Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 04:58 AM

1,058 posts, read 681,533 times

Advertisements

I have a friend that I get together with occasionally, we get along great except from the switchy mood swings. Like the devil just comes out. At first, I ignored it and just figured she was having a bad day. But then it would get more frequent, like she would get a serious attitude if you asked her a question, but then if she was drinking then she was your best friend. I have come to the conclusion that she is most likeable when she is drinking. What is up with this chick? I can't handle the inconsistency. It is so hard to find a friend that is not moody!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2018, 06:36 AM

16,448 posts, read 12,642,814 times
It could be bipolar disorder.

Old 09-20-2018, 06:29 PM

6,212 posts, read 4,623,875 times
She could be an alcoholic.

Old 09-21-2018, 02:02 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,335,567 times
Yes choose one from above. Or she could just be naturally difficult.

Do you really want a friend like this?

Whatever you do, don’t share personal info with her.

Old 09-22-2018, 03:50 PM

10,520 posts, read 7,126,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilly9244 View Post
I have a friend that I get together with occasionally, we get along great except from the switchy mood swings. Like the devil just comes out. At first, I ignored it and just figured she was having a bad day. But then it would get more frequent, like she would get a serious attitude if you asked her a question, but then if she was drinking then she was your best friend. I have come to the conclusion that she is most likeable when she is drinking. What is up with this chick? I can't handle the inconsistency. It is so hard to find a friend that is not moody!

The first time she did it to you, it was her fault. There are people in the world who think having a outburst is a tool for living, a legitimate way to interact with people.

The second time she did it to you, and every time after that, it was your fault. Not because I'm blaming the victim, but because people do what they can get away with. You evidently allowed her first outburst to go unchecked.

I know someone like that. A quick, "Whoa, I don't put up with that," out of me pretty much nipped that kind of crap in the bud. That being said, a guy who goes on people at the drop of the hat isn't someone I want as a close friend to begin with.

Old 09-22-2018, 04:40 PM

19,981 posts, read 30,375,060 times
there's a name for that .. ESTROGEN ... hold up a pink cross!!

when she goes off the deep end...…. tell her to calm down you have IBS and need to leave..

Old 09-22-2018, 04:42 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,335,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
there's a name for that .. ESTROGEN ... hold up a pink cross!!

when she goes off the deep end...…. tell her to calm down you have IBS and need to leave..
On the other hand testosterone NEVER gets people into trouble, right?

Good grief, please find the 21st Century and enter it.

Old 09-22-2018, 06:54 PM

7,079 posts, read 6,369,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
It could be bipolar disorder.
My son acted just like that and was eventually diagnosed as bipolar. He lost a lot of friends prior to being diagnosed. He drove them all away by his behavior.

This is a tough one. What she is doing is self medicating which my son also did.

I don't know the answer to give you. It wasn't until my son tried to commit suicide and was in the hospital that he was properly diagnosed. Once he was put on medication it was like night and day.

I doubt your talking to her about it would help. This is something only a doctor could diagnose and she would have to be willing to see one before she could be helped.

Old 09-23-2018, 02:02 PM

1,058 posts, read 681,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
The first time she did it to you, it was her fault. There are people in the world who think having a outburst is a tool for living, a legitimate way to interact with people.

The second time she did it to you, and every time after that, it was your fault. Not because I'm blaming the victim, but because people do what they can get away with. You evidently allowed her first outburst to go unchecked.

I know someone like that. A quick, "Whoa, I don't put up with that," out of me pretty much nipped that kind of crap in the bud. That being said, a guy who goes on people at the drop of the hat isn't someone I want as a close friend to begin with.
It seems like I just draw/connect with these types of women and then I make excuses for their behavior. I don't know what it is. All I do know, is I have been feeling very betrayed by people lately. I feel like I am a better friend than people are to me. It just makes me want to close myself in and not talk to anybody.

Old 09-26-2018, 06:33 PM

15,671 posts, read 15,821,083 times
Find a friend who doesn't drink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships