Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 06:27 PM

11 posts, read 37,122 times

Advertisements

Have you ever had people in your extended family, neighbors, or coworkers who you have a personality conflict with to see things your way and now you are friendly with them? I always hear the term, "lets talk it out" or "we can work it out if we discuss it like adults." Sometimes severe personality conflicts can work themselves out with spouses because behind the conflict they may still love each other and NEED to make it work.

But with coworkers, extended family, friends, or neighbors, I have rarely seen any real success with talking out your differences? Have you, and how did it work out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 11:32 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,143,332 times
Not really most people are childish and it takes a mature person to want to meet someone half way to work out issues. In my personal life, the only time I encountered such an incidence was in high school. A girl started bullying me for no reason. One day I snapped and verbally let her have it. Im not a fighter so I pretty much figured I would endure death the following day. Oddly though, my standing up to her made her like me. She walked up to me the next day, told me I was pretty feisty for someone so small. She told me if anyone ever gave me trouble to let her know and that was that.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:40 AM

11 posts, read 37,122 times
So... talking it out with someone is fruitless?

Old 08-16-2012, 03:45 AM

148 posts, read 238,892 times
Default not neccessarily

well not exactly, but actions do speak louder than words.

awhile back in school after i had transfered somewhere i had a teacher that i had a hard time getting along with and talked with my science teacher. he told me he didnt like how i thought i was the new kid and so i was the hot shot that knew it all. i called his bluff and promptly failed the mid-term.

so i talked to him again, and told him i crashed and burned and that i accepted it and needed real help. i aced the final exam and went on to a big ten college that accepted me becuase i placed so high on the act score i was waived for the SAT. being humbled wasnt a bad thing, cuz i learned how to make my weakness strong. so in short i finally was able to convince my chemistry teacher whom i was certain that disliked me to finaly like me... worked out pretty good. i figured out humility is one of the best teachers.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:16 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,958,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Town Resident View Post
Have you ever had people in your extended family, neighbors, or coworkers who you have a personality conflict with to see things your way and now you are friendly with them? I always hear the term, "lets talk it out" or "we can work it out if we discuss it like adults." Sometimes severe personality conflicts can work themselves out with spouses because behind the conflict they may still love each other and NEED to make it work.

But with coworkers, extended family, friends, or neighbors, I have rarely seen any real success with talking out your differences? Have you, and how did it work out?
IME when people dont lkke me it is because their dislike is fueled by someone (including themself) talking about the person they dont like behind their back. The target of dislike never really has a chance, mainly because the target is used to boost the image of whoever is talking trash.
I have had friends that were great friends. Then something happened with me personnaly and these "great friends" had a hayday talking about my "mistake". I am still friends with these people, but I am no longer view them in the same light. I have learned that people may not like you, and there isnt much you can do about it. Even if they do like you, they may talk about you hehind your back anyway. People gossip, and if they don't like you, it will be even worse.

And sometimes, no matter how well you treat someone, their dislike for you may never go away. If I know someone doenst like me, I just be civil and avoid personnal conversation/information with them at all costs.
Sometimes you have to be political, but that doesnt mean I am goin to try to "win them over."

Old 08-17-2012, 08:44 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
I don't see much success either Small Town Resident, sometimes even when the differences are talked out. Guess some people are just real set in their ways, stubborn, with people like that, I think when their is finally peace and harmony, it's probabley only because someone loves them soooo much they're willing to put up with it.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:50 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times
My boss hated me. She was a raving bi-otch and a bully... I told her flat out if you don't want me fire me. If she wants to behave like a human being I will treat her the same.

She likes me now. Do I truly like her? Not really, but I am nice because now she is.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:12 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,954,054 times
No I don't try to become besties with them, but I will be civil if I have to work with someone I have a personality conflict with. I certainly don't spend time harping on why they don't like me; no loss to me

Old 08-17-2012, 09:37 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,328,244 times
you can't have everyone like you or agree with you...some are worth talking to, some not...

Old 08-17-2012, 10:36 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,543,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Town Resident View Post

I just make it a point to be friendly, positive and say nothing bad about them. It usually works. And, if nothing else, it makes you know you tried your very best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships