Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2012, 03:57 AM

52,334 posts, read 52,791,864 times

Advertisements

I periodically have these random memories of a certain time in my life. It's sorta weird but I'll try and explain it.

I have these memories of being around 9 or 10 and me visiting a friend of my Dads. I would go to his house and visit this old man... he was probably around 80 or so... a real old guy... his health was pretty bad I remember him being in bed.. me sitting by his beside.. him with an oxygen mask, he seemed like a real nice old guy.. a grandfather figure, perhaps maybe that was why my dad had me visit this guy.

I remember sitting by his bedside, talking, and how his wife was always seemed so nice and offered me food and seemed to be the perfect host, matter of fact they both seemed like real nice people....

I remember this old man seems smart... worldly.... very intelligent... at least as far as a 10 yr old can tell. He would tell me stories... I used to actually like to be around him.. It reminded my of Tuesdays with Morry... LOL...

I, as a kid, didn't see anything strange about this setup.. but as an adult and based on some of the things I learned as an adult... I have some second thoughts....

I think this old guy may have been an aging mobster....... IDK..... my dad told me stories of him doing certain things as a kid... things to survive... he had a rough live... had 6 siblings... his dad was a drunk... there wasn't much money.....blah blah blah..... I think maybe my dad may have been some low level guy in the mafia............ and this old man may have been some kind of made man that my dad may have worked for....... LOL...

IDK.. maybe I've read too much... maybe I've got the memories... maybe I've watched too many goodfellas movies...

LOL

IDK..... the funny thing is.... I think I may be right.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 04:08 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,121,778 times
Interesting...

Old 07-08-2012, 02:10 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,978,737 times
If the memories are bothering you ... ask your dad or mom about the visits. Or a close relative. I was younger than 9 or 10 and my aunt would pick me up ... take me to a house in our town and people would be sitting on the front porch.

She would have me sing "Jesus Loves Me" to the group while she went inside the home with a couple of the people. They would give me some candy after my little solo. As a kid ... the candy was the most important thing to me and all these people making a 'to do' over me. LOL

My dad and I just happen to be riding down the same street one day where the house was located and I told him I had been there before and my singing along with the candy. Needless to say, all hell broke loose when my dad got in touch with my aunt (not in front of me.) I was still uninformed to what was taking place. No more trips to the little house for me with my aunt. Over the years I forgot about it except I never forgot where that house was located and the 'nice people.'

When I was 18 my aunt died from an overdose ... I loved that woman she was always good to me but I was never allowed to get in her car or go anywhere with her anymore. I asked my dad how long the drug abuse and addiction had been going on ... he reminded me of the little house where I would sing and my aunt would go inside to buy her dope.

Just talk to some of your relatives or your parents ... as a Tony Soprano fan and my favorite movie is The Godfather you may have been consorting with the mob. LOL

Old 07-09-2012, 09:20 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,303,939 times
I wouldn't bother trying to second guess what was for you (when you were young) a pleasant experience....though it's all very interesting Chowhound..and your curiosity is definately piqued.....is your dad still around...maybe he will/can confirm what you suspect?

Old 07-09-2012, 09:28 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,191,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I periodically have these random memories of a certain time in my life. It's sorta weird but I'll try and explain it.

I have these memories of being around 9 or 10 and me visiting a friend of my Dads. I would go to his house and visit this old man... he was probably around 80 or so... a real old guy... his health was pretty bad I remember him being in bed.. me sitting by his beside.. him with an oxygen mask, he seemed like a real nice old guy.. a grandfather figure, perhaps maybe that was why my dad had me visit this guy.

I remember sitting by his bedside, talking, and how his wife was always seemed so nice and offered me food and seemed to be the perfect host, matter of fact they both seemed like real nice people....

I remember this old man seems smart... worldly.... very intelligent... at least as far as a 10 yr old can tell. He would tell me stories... I used to actually like to be around him.. It reminded my of Tuesdays with Morry... LOL...

I, as a kid, didn't see anything strange about this setup.. but as an adult and based on some of the things I learned as an adult... I have some second thoughts....

I think this old guy may have been an aging mobster....... IDK..... my dad told me stories of him doing certain things as a kid... things to survive... he had a rough live... had 6 siblings... his dad was a drunk... there wasn't much money.....blah blah blah..... I think maybe my dad may have been some low level guy in the mafia............ and this old man may have been some kind of made man that my dad may have worked for....... LOL...

IDK.. maybe I've read too much... maybe I've got the memories... maybe I've watched too many goodfellas movies...

LOL

IDK..... the funny thing is.... I think I may be right.........

Trust me....some things in life, you're better off not knowing.
I am speaking from personal experience; leave the past in the past & keep moving forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships