Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 11:02 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,369,263 times

Advertisements

I've only been on Facebook since the beginning of the year, so I'm still a newbie. I have found most of my college, childhood and "geographic relocation" friends.

This morning, I got a friend request. It was from a young lady with a very normal name. She had 150 friends, dispersed across age groups, and they appeared to hail mostly from the Western U.S. There was no location, school or college information, so I couldn't determine if I knew her parents. She was attractive and there were about 5 to 10 profile pictures in swim apparel which weren't tacky at all, but revealed an attractive young lady. Still, (a) she could be my daughter, (b) I couldn't see any linkage to my own friends from the past, so I declined the friend request.

My profile has some basic information such as schools and has a lot of travel pictures. My interests in music, movies, etc. is blocked off. Wall posts tend to be travel stuff, Memory Lane stuff, and some current events.

How the heck does someone you don't even know land on your profile? What is their objective? I didn't even find it flattering. I found it WEIRD.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 11:20 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,924 times
Perhaps you posted or 'liked' something and she saw it. decline. i've had many of these and i just ignore them.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:58 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,054,582 times
I don't accept any request from a person I don't know. It could be a potential employer trying to snoop, or maybe the person hit the "send friend request" on accident. Or she could be your daughter????

Old 08-12-2012, 08:10 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,850 times
Could be a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend...............

She could just be someone who has a similar interest of yours and saw your name and just hit "friend". I notice with people on FB that they have hundreds of "friends' when, in reality, they may only actually know 15 or 20 of those people.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:14 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,425,964 times
Yes, if you don't know this person at all, even from the common friend list, don't accept a Friend Request blindly on FB, period. There could be a few exceptions, unless you don't mind having lots of casual FB friends. I don't recommend doing it.

The profile with a pretty girl's picture can be fake, never know. There are lots of fake FB accounts being used for all kinds of reasons, from spamming to spying to someone just being nosy about you. It is always good to be cautious and guarded if you are somewhat new to social media.

Last edited by berkeleylake; 08-12-2012 at 08:50 AM..

Old 08-12-2012, 08:41 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,771,079 times
When I get a friends request from someone I don't know in real life, I send them a PM (message) on Facebook, saying something like "Hi, thanks for the friends request! I'm afraid I have a terrible memory and don't remember you, so sorry. Where do we know eachother from, or why do you want to be friends?"

Most of the time it is someone I know vaguely (say from volunteering, or neighbours etc), and I'll friend them. Often, I get no reply, and then I deny and block a few days later.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:10 AM

442 posts, read 615,290 times
I've had a few of these....one happened when I had only been on FB a day or two, and only had a few friends.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:56 AM

19,711 posts, read 20,240,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I've only been on Facebook since the beginning of the year, so I'm still a newbie. I have found most of my college, childhood and "geographic relocation" friends.

This morning, I got a friend request. It was from a young lady with a very normal name. She had 150 friends, dispersed across age groups, and they appeared to hail mostly from the Western U.S. There was no location, school or college information, so I couldn't determine if I knew her parents. She was attractive and there were about 5 to 10 profile pictures in swim apparel which weren't tacky at all, but revealed an attractive young lady. Still, (a) she could be my daughter, (b) I couldn't see any linkage to my own friends from the past, so I declined the friend request.

My profile has some basic information such as schools and has a lot of travel pictures. My interests in music, movies, etc. is blocked off. Wall posts tend to be travel stuff, Memory Lane stuff, and some current events.

How the heck does someone you don't even know land on your profile? What is their objective? I didn't even find it flattering. I found it WEIRD.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?
Spambots. Some of those profiles are laced w/ viruses, so be careful what you click on.

I set my friend requests to 'friends of friends' only.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:00 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,200,884 times
83 Million Facebook Accounts Are Fake

That right there is reason enough not to accept the request.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:40 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,369,263 times
Oh, I declined. No doubt about that. I have to know the person. And, if I "vaguely" see a linkage to someone I know, I expect a message attached to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships