Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 08:26 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,895,580 times

Advertisements

So here's the issue. I have very good parents who I love to death. We have a great relationship, parents married for 27 years, great family etc. The thing is, though, is that I've always been a bit of a free spirit, always looking for adventure and something new. I've definitely matured and settled down alot in my 20s, but I'm still a bit of an adventurist and I'm a big "new" seeker.

So I work as a CPA for a very very solid company that's located around the world and have been doing so for 2 years while living in the DC area. Well a lot of my friends are moving out of DC as its a transient place so maybe that has some influence, but at the same time I'm really looking to experience new things.

Anyway, I visited the Pacific NW for a week and fell in love with the area, though I admit I'm not an expert on it. That said a position came up that I applied for in Oregon with the same company, with the same salary and benefits, doing the same job, an interoffice transfer, and I'd like to take a "dive." It's not planned out, I admit, but I WOULD have a job out there and wont move unless its solidified and the transfer goes through.

My parents are super upset though and think it's a disaster because I don't know anyone, don't know anything about the area, and Im being impulsive. But at 25 years old, that's all part of the adventure and I want to experience another part of America before I settle down. This IS impulsive, but that's OK. I feel like now is the time to do something a little crazy. Keep in mind I'd have a great job with the same company, and a company that will help me relocate.

Am I really being that risky? How can I convince them that this isn't a bad move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 06:50 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,952,110 times
Well, not sure you can convince them. You just have to be happy with your decision. And you are right - NOW is the time to do this sort of thing. I don't feel that moving when you already have a secure job is really being impulsive.

You are young, not tied down to anything - as a parent I'd say do it.

You have to get to the point where you live your life for YOU. There are such things as airplanes - you can visit, they can visit. Skype, phones, etc - it's not like you are going to the middle of nowhere or something.

My son is going into his Freshmen year of college next month. I HOPE he travels the world, maybe even gets a job over seas, etc. someday before he settles down.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:57 AM

819 posts, read 3,207,460 times
As a parent, I would be upset too. If my son told me he was moving across the country, I would be devestated. But as a person who has never travelled and has always regretted it, I say do it.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:14 AM

3,984 posts, read 5,013,418 times
I'm not a parent but I didn't satisfy my wanderlust when I was 25 and I do wish I'd been a little more courageous. With a set job, with an established company, I see absolutely NO REASON why you shouldn't take the leap.

Your folks can come visit any time they want. You'll probably talk MORE than you do now - you'll want to share all your excitement with them and they'll be super curious (and worried) about what you're up to. I say go for it. You sound like you've thought things through - this should please your parents. Good luck!!

Old 07-27-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdotAllen View Post
As a parent, I would be upset too. If my son told me he was moving across the country, I would be devestated. But as a person who has never travelled and has always regretted it, I say do it.
That's the thing. My biggest fear isn't failure to find friends, not enjoying my job, not having fun, and not liking the area, it's regret of not actually trying something new, and this sort of potential future regret it what's pushing me to seek inter office transfer.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
I'm not a parent but I didn't satisfy my wanderlust when I was 25 and I do wish I'd been a little more courageous. With a set job, with an established company, I see absolutely NO REASON why you shouldn't take the leap!
Right. Their other concern is that my company isn't initiating the transfer. I work for a big company and in order to further your career, go abroad, and be unique, YOU have to stand up and ask for it. No one will do it for you: you have to stand apart. So they think it's weird.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:26 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,469,638 times
Go for it. Your parents will come to terms with it eventually and they won't ever love you any less for it.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:27 AM

How old are your parents, if you don't mind answering? I wonder if they just never had the opportunity to do what you're doing. I don't think it's weird at all...truly. And if you want to know the truth, if I worked for a company that would allow a transfer to the PNW, I'D BE THERE QUICKER THAN YOU CAN SAY RAIN. No joke.

I think you have a great attitude...really. The fact that you're willing to go for it tells me you'll have no trouble making friends and having a fulfilling experience.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
How old are your parents, if you don't mind answering? I wonder if they just never had the opportunity to do what you're doing. I don't think it's weird at all...truly. And if you want to know the truth, if I worked for a company that would allow a transfer to the PNW, I'D BE THERE QUICKER THAN YOU CAN SAY RAIN. No joke.

I think you have a great attitude...really. The fact that you're willing to go for it tells me you'll have no trouble making friends and having a fulfilling experience.
My parents are both 54 years old. Never been out of the country or lived in a different city than Richmond, VA their entire lives, save for college. My mom has never been out of the country, save for the Caribbean. It's interesting because they both make 6 figures and could easily afford an annual trip to someplace in Europe* Edit: they're going to europe in September. Still, first time in 54 years for my mom.

I already have a social plan lined up. First of all, my new office is a bit smaller (~200) than the one in DC (~3000) and I will socialize there (my company is very social, you spend 40-50 hours a week with these people, might as well get to likem), secondly, I'm going to IMMEDIATELY seek out the Virginia Tech alumni chapter there and get involved. For me, home is never more than a Virginia Tech alumni chapter away

Old 07-27-2012, 09:14 AM

Ah, you are so well adjusted...I just wouldn't worry anymore. You can flatter your parents into submission!! "Mom, Dad, if you weren't such great parents, I'd never have the strength to carry out my dreams!!"

Well, they aren't that old (at all!) and maybe with them travelling in the future, they'll open up some about your decision. And with all that money they make, there's no excuse for them not to visit you. You'll have new memories with them. Perhaps just include them in what you're doing and they won't feel like they're losing their baby!

GO FOR IT!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships