Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 11:27 AM

13 posts, read 13,240 times

Advertisements

do drivers blow stop signs and then looked shocked that someone was standing there trying to cross? Or they are waiting to turn onto a busy street and only look in the direction of the traffic that affects them and happen to look your way and act shocked?

It seems to me to be the highest form of self-centeredness known to man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 11:30 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,834,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by child of jupiter View Post
do drivers blow stop signs and then looked shocked that someone was standing there trying to cross? Or they are waiting to turn onto a busy street and only look in the direction of the traffic that affects them and happen to look your way and act shocked?

It seems to me to be the highest form of self-centeredness known to man.
It sounds less like self-centeredness and more like inattentive driving to me.

The shocked look on their face could actually just be horror at realizing the mistake they just made.

No need to take this personally. Just be grateful you weren't hurt by someone else's careless mistake.

Old 09-07-2013, 11:32 AM

99 posts, read 149,352 times
drivers are distracted, seems as if they are always on the phone these days.

Roaming, thanks to Tapatalk

Old 09-07-2013, 11:34 AM

13 posts, read 13,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
It sounds less like self-centeredness and more like inattentive driving to me.

The shocked look on their face could actually just be horror at realizing the mistake they just made.

No need to take this personally. Just be grateful you weren't hurt by someone else's careless mistake.
Honey, it happens way too often. I mean, WTF? They're on the street. And when they blow stop signs, what the hell do they think could happen?

Old 09-07-2013, 11:34 AM

45,552 posts, read 60,783,308 times
And don't discount the pedestrians who don't know how to manipulate a crosswalk. You've seen them, "Should I cross or not?". They're on the sidewalk, then the cross walk, then back to the sidewalk, then back to the crosswalk. Then turn around to look behind them, then they walk backwards into the crosswalk, then turn around, again, then back onto the sidewalk.

Old 09-07-2013, 11:44 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,834,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by child of jupiter View Post
Honey, it happens way too often. I mean, WTF? They're on the street. And when they blow stop signs, what the hell do they think could happen?
The realization of what "could happen" is likely the reason for their shocked expressions once they realize their mistake.

Bad, inattentive driving is the cause of most accidents. Again, I wouldn't take it so personally.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:06 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,161,433 times
Some drivers are indeed distracted, and this coupled with being in a hurry many times too they forget they are driving a two ton death machine that can in only a second of not paying attention can have devastating consequences. Just last night driving back from upstate saw people on the phone. However, sometimes pedestrians get carried away with " The right of way" and just walk as the please. Not directed at the OP with the stop sign thing of course.

Point is, If you are driving-Just drive. Pull over if the phone can't wait.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:51 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,285,312 times
Lots of people are stupid.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:51 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,342,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
No need to take this personally ...
Just remember you will be personally dead if you don't jump out of their way fast enough.

My theory: it never occurs to many drivers that there's such a thing as a pedestrian. "They're probably the same people who own flip phones and 30-inch TVs."

Old 09-07-2013, 10:07 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,443,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
And don't discount the pedestrians who don't know how to manipulate a crosswalk. You've seen them, "Should I cross or not?". They're on the sidewalk, then the cross walk, then back to the sidewalk, then back to the crosswalk. Then turn around to look behind them, then they walk backwards into the crosswalk, then turn around, again, then back onto the sidewalk.
What I wish pedestrians waiting to cross the street intersection would do is not stand right at the curb and jump into the crosswalk at the first millisecond the light turns green. When I am a pedestrian, I stand away from the curb and make sure there is no car turning right (looking left at oncoming traffic and not looking at me).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships