U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 07:11 AM

3,856 posts, read 7,820,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I'm surprised none of you get accused of being gay.
A single woman or man with no kids= gay to some people.
I don't no why.
They might not say it but I'm sure they are thinking it.

Im almost certain that some people think this about me. I'm a single childless woman who is in her mid-thirties. Oh and I have short hair too.

All I need are some Birkenstocks and a Subaru and I'll be all set.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 09:33 AM

6,493 posts, read 10,486,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
They might not say it but I'm sure they are thinking it.

Im almost certain that some people think this about me. I'm a single childless woman who is in her mid-thirties. Oh and I have short hair too.

All I need are some Birkenstocks and a Subaru and I'll be all set.
I'm single, CF, mid 50's, short hair, and have always worn comfortable shoes. I'm SURE people wonder about me.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:04 AM

4,308 posts, read 12,267,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
I'm single, CF, mid 50's, short hair, and have always worn comfortable shoes. I'm SURE people wonder about me.
I KNOW people have wondered about me. Our receptionist at a previous job I had actually told people I must be gay because I had short hair and was in my early 40s with no boyfriend or husband in tow. Apparently wearing high heels didn't count

Old 09-18-2012, 11:13 AM

64,684 posts, read 61,009,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Trying being the parent of only one child.

"what? only one? do you want your child to be lonely?"

"only one? do you have something wrong with you?"

"oh wow, I bet your child is really spoiled and doesn't know how to share"

oh and my ALL time favorite.....drum roll...

"what would do you do if your child died?"

I am always surprised at what others think is acceptable to say to others.
Oh my God at that last one. No one has ever said that to me. I don't think I would speak with him or her again if they did.

No one really ever said those things to me, except that I do remember one coworker telling me "I had to have another one." My mother was taking care of my daughter while I supported the family, and I just couldn't dump another baby in her lap and my now-ex had no interest in being a real husband and father. It worked out for the best--I have one very great kid.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:22 PM

8,350 posts, read 11,584,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
I KNOW people have wondered about me. Our receptionist at a previous job I had actually told people I must be gay because I had short hair and was in my early 40s with no boyfriend or husband in tow. Apparently wearing high heels didn't count
That was NONE of her business.
What an idiot receptionist

Old 09-18-2012, 03:34 PM

7,477 posts, read 10,483,838 times
Novel idea: people who don't want children probably shouldn't have them.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:34 PM

987 posts, read 1,233,908 times
Now you single ladies got me wondering what you all look like in your 30s, 40s and 50s! Seriously, no pun intended!
All I got was that you all have short hair!

Old 09-18-2012, 03:54 PM

4,308 posts, read 12,267,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
That was NONE of her business.
What an idiot receptionist
She was a sweet lady but not the brightest bulb

Old 09-18-2012, 04:32 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,807,203 times
I was asked last year by a friend's friend that was invited to a get together at a co workers house if my wife and I didn't find it boring never to have had kids.

My answer to her is that next spring we will be taking a European tour of former eastern block countries and once we return and are rested we'll be climbing Mount Rainer and enjoying deep sea fishing of the shore of Washington state.

That shut her up.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:00 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,500,256 times
Jeez do I ever know that look and a lot worse. It's like how dare I not have a child or not be married. Then it's the attitude that I must not like children since I don't have any and the 'why aren't you married?' of all the insensitive stupid questions to ask when they aren't even interested themselves in having a relationship with you. Never mind that it takes two and not up to just one of the two to marry. It's right up there with the stupidity of 'you are an atheist if you're not religious' (with the judgemental look of disgust) what a person doesn't believe in god just because they don't believe in following dogma and church rules. Another one 'oh well you look like you would have children' is that suppose to be a nice way of saying hey you are fat so I assumed it was from having children. Another one 'you must be christian because you are a nice person' as if only nice people are christian or all nice people are christian.

I think your aquantance is most likely divorced from all the Mothers of his 10 children or never married them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships