Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 04:02 PM

446 posts, read 997,020 times

Advertisements

I am currently living in a really cramped, dorm-style apartment. I share the room with another girl who never leaves the house. Seriously, ever. She's up til 5am, and sleeps til noon-1pm. A few weeks back, I NICELY let her know that the light from her laptop late at night makes it nearly impossible for me to sleep. It is distracting. I need darkness to sleep. I asked her if after a certain hour (midnight - 1am) if she could kindly go into the living room to use her laptop.

For the first few days, she did. When I asked if it was okay to turn the light out, she got the hint and went to the living room. But then all of a sudden she started challenging the whole idea. Instead of leaving, she'd lay there and continue chatting or whatever she does online. When I would ask her if she would leave the room, she would make it known that she didn't think she had to.. and then eventually she'd slooooowly and hesitantly go.

Last night was the same story. It was 1:30am, I had an early class, and I asked if she minded if I could turn the light off. 15 minutes later she's still there on her laptop. I asked her (not so gently this time) if she could PLEASE go to the living room. She sarcastically responded, "Is it really that bright??". To which I responded - "Yes, it IS that bright, we go over this every night. It is a distraction for me. Some people actually have to get up and do things the next day!" Then it dissolved into an argument after that, that ended with her storming out of the room and slamming doors all over the place.

Am I being that unreasonable? It's not like I'm going to bed at 9pm. I wait until after midnight- usually even after 1:30am to turn out the lights. And she is home in bed all day, every day on her laptop. She has all day to dick around on her laptop in bed, and she doesn't have anything to do in the mornings, so what's the problem? If I come home extra late and the light is out, I stay in the living room to do my business until I'm ready for bed. It's common decency, right? Or am I somehow out of line for asking her to leave the room?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 04:26 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,105,447 times
Not out of line at all. I'd be livid.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:49 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,679,746 times
Nope not out of line.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:52 PM

403 posts, read 867,279 times
You have as much right for darkness as she does to use her laptop where she wishes. Neither is wrong. What needs to happen is respect & compromise. Now, whether she leaves the house is irrelevant, her business not yours.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:58 PM

1,119 posts, read 1,370,651 times
can you buy one of those sleep masks? They work wonders.

Also sleeping aids (over the counter ones) are amazing

Old 08-16-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2byte View Post
You have as much right for darkness as she does to use her laptop where she wishes. Neither is wrong. What needs to happen is respect & compromise. Now, whether she leaves the house is irrelevant, her business not yours.
She can sit at home and rot all she wants, I just pointed it out because she is on her computer all DAY and I'm surprised that she's so offended at my request. It's not as if she's been out toiling all day and wants to relax in bed with her computer... she does that 20 hours a day already.

Sharing a room means compromise, I agree. If I had it my way, I'd be in bed by 11. Instead, I wait until after midnight. That's my compromise. I also go to the living room when I'm out extra late, no questions asked.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:08 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times
Most "dorm type" situations have one bed on one side of the room and the other bed on the other side of the room to give each person as much "space" as possible. Therefore, assuming that you have this kind of setup I would recommend that you put up some kind of light barrier between your side and hers. You can do this with some kind of partition or by stringing curtains up across the room or around your bed.

As a "night owl" myself, I know that I function much better at night than during the day. I would be very upset if some one tried to force me into their schedule because the light from my laptop was bothering them, since, presumably they pay just as much rent as you do.

If erecting a light barrier is not practical, then I would suggest looking into a sleeping mask as one of the other posters mentioned. They are inexpensive and do a good job. Personally, during the day I just put my head under the pillow and it works great for me. YMMV

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-16-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayita View Post
can you buy one of those sleep masks? They work wonders.

Also sleeping aids (over the counter ones) are amazing
Sleep aids... no, they make me groggy in the morning and eventually lose effectiveness. And then once you stop taking them, you can't sleep! I figure if all I need is a dark room, why mess up my body chemistry with unnecessary stuff?

I tried a sleep mask. Lol, call me neurotic but when I put it on, it made sleeping harder. My eyes would start watering and all I could think about was this heavy thing over my eyeballs.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Most "dorm type" situations have one bed on one side of the room and the other bed on the other side of the room to give each person as much "space" as possible. Therefore, assuming that you have this kind of setup I would recommend that you put up some kind of light barrier between your side and hers. You can do this with some kind of partition or by stringing curtains up across the room or around your bed.

As a "night owl" myself, I know that I function much better at night than during the day. I would be very upset if some one tried to force me into their schedule because the light from my laptop was bothering them, since, presumably they pay just as much rent as you do.

If erecting a light barrier is not practical, then I would suggest looking into a sleeping mask as one of the other posters mentioned. They are inexpensive and do a good job. Personally, during the day I just put my head under the pillow and it works great for me. YMMV

20yrsinBranson

I'm not forcing her into my schedule. She can stay up as late as she wants, but if she's already been in the room all day, what's the problem with going to the living room? She has an entire house to clack away at her computer. If I was going to bed at 8pm, I'd understand. But I wait until early morning. It is her choice to keep the sleeping schedule that she does. She DOESN'T work, she doesn't do anything, so if anyone can afford to do any adjusting, you'd think it'd be her. I'd grant her the same courtesy. The times that she has fallen asleep or has been sick, I took my business to the living room after a certain hour.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:14 PM

1,119 posts, read 1,370,651 times
you can get 2 bottles of herbal sleeping aids at the cvs, I suffer from insomnia and trust me they are amazing.

No chemicals and no dependence issues, they are all natural
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships