Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 08:02 PM

1,713 posts, read 1,108,476 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else find this tedious? I would far rather people not talk to me about their dating lives at all, let alone expect me to go along with their fantasies.

I have a friend whose prospects are about as limited as his social skills. He’s extremely cheap, lives at home with Mum and Dad in his forties, doesn’t drive and rarely leaves the house if he can avoid it. I’m no expert, but it’s fair to say this isn’t a great formula for success at love.

None of this prevents him from boring me to death about various women in his life who he’s convinced were or still are interested in him, and offering half baked theories from the entry level semester of psychology he did to explain why things didn’t work out between them. The truth is obvious, but no matter how politely or often I change the subject, we always end up discussing this.

I would rather come to terms with no-one being interested and get on with living my life than kid myself that everyone from the hairdresser to the receptionist at my doctor’s surgery wanting to have my children, but my friend’s illusions aren’t mine to shatter. It takes all sorts to make a world, even if its conversations go around in ever narrowing circles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 11:18 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,551,948 times
Set up a double date night, your partner will be with you, he brings his. Hilarity ensues, in terms of excuses.

Old 11-15-2018, 11:39 PM

I did something similar once by arranging to catch up with one of his love interests (also an acquaintance of mine) and inviting him too. This, I hoped, would clear up the situation one way or the other without my having to draw a diagram or clunk their heads together.

It didn't work. They resolved nothing and ended up fighting like an old married couple over which dessert to order. I left them to it and went to the movies on my own. The Lobster was quite good.

Old 11-16-2018, 12:20 AM

5,324 posts, read 6,104,762 times
You sound like a great friend talking terribly about him.

If I were him I would not want you trying to set him up when you think so little of him.

Old 11-16-2018, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
You sound like a great friend talking terribly about him.
After thirty years I'm a little tired. Can you blame me? Every week he has a new moment of clarity about why x, y or z didn't happen, but makes no effort to improve himself or his chances.

Old 11-16-2018, 12:01 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,353,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles76 View Post
After thirty years I'm a little tired. Can you blame me? Every week he has a new moment of clarity about why x, y or z didn't happen, but makes no effort to improve himself or his chances.
30 years, huh?

You held in pretty good. Yeah, that is tiring. At one point, I just roll my eyes at people like that. They know the problem, but they don't do anything to fix it and they take the insanity route (doing the same thing, expecting different results).

Old 11-16-2018, 12:04 PM

52,291 posts, read 52,734,263 times
I don't recall ever running across a person that thought everyone was into them. Maybe I have, if I did I can't remember.

It would be annoying to be around a person like that.

Old 11-16-2018, 12:08 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,353,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I don't recall ever running across a person that thought everyone was into them. Maybe I have, if I did I can't remember.

It would be annoying to be around a person like that.
There was one person I dealt with like that. They can be pretty funny. But when they get evidence of the contrary, they can be either vindictive (e.g. a friend who notices that a woman that was "into him" was giving me attention) or they can have interesting ways of coping.

And I will admit that I had my days when I was reaching the danger zone of such an inflated ego, unfortunately.

Old 11-16-2018, 12:13 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,727,352 times
Meh, I don't really know anyone who assumes that everybody wants them.

I'm the exact opposite, when people tell me that someone is into me, I either deny it or brush it off.

Old 11-16-2018, 01:30 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,458,244 times
Someone within my extended family is this way.
Everything is related to how interesting people find them. I find them unpleasant to try and converse with since you have to reword yourself in ways that appeal to them or to fit their interests so they can feel engaged and important to the conversation.

They mask it well with their forward facing public face, but the more you get to know them the more you start to see the facade they put up is just to appeal to people.

I could go on wih examples of their behavior, but even thinking about this person kinda annoys me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships