Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 02:39 AM

924 posts, read 1,643,645 times

Advertisements

This guy is driving me to madness, making noises that I didn't know a human was capable of making. He moans, groans, talks in his sleep and snores and it's preventing me from sleeping / making me very tired during the day. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 05:19 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Foam ear plugs.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:47 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewelyn View Post
This guy is driving me to madness, making noises that I didn't know a human was capable of making. He moans, groans, talks in his sleep and snores and it's preventing me from sleeping / making me very tired during the day. Any suggestions?
Move?

Old 09-11-2012, 08:05 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,449,141 times
He MAY have sleep apnea.

Speak to him about this problem.

If he DOES have sleep apnea, he is a candidate for a sleep study, to confirm the diagnosis, and to get him fitted with a sleep apnea mask and machine.

I used to do the same kinds of things, in my sleep, and it WAS driving my wife crazy.

Now, with my face mask and positive pressure air supply, I sleep WELL and Quietly.

Sleep apnea causes the person to STOP breathing, many times a night, and they wake up feeling horrible, as they didn't get to the deep level of sleep that is needed to rest and recover.

Talk to roomie, and ask him to read about sleep apnea, and see if he has the basic symptoms that this disease presents.

Good Luck.

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Move?
What like ask to be assigned a new roommate? Besides that, he's not that bad so I'd feel like kind of a dick for switching, but if it doesn't get better I may not have a choice. Had to skip morning classes and catch sleep while he was awake, was awful.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:18 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,195,845 times
It's early in the semester. Now is the time to move if you can, before you have to start worrying about mid-terms.

In the meantime, get earplugs.

I feel for you. My sophomore year I had a roomie who snored, and it drove me up a wall. She was a doll, though, and very easy to live with, so for the next semester, I ended up rearranging my classes so my sleep pattern was a little bit different than hers. Plus, by then I had a boyfriend, so I wasn't around as much. The year after that, I got a single room. If you're really sensitive and there's a dorm with single rooms, you might want to look into that for next year. I lucked out and got one as part of a two-woman suite such that we had our own rooms but shared a bathroom instead of having to go down the hall for showers, etc.

Or, if there are dorm rooms with more than two people but have study alcoves and walk-in closets, you could do what my four roommates and I did my freshman year: Claim an alcove for your bed. It might be cramped, and if you fall out of bed you'll be under a desk or something, but having a door is worth it. Of the five of us, no one slept in the main room. Two were in the side room and the rest of us had alcoves--which made the main room a great "living room" for parties. Not that I would encourage such things in a dorm. No, never.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:22 AM

1,523 posts, read 1,953,487 times
Put a pillow over his face

Old 09-11-2012, 10:56 AM

1,566 posts, read 2,158,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
He MAY have sleep apnea.

Speak to him about this problem.

If he DOES have sleep apnea, he is a candidate for a sleep study, to confirm the diagnosis, and to get him fitted with a sleep apnea mask and machine.

I used to do the same kinds of things, in my sleep, and it WAS driving my wife crazy.

Now, with my face mask and positive pressure air supply, I sleep WELL and Quietly.

Sleep apnea causes the person to STOP breathing, many times a night, and they wake up feeling horrible, as they didn't get to the deep level of sleep that is needed to rest and recover.

Talk to roomie, and ask him to read about sleep apnea, and see if he has the basic symptoms that this disease presents.

Good Luck.

Jim B

Toronto.
This! My brother has/had it. It's a very serious conditon and can be fatal. He should definitely research it and look into it. I can't stress that enough. My brother had it badly. It was actually quite scary to witness.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:34 AM

I figure if he's lived with it all his life, he has an idea of his snoring right? Is it on me to let him know?

Old 09-11-2012, 01:20 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldyViolet View Post
This! My brother has/had it. It's a very serious conditon and can be fatal. He should definitely research it and look into it. I can't stress that enough. My brother had it badly. It was actually quite scary to witness.
I occasionally suffer from this it seems, And it's quite common apparently. Good post Goldy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships