with such a busy life. Somehow, I doubt the vast majority of people would be able to pull it off if they put that much time and energy into other pursuits.

I guess the issue is how well can one develop quality friendships under such circumstances?
Well, have an imagination to begin with.

However, the best single method I can recommend is to purchase a 12-gauge shotgun and blow a hole in your television.

That's the thing. People, even professionals, have scads of free time. The problem comes when they come home and flip on the idiot box every night and stare at it for 4-6 hours. There's your problem right there.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:41 PM

8,012 posts, read 8,166,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
This is my feeling about friends. I never had "close" friends and never missed having them.
Now, my casual friends, and there were many, are either dead, in nursing homes or so fragile that they really don't have a life. But I still enjoy the things that I have always enjoyed.....alone!

So while friends are nice, you need to learn to be friends with your self FIRST. Enjoy being alone with just YOU for company. You may be one of those, such as me, that finds circumstances have changed.
I had to respond to this because an event happened today that made me think of this subject. You are absolutely right. The key is for people to be comfortable in their own skin regardless of whether they desire a social life or not. I've met a lot of good people but I've never had any close friends, I've just never liked intimacy and sharing my deepest feelings with others.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:40 PM

23 posts, read 29,857 times
hello everyone <being friendly and social is a not a waste OF TIME . It gives a lot of help in making your personality strong , On the other hand it gives you bad influence if you do some annoying activities , who destruct others in a community for example being noisy in the middle of the NIGHT etc....or drinking alcoholic drinks till day time ......THATS A PROBLEM.......okey have a nice and great day everybody.................................EDZZZ... ..CUTE.....

Old 07-02-2012, 10:52 PM

16,401 posts, read 30,805,450 times
Sounds like a waste of a life to me. I think everything has it's place, and there's no reason to leave one thing or the other out. What's the point in traveling if you don't socialize when you're out? What kind of things are you going to do around the city if you don't socialize and have friends? Get a hobby? Cool.. but if you don't have anyone to do it with it seems kind of boring. It's great meeting people who share common interests in things. A bigger social circle allows you to learn new things, have more opportunities in life and have an all around better time.

That's just my opinion though. I am more than happy being alone, don't get me wrong... but if I didn't have friends I think I'd end up pretty dang depressed.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:08 PM

37,032 posts, read 41,953,569 times
Everyone needs some social interaction or they will be to much in their own head and become unbalanced and weird, even if they don't think they are. I've always been a bit of a loner, meaning I need more alone time than most, but even I recognize the benefits of socialization.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:21 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,151,650 times
I personally enjoy my alone time, probably a lot more than most people. However, for the longest time, I'd try to be social for the sake of being social. I went out a lot in college because I felt the pressure to go out. I am now comfortable with a small circle of intimate friends who also understand my personality when I need my "me" time on the weekends.

Find your balance and stick to it. Some people can't be alone for a day, others (like myself), need their alone time to recharge and read books, write in a journal, or just plain enjoy the company of your thoughts.

To each their own!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships